PDA

View Full Version : CHP punched two big holes in my hull - Totaled?

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 07:30 PM
What do you think it is gonna cost to get this repaired - or is this now totaled?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162849

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Here are the pics of the damage

YeLLowBoaT
09-01-2007, 07:34 PM
ask ducky

holorinhal
09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Those holes are very fixable,fairly easy ,if you have some skills. Hardest part would be the gell coat blending.However if You want a profetional opinion, You should hit up Toddnjuzz (TRG fiberglass) or Ducky.Both are very good,but Todd is in Your neck of the woods.
If it were Me I would probobly atempt the repair Myself,but I do alot of glass work,for my self,but by no means a professional.
I feel bad for you,but I dont think it is totaled.Good luck....Hal

speedymopars
09-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. I'm still having nightmares about the crash, hence the reason I'm on ***boat at 3AM on a saturday....it's really depressing at the moment...

jimslade
09-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Easy fix. gel matching needs to be done by an expert.

gome inc.
09-02-2007, 10:59 PM
z best in lake elsinore has done some recent work for me. Turned out nice and for a fair price. its a little drive from the o.c. but i had the same nightmares you have had and they put them to rest.

old rigger
09-03-2007, 08:43 AM
You want the best to fix your boat go to Sal over at Orange County boat repair. He's in Stanton, 714 827 6247. He and Kenny at BK boat repair in Bellflower are the best glass guys around. Period. :)

DUCKY
09-05-2007, 07:49 AM
From an insurance company standpoint, that damage may qualify as a "total loss" simply due to the age of the hull and it's "actual cash value", depending on your policy type.
From a reality standpoint (also read as customer pay, or direct pay) it's not even close. You and I both know that your boat is worth more that what NADA probably says it is. Without seeing it in person it's tough to say, but I would guess that type of damage might cost in the low $2k range to repair, assuming that the de-lamination is contained. If the areas de-lam'ed badly, or the access is excessively difficult, it could be more.
If you need anything, feel free to ask.

speedymopars
09-07-2007, 05:14 PM
From an insurance company standpoint, that damage may qualify as a "total loss" simply due to the age of the hull and it's "actual cash value", depending on your policy type.
From a reality standpoint (also read as customer pay, or direct pay) it's not even close. You and I both know that your boat is worth more that what NADA probably says it is. Without seeing it in person it's tough to say, but I would guess that type of damage might cost in the low $2k range to repair, assuming that the de-lamination is contained. If the areas de-lam'ed badly, or the access is excessively difficult, it could be more.
If you need anything, feel free to ask.
Hmm, I am being told $1800, which I was thinking was high. Maybe not then??? At this point everything is out of pocket, so I'm freaking out at the moment financially. Right now I've spent $10K, and I still have to buy a trailer, fix the holes, and then make the outside look pretty with new trim, gel/paint. I'm thinking $18K (that I don't have) by the time I get done, and I'll have a $12K boat? Maybe? I don't know, what do you guys think it would be worth? Everything would be new. How much does it normally run to redo the outside (paint / gel / whatever is the new hot setup)?
Thanks...

DUCKY
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Try punching a couple of holes in your car that size and see how much your local body shop wants to repair it...... Since sheet metal panels are replaceable, and the body panels are non-structural, auto body repairs are much less labor intensive, and it would still be more money....
PS, If CHP did this damage to your boat, why are you paying for it?

speedymopars
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
It's a tit for tat where the tow driver / crane operators are saying that was already there, and my photos shows he is a lying POS.
Progress today though, they came buy and did an evaluation, so they may actually think there is merit. Otherwise, I need to sue as I think it is an open and shut case. I am really hoping it doesn't get there.
I found that I can be made whole again for 6k for gelcoat + 2K trim and all the other little stuff + $2300 trailer. The tow company may pay for 2K of that. So another 8.3K on top of the 10K I've already spent.
...Or I can buy a new 2008 21 foot open bow hull and build it up for 15-20K that would be worth 38k the instant I get it, but somehow I think I will just be spending more money and never recover it. Not that I am going to with how it stands now....
I don't know, what would you do?
$18,000 for an all new 74
$33,000 for an all new 08
Then there is the tax / registration thing too....
I could just have the holes repaired, but I found out that whoever did the boat before me used Automotive paint, so they would need to completely strip it otherwise they can't blend it. The paint is flaking off anytime anything gets near it. You will be able to see the repairs, and I have a few other things that happened in the accident that I need to fix anyway. Probably makes more sense to get it all done.