PDA

View Full Version : PORT WORK

TIMEBOMB
01-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know where on the west coast I can get a 2.4L exhaust chest ported? And also who makes a good set of aftermarket heads for the same motor? I had a set of 150 heads but they got trashed when a couple of piston ring locating pins came out. :( Thanks, Gary

HavasuDreamin'
01-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Dick Sherrer Marine out of Downey, CA. Does good work. You would want Ed Lane to work on the motor.
I would also trust Lakeland out of LHC.....which is closer to you. Good Luck!

TIMEBOMB
01-21-2003, 06:55 PM
I have already dealt with Richie over at Lakeland and have no complaints. He helped me out quite a bit with the internals for the motor I am running now. Thanks for the info. Gary. :cool:

simon
01-22-2003, 10:08 AM
I do alot of port work on v6 mercs.You can check out my website at www.simonmotorsports.com (http://www.simonmotorsports.com) I have a shop in southern ca. 619-445-7628 Thanks, Eric Simon

O.B eddie
01-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Richie does great work even does nos..!!

TIMEBOMB
01-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks again, Gary. :cool:

STV_Keith
01-24-2003, 02:10 PM
I sent my 2.4 BP EFI to Jim Ruck. He ported the exhaust chest, modified the rod slots and finger ports. Also did a few sleeves (which is why it was there in the first place).
Pics are at http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/new-motor
I also have a set of 1-piece 2.4 Hemi heads for sale. Originally cut to 35cc by JSRE (so they look pretty), then cut by Ruck to 33cc, but have never been run since. I want $250 for those.
[ January 24, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: STV_Keith ]

TIMEBOMB
01-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Keith
The link for speedcraving would not come up. I might be interested in the heads. Are they the 1 piece foam cast type? My heads right now are milled to about 33 cc. If you can give me the number of who did all your machine work. This is 1 of my extra powerheads so I am in no hurry to get it done. Thanks, :) Gary
[ January 28, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: TIMEBOMB ]

STV_Keith
01-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Server was down due to the SQL worm thing. Back up now. Yes, they are 1 piece, hemi heads, cut to 33cc. Here's the pics though:
http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/new-motor/24-heads.jpg

HavasuDreamin'
01-28-2003, 06:17 AM
Those are sharp looking heads. What kind of compression did you get out of 33cc heads? I run 26cc with a stock gasket and get around 150 psi.
Timebomb.........if you don't buy Keith's heads, I would highly recommend checking out the JSRE website. You can find a link over at scream & fly.
www.screamandfly.com (http://www.screamandfly.com)
I did some lurking (mostly) on the scream & fly board and the guys from JSRE (Jay Smith Racing Engines) really seem to know what they are doing. I was highly impressed. They are out of Texas, but ship all over. Good Luck
[ January 28, 2003, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

STV_Keith
01-28-2003, 09:24 AM
The 33cc heads should yield about 140# of compression. They were originally cut by JSRE to 35cc, which is why the backs are cut flush. They were later recut to 33cc by Jim Ruck, and have never been back on a motor.

TIMEBOMB
01-28-2003, 12:25 PM
I have looked at Jsre before, but I have had bad luck with shipping out of state. Not with them just a place out of Florida. Thanks again, Gary.

TIMEBOMB
03-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Keith
Hey I am probably going to need those heads. I roasted my motor in Parker this weekend and the lh head is all banged up. The throttle came loose at the block and I lost timing control and the motor detonated, got hot, and the locating pin in the rings came loose and the ring came apart. Damaged the head and torn a groove in the cylinder wall. burningm Luckily I have another block ready to go and will just need the heads. Send me an email with all the details and I get you some money. I have a good friend that lives in Vegas and should be able get the heads and money to you. Thanks Gary.

STV_Keith
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Man, sorry to hear that Gary. Actually, those heads are gone now, but call Kevin over at R&R Prop Shop. I know he has several sets around his shop. 702-564-7502.

TIMEBOMB
03-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Eric
Sent you an email, Gary.

sam pioske
03-15-2003, 07:25 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Dick Sherrer Marine out of Downey, CA. Does good work. You would want Ed Lane to work on the motor.
I would also trust Lakeland out of LHC.....which is closer to you. Good Luck!

sam pioske
03-15-2003, 07:34 PM
sam pioske:
HavasuDreamin':
I would also trust Lakeland out of LHC.....which is closer to you. Good Luck! I agree highly Lakeland marine could do a fabulous job. The west coast Mercury engineer/rep.tore down completely and re-assembled twice an engine for me.Still ran poorly ! Five minutes at Lakeland , it ran perfect...and did until I sold it. My .02 cents .. :cool:

You Te
03-16-2003, 12:10 AM
Hey HavasuDreamin,
Just to let you know ED Lane passed away about 1-1/2 years ago. :( :( frown

DUCKY
03-22-2003, 02:37 PM
John Marles' shop is in So Cal. He is a Mod-U racer, a very talented engine builder, and great guy to deal with. He goes by "US1" on www.screamandfly.com (http://www.screamandfly.com)

Boat Racer
03-31-2003, 05:06 PM
I'd recommend a gent. but he's in Ky.. As for the heads, I like, LAND-N-SEA, my-self... I have a set of 26cc dual-plug heads on a 2.4 BP, and a set of single plug on a 2.5..... Have had no problems, and have many hours on them!!!
My 2 cents worth!

ed bullock
04-03-2003, 07:06 PM
wow i had my throttle come loose at high speed is there something i should ckeck for damage? why would this damage a motor?

TIMEBOMB
04-03-2003, 10:36 PM
What came loose was the center pivot bolt. Which controls both the throttle butterflies and the timing. The throttle still worked but the timing was able to flop around where ever it wanted to. W.o.t but no timing advance, the engine started detonating, cause the piston to act as a heat sync and expand. The piston ring locating pin is steel and the piston is aluminum. The piston swells and the locating pin falls out. Both damaging the cylinder bore and allowing the rings to rotate around and start breaking off as the gap rotates in front of the ports. Then the rings come apart and cause more damage, starts making a lot of racket and loss of power. A good compression check will usally detect if any damage to the cylinder is done. In my case it is usally the popping and snorting of the piston banging the left over ring parts into the head. That's all I am going to say about that. Gary.

Boat Racer
04-04-2003, 04:06 AM
ANYONE GOT A MANUAL, TELLING WHERE TO SET THE TIMING ON A (93)2.5?

ed bullock
04-04-2003, 05:34 AM
my throttle adjust came loode and popped out of its resting place . the motor shut down like you hit a kill switch. put back into place and seems to work ok. no bad noises no loss of power.

HavasuDreamin'
04-04-2003, 01:48 PM
You Te:
Hey HavasuDreamin,
Just to let you know ED Lane passed away about 1-1/2 years ago. :( :( :( Holy smokes. Sorry to hear about that. :( I never dealt with Ed per say, we always dealt with Bill Peters and Jimmie, however I know that Ed was the one who rebuilt a lot of the hi-po motors out of DS Marine.
frown

TIMEBOMB
04-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Boatracer: I have a manual. I'll look it up tomorow. I'll send you an email with the specs.
Ed: Should be ok, there is a spring on the pivot bolt that will return the throttle to idle. Should have kept running but the fast closing of the butterflies might have just shut the motor down. Later, Gary.

Boat Racer
04-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Thanks TIMEBOMB!!!!!!
[ April 05, 2003, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Boat Racer ]

TIMEBOMB
04-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Slept all day and I'll send it Sunday

TIMEBOMB
04-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Boatracer check your pm. Gary.

TIMEBOMB
04-10-2003, 05:20 AM
Scott, sent ya a pm about a year ago, no response. I guessed you were pretty busy. Should have the motor together some time next week. Waiting on gaskets from Merc and heads from Simonmotor sports in San Diego. Still have 1 good block to build. Nothing fancy just a stock 2.4 efi with a little shaved off the heads. Email me or get my number from Pascavis and We'll get together for a lake trip. Later Gary. :cool:

simon
04-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Gary, Your heads and piston are on their way. Thanks for the business, Eric Simon www.simonmotorsports.com (http://www.simonmotorsports.com)

TIMEBOMB
04-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Heads and piston just arrived via ups. Looks good should be together some time next week. Thanks Eric!! smile_sp Later, Gary