PDA

View Full Version : 1971 1350 Mercury

Ken at the POR
08-15-2001, 02:04 PM
I have a 16' Challenger boat, made in Montclair, CA in the early 70's. I am the original owner, boat has a 1971 135 HP Merc, it still runs but is very tired. About 5 years ago, I lost reverse, so I had the lower unit gone thru. EVERYTHING was gone, so everything was replaced except the cases. Had a nose cone installed, so now the lower unit is virtually new but the power head is very weak. Have not done a compression test, but after 30 years, things have got to be bad. It starts and idles smoothly, but just really down on power. Question is, should I be looking at a new/newer motor or should I consider having this one rebuilt. New 150's and 175's seem to be in the 8 to 10 thousand range, and I don't have a clue what kind of money it would take to freshen this one up or even if its worth putting money into. If anybody out there has any idea's, I'm open for your opinions or help!! Thanks again!

Bowman
08-15-2001, 04:30 PM
You'll be up for a reasonable amount to freshen up the old motor and once you do you'll still have an old motor.Are parts still readily available. Youll need New bearing kit,Gaskets,rings etc. How about taking the heads off and inspecting the bores. That may give you some idea about the block condition.
Has it ever had a freshen up???
I kind of like the idea of getting it up and going again just for the heck of having a motor of that age but monetary common sense may dictate otherwise.

Ken at the POR
08-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your info. I know its hard to believe, but this motor has NEVER been down or even had the head off. The carbs have never been touched and it has NEVER even been tuned up!! I have replaced the plugs 6 or 8 times, have always run Mercury oil at the 40:1 ration. I have only replaced batteries and one vacume line just below the flywheel. It starts every time, idles smooth, just down on power. Still pulls 5500 to 5800 RPM but I am reluctant to spin it that high because of its age. It does have power trim/tilt, spins a 19" two blade, it used to pull a 21" two blade but was tough pulling big skiers out of deep water. It works best now with a 3 blade 19". Money is not the issue, but are we riding a dead horse here or what!! I just don't know whether to keep it original or not. From some friends I have heard some real horror stories about the later model Merc's. Would like to stay with Merc but I have heard great things about Yamaha & Suzuki. I would like to keep it all American but that maybe like trying to buy a camera made in America. Somebody just needs to push me over the edge. Any more ideas or suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks again to all that reply!! Ken

Doug77
08-23-2001, 03:42 PM
Forget about the Yamaha or Suzuki, I have a 18 foot 1982 Charger with a 1980 Mercury 200 that was built in Canada and it has never been rebuilt and still runs good. The motor spins a 14X30 Chopper. The Yamaha and Suzuki models are built more for the cruising boats rather than the high performance boats. Once on my lake I had a run with a Canadian edition Hydro Stream which is a very fast and well performing boat. It had a vertical lift, nose cone, chopper prop on a 200hp Yamaha. I ran with him down the lake with me and my three boys in the my boat and the Hydro Stream had two full grown men in it. We had about the same weight in both our boats because my boys were young at the time. Anyways I ran with him up the lake, it took him about three miles to finally pass me. Keep in mind I have no nose cone, no vertical lift and no after market work done to the engine. At the time the Yamaha was 11 years newer than mine. When we stopped to talk I asked him how fast we were running and he told me about 75 miles per hour according to his speedo. He said his boat does approx. 80 miles per hour. I rest my case, buy any merc V6 and I'm sure you will be happy with it.
[This message has been edited by Doug77 (edited August 23, 2001).]

WOODY
09-07-2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Ken at the POR:
I have a 16' Challenger boat, made in Montclair, CA in the early 70's. I am the original owner, boat has a 1971 135 HP Merc, it still runs but is very tired. About 5 years ago, I lost reverse, so I had the lower unit gone thru. EVERYTHING was gone, so everything was replaced except the cases. Had a nose cone installed, so now the lower unit is virtually new but the power head is very weak. Have not done a compression test, but after 30 years, things have got to be bad. It starts and idles smoothly, but just really down on power. Question is, should I be looking at a new/newer motor or should I consider having this one rebuilt. New 150's and 175's seem to be in the 8 to 10 thousand range, and I don't have a clue what kind of money it would take to freshen this one up or even if its worth putting money into. If anybody out there has any idea's, I'm open for your opinions or help!! Thanks again!
Hey Ken, that's a good old OB. I have several of those sixes and love every one.
Easy to rebuild and tons of parts around cheep. Check the reed cage lab. seal though,
propably wore. Rebuild and your good for anouther 30 or so years .
p.s. Don't try and remove the heads, there are none.
WOODY