Skater18Turbo, turbo OB for real?
Cool! Gotta be a rare item.
FCnLa!

FCnLA
11-26-2000, 05:39 PM
He must be pullin' our leg..........

BW1969
12-01-2000, 07:20 PM
I believe Land & Sea produced a turbo for outboards for a little while. I remember seeing a picture.

FCnLA
12-02-2000, 09:55 AM
Not sayin'they didn't make one. Gota Land and Sea cat. has a picture of one. Just, is there really someone that has one on a 18' Skater with a 2.0L Merc turbo running close to a 100mph??!! Should have thought of the chance that it really exists or someone pullin' my leg before I made a post.:O........FC

Skater18Turbo
12-06-2000, 07:12 PM
Yes its for real. It started out as a land and sea kit but because of several problems with there design, its mostly custom now.
The boat has had a turbo on it for 3 of the last 5 years I have owned it.
I have some pictures and will get them on as soon as I can get them scanned.
I would not pull your leg about this.

FCnLA
12-07-2000, 08:19 AM
Good deal! I like exotic stuff. Looking forward to the pics. Does all that fit under a cowling?
Good Day. FC

Skater18Turbo
12-08-2000, 06:18 PM
I have a cowl that will cover the package but I have switched to the stock Warner Ishi exhaust housing. It gets way to hot to cover with the cowl besides the cowl is so long it looks goofey.
I see you also have a tunnel, what is the bottom like on that boat? Center pod? Steps?
A turbo would add alot of power to that rude of yours, no port or intake work nesessary my 150 dynoed 300 at 7000 rpm.
Any idea how I put a picture on this thing?
Thanks for the interest in my boat.

FCnLA
12-11-2000, 05:21 PM
It has a center pod with a pad and steps on each side of the pod that are about 2"x2" and about 30" long. Youngblood, builder and designer of my boat, want's to change it up some when we blueprint the bottom this winter. It is a picklefork making its real lenth about 16'5". The boat is similar to a Liberator but is lower profile and a BUNCH lighter. No turbo for this motor, but a turbo V4 looper would be cool though. Would like to see pics of your rig. In the jet boats forum under terrible timing there is a post with some instuctions for posting a pic. I haven't had any luck with it though. Got a pic scanned but having trouble from there. U C, I'ma kinda compooter dumb.
Good day, FC.

Skater18Turbo
12-16-2000, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a good design, should lift and get dry fast. Does the boat run on the pad or is the center pod higher than the sponsons? My boat lifts the center completely out of the water at speed, later skaters didnt have the center pod and are faster on top but mine seems to handle rougher water better. Here are some pics, the first pic shows my boat on the far right next to two big brothers, Scott's 24 with twin 2.5s and Dan's 24 with triple 2.5s. The second pic is at my dock at Gun Lake, I'm on the dock. The third pic is a closer look but its upside down. A lot has changed since these were taken but I think you'll get the idea. Later, Todd.
http://home.wmis.net/~tfoote/beach.jpg
http://home.wmis.net/~tfoote/klaus.jpg
<A HREF="http://home.wmis.net/~tfoote/turb.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://home.wmis.net/~tfoote/turb.jpg
</A>
[This message has been edited by Skater18Turbo (edited December 16, 2000).]

FCnLA
12-17-2000, 11:40 PM
Man, what a wicked lookn' ride! With all the chrome and polished aluminium, who would want to cover that up. It would be cool if you had one so you could play with the unsuspecting, though. Ever look at http://www.screamandfly.com/ ? You ought to make boat of the month with that one. I'll make it one day. It wouldn't happen to be intercooled too, would it?
Mine runs on the center pod with a pad, with the sponsons out of the water. How much does your hull weigh? Mine completely bare, when new was about 350#. I was going to blueprint it, but working on a chance for a new hull. Going to start on the plug and mold next month, hopefully. Got to get the old man, "Moses", going.
Good day. FC
PS. Your brothers' boats look awesome, but too big for me (like small boat, BIG motor). Oh yea, where are you? No specifics, just general. I'm in NE Louisiana. Just guessing, but looks like yall are in the south too.

BillyD
12-22-2000, 04:02 PM
Do you know if the current Skater 21 has a center pad or not? What do you think an honest top end is for that boat (lightly loaded with top-end prop) with a Merc 300X ProMax (supposedly about 325-330 HP)? What modifications were necessary to make the turbo work properly? I know that Bob Bergeron developed it at Land and Sea. Has anyone ever developed a belt-driven supercharger for an outboard? Might be next since we now have belt-driven Optimax injection systems. Would not need as much "plumbing" as a turbo. My first post. Looks like a good site. Thanks!

Skater18Turbo
12-22-2000, 05:41 PM
Well its kinda a sleeper even with the goodys showing. In big water I get alot of V boats that think they have an edge, They soon learn how well a Skater works in rough water, even the baby one.
Yes its intercooled, that was the first thing I changed. Its in the land and sea housing but the exchanger is custom and much stronger than the original.
Whats it like driving your boat? I have visions of Hydrostreams and Alisons, lots of steering wheel action to stay on the pad. Am I even close? Other than some torque steer and a wiggle to get loose my boat is like driving a car.
Im afraid to even guess what mine weighs. Its alot more than yours.
Sounds like your going to redefine starting from scratch with the next boat. Is it going to be similar to the one you have now? Be careful during testing, its scary going were nobody has been before.
We are from Gun Lake Michigan, thats about 35 miles from the Skater factory in Douglas Michigan.
To BillyD,
All Skaters have a similar design now and don't have the center pod. They work great, the 24 with twins is over a 100 MPH, a 24 with tripples will get you close to 130 MPH.
I don't know much about the 21 and how much power it needs but I would be surprised if it didnt go at least close to 100 MPH. If your looking for a fast boat that can handle rough water, the Skater cant be beat.
I dont think a two stroke can be supercharged, A turbo increases both exhaust and intake pressure making the engine think its operating in a very dense atmosphere (like way below sea level) A supercharger would only increase intake pressure. But then again one of the first things I read about Turbos was they would'nt work on a two stroke, I'd like to give that guy a ride.
One last thing, I would love to have Scott and Dan as brothers but I was refering to there 24 Skaters being My 18's big brothers.
Hope everyone has a good holiday, Todd.

BillyD
12-23-2000, 07:21 AM
Guess who is one of the people that said turbos would not work on a two-stroke?......Bob Bergeron who ultimately developed it!! I have an old letter from Bob where he says he does not think it would work because all of the pressure boost would go right out the exhaust (self-defeating cycle). A few years later, he came up with a way. It is my understanding that the Mercury Optimax system (as well as other direct injection systems)does its "direct injection" after the exhaust port is closed by the piston. With that approach, it seems a supercharger could be made to work. As a matter of fact, I have been told that direct injection is somewhat similar to a supercharger except that the pressure/volume combination of the air/fuel mixture is not enough to significantly boost horsepower over what a regular EFI or carb engine would develop. The benefit is, therefore, primarily environmental and better idle, not horsepower. Will be interesting to see what develops in the next few years since Mercury continues to pour quite a bit of money into developing new and better high performance engines. Still waiting for the new 225X ProMax that was put on hold. Should be a real nice engine.

Skater18Turbo
12-23-2000, 08:27 PM
You might be onto something here. The bottom end of a 2 stroke is just an air pump. A good blower might be more efficient. But that project is for someone else.
So are you going to get a Skater? What do you have now?
Later, Todd.

FCnLA
12-26-2000, 07:04 PM
Skater18Turbo,
Out of the hole, ya just point it straight and hang on. On top end (bottom's not straight) I turn it just a little, can get it up to the 6800's with a 26 pitch and it starts wiggling, solo. With two, it's like riding on a lazyboy. New boats same design but 20', two more added in the deck. Not much OB testing, but BFJ same type hull went over 148 mph in the liquid 1/4.
Boy was I off on the location. Thought I saw a lilly pad and the banks look like a lot around here. I need to get out (of state) more.
BillyD, I've heard of supercharged 2 strokes (turbo is a supercharger of sorts,just powered by expanding exhaust gasses instead of a belt). I'm not sure if was rotor type or centrifugal, but I heard they would run like hell but weren't reliable. Not to say you could not build a reliable one. I think I read it on the Scream and Fly message boards. If you like you can check their archives.
Happy Hollidays.

Skater18Turbo
12-27-2000, 05:36 PM
FCnLA, we have lilly pads in michigan.
If you ever do get this way, plan to visit Hardy Pond. Its a great boating spot, one of the only places you can go as fast as you want without much fear of getting a ticket. (We have a state wide 55 mph speed limit in MI)
Today I heard OMC went out of buisiness. Hope that doesnt make getting parts harder.
Take care, Todd.