PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Outboards

HavasuDreamin'
02-13-2002, 09:08 AM
Question on Yamaha outboards and repairs. Possibly looking into purchasing a used Stoker Tunnel that has a Yamaha 225 on it. Not sure what year just yet as I haven't made contact with the seller, but I have a couple of preliminary concerns that I would like user feedback on. My questions are:
1 - are these good/reliable motors
2 - do they respond well to hop up mod's
3 - most important, is there a reputable high performance Yamaha Shop in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.
Thanks for all the help! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

snappertapper
02-14-2002, 07:16 AM
they are good reliable motors and they should respond well to mods and i dont know of any yamaha performance shops in that areaquestions please email me at bigfish1229@aol.com

usedhiperfprops
04-08-2002, 11:11 AM
They are very good reliable outboards and start and run good. They DO NOT respond as well to hop ups as merc does and there is very little available for them aftermarket. The only place to go for aftermarket Yamie stuff is www.hydrotecmarine.com (http://www.hydrotecmarine.com) They work as good as the will get stock so don't waste a lot of money besides things like nose cone and low water pick up. You can easily disconnect the rev limiter by sniping one wire on the back of the block in that black plastic box. The biggest thing a miss about my Yamaha is the ease of starting compared to my Merc 2.5 With my Yamaha it took just a flick of the key warm or cold motor.
barryb@ndak.net

cavey lavey
04-08-2002, 08:46 PM
I AGREE EXTREMLY RELIABLE MOTORS GOOD ELECTRONICS AND THEY START WRITE UP, BUT THEY DONT REV. LIKE A MERC. AND THEN WHAT DOES.

snappertapper
04-09-2002, 07:42 AM
a johnson revs like a merc

HavasuDreamin'
04-09-2002, 08:15 AM
I'm callin' BS on OMC's reving like a Merc. No offense Snapper, maybe yours does, but a stock HO OMC will not rev like a stock Merc 2.5. In fact, what does the manual say. I know a 2.5 Merc's optimum rpm is 7500. What is it for a stock HO OMC?
Is there a high po Yamaha shop in LA?
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited April 09, 2002).]

snappertapper
04-09-2002, 11:50 AM
well anyone who runs stock omc's in racing ohas no business in it to start with and yes mine will rev like a merc

cavey lavey
04-09-2002, 06:19 PM
hey hd snap is an exeption to the rule, but put the same mone he has in his omc into a merc. and see what happens. sorry, snapper but hd was ony using the 260. he didnt even used the 280 crusing at 7800 rpm. ouch.

HavasuBarney
04-10-2002, 12:57 AM
I run all Mercury but there are some VERY bad ass, high reving OMC's out there.
Come by speed alley talking that OMC stuff, there might be one or two that will change your mind. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

snappertapper
04-10-2002, 06:21 AM
i will agree that mercs are bad ass motors but the truth is i dont have very much money in mine because i do all of my work myself from start to finish, there is a guy down the street from me that races 3 cyl johnsons and he makes them runn 11,000+ rpm's by runing a special intake made for v-6 carbs and other mods as well

HavasuDreamin'
04-10-2002, 11:35 AM
I am a Merc man, but I do know that Dave Bush can make an OMC run. I also know that he can make a Yamaha run..........and blow up by tweaking the jetting little by little, by little by BAM! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Seriously though, Bush was running MSD ignition on his OMC, and I'm sure an after- market intake, carbs, pistons, heads, rods, reeds, shorty mid-section, etc. What else is left besides the block and cowling. Kind of like the NHRA funny car or pro stock guys saying they're running Fords or Chevys or Mopars <----- BS. Its all aftermarket, TFX, KB, DART, Brodix, Holley, etc.

snappertapper
04-10-2002, 11:55 AM
yea i hear ya

cavey lavey
04-10-2002, 05:09 PM
you guys rock.

snappertapper
04-10-2002, 05:18 PM
who rocks??

HavasuBarney
04-12-2002, 04:58 PM
I keep hearing nothing but good about those Yamaha's also. I hear Yamaha and Merc have teamed up for a 4 stroke project also....

snappertapper
04-12-2002, 05:17 PM
yea i heard about the 4-stroke projest too but im not a big fan of them so i also hear good things of yamahas

Capitalist
04-16-2002, 11:04 AM
The Yamaha motor is the best motor avalible in north america. It is basically a perfected OMC (that is where the original idea came from.) The quality of the components is far superior to Slomc and Merc. They respond VERY well to hop ups, their are a lot of 300+hp 2.6 liter Yamahas running around, they respond far better to mods then merc (they are already close to tapped), and the parts last a lot longer.
I would not pass up on Yamaha, they will run with the best of them.
It should also be noted that, that RPM is a stray number, it really doesn't mean much, mercs rev because the have no torque, the slOMC's and Yammis have torque, and as such do not need to scream to make power.
RT

snappertapper
04-16-2002, 11:41 AM
THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES I LOVE OMCS AND YAMERHAMMERS BUT MERCS ARE GOOD TO JUST NOT MY PREFERENCE THATS ALL

HavasuDreamin'
04-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Is capitalist a Yamaha sales rep? Hmmm.... sure seems like it. Anyway, I started this thread because my dad is trying to find a good CLEAN used Stoker (flat deck) with a MERC. To say the least, they are few and far between. He came across one with a Yamaha, but there is no reputable high performance Yamaha dealer in Southern California, so he passed. Dad doesn't like to wrench anymore, therefore he needs a good reliable shop to take it to.
We all have particular brands we like, my dad and I just happen to be Mercury men, but I do feel that OMC and Yamaha make a good product.

Whatboat
04-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Canadians don't like mercurys. never have. Don't matter what you buy, you could get a good one or a bad one. however, on a unlimited budget, there is Nothing that will out rev a 2.5 merc. As for 4 stroke wait till you see mercs new high hp motors.
the numbers are incredible. And there are no Yammydog parts on them .

cavey lavey
04-16-2002, 04:13 PM
COUGAR HAS BEEN HANGING NOTHING BUT MERCS ON THEIR TUNNELS, ( CANADIAN BASED BUILDERS) HAS ANYONE SEEN A YAM OR AN OMC ON ONE IN THE PAST FEW YEARS?

snappertapper
04-16-2002, 05:23 PM
yes i have it will ahng with mercs too

Capitalist
04-17-2002, 07:07 AM
I am Canadian and own 7 mercs right now, and you can bet that the mercs will need a lot more wrenching then a Yamaha.
Their you have it a merc owner pushing another product.
ET

snappertapper
04-17-2002, 07:36 AM
i will admit that an omc takes alot of wrench time as well but one thing they have going for them is that they are simple