PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Outboards

HavasuDreamin'
12-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Well a good friend of mine just got on the internet at www.***boatcharlies.com (http://www.***boatcharlies.com) If anyone is interested in a fully restored vintage outboard, give Charlie a call. He restores vintage outboards of all kinds. If he doesn't have what you are looking for, chances are he will get it within a few months.
The last time I was at his shop, he had about 15 fully restored motors ranging from the 30's to the 40's/50's that were truly beautiful. He does a great job restoring them. Scott Atwater, Merc, Johnson, Evinrude, etc. including motors I have never heard of. He has them all!
The day I was up there, he had taken in a 4hp Johnson from 1933, put it in his tank, and fired it up. The sucker ran like a champ (although all the motors he sells don't necessarily run).
If your not interested in an old whacker, then tell a friend. :o
Way to go Chuck.....it only took you how many years to get on the net? idea2
PS.........the lucky focker is on vacation during the entire month of January, so if you don't hear from him till Feb., don't sweat it!
[ December 17, 2002, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

HavasuDreamin'
12-18-2002, 10:15 AM
Nice Outboard.........one of many........
http://www.***boatcharlies.com/Merc%207.5%20hp%20KE-4%20Rocket%201948.jpg
[ December 18, 2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

HavasuDreamin'
12-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Man is it dead in here :( No real posts other than myself wink in at least a day or two. :confused:

=PAYED CA$H=
12-18-2002, 01:04 PM
THAT MOTOR BELONGS ON A WATER TAXI AND NOTHING ELSE. COMMON IF YOUR GOING TO TRY AND HELP SOMEONE OUT WITH SELLING SOMETHING AT LEAST MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A DORK.... :D :o :D :o

HavasuDreamin'
12-18-2002, 01:44 PM
=PAYED CA$H=:
THAT MOTOR BELONGS ON A WATER TAXI AND NOTHING ELSE. COMMON IF YOUR GOING TO TRY AND HELP SOMEONE OUT WITH SELLING SOMETHING AT LEAST MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A DORK.... :D :o :D :o Well to tell you the truth, I really am not trying to help him sell any motors. He has plenty of buyers in his area as it is, and as far as making me look like a dork........I guess I don't understand your comment, but whatever. :confused:
I just thought I would let people who might be interested in old O/B know that there is a guy who restores them. Nothing more, nothing less.

old rigger
12-18-2002, 02:27 PM
HD,
I checked out your buddys site. Cool stuff. I guess I'm a dork. I have a '46 sea king that my grand pa bought brand new and I still use it now and then to go fishing or just for something to do. I wish it was a merc or and old evinrude, but it's not. But the fact that it was his makes it cool to me. I love most old shit and these old kickers are just one more thing I like.
Thanks for posting it.

HavasuDreamin'
12-19-2002, 06:26 AM
old rigger:
HD,
I checked out your buddys site. Cool stuff. I guess I'm a dork. I have a '46 sea king that my grand pa bought brand new and I still use it now and then to go fishing or just for something to do. I wish it was a merc or and old evinrude, but it's not. But the fact that it was his makes it cool to me. I love most old shit and these old kickers are just one more thing I like.
Thanks for posting it.Hey, all the old outboards are cool regardless of what brand. Just something about having a little piece of boating history that is cool to me. I have a 40's Merc Super 5 sitting in my garage. I bought it off of Charley unrestored as I wanted to restore it myself. Needless to say, it still needs to be restored.........maybe next winter. Thanks for the good word on the site. smilespi

snappertapper
12-19-2002, 08:12 AM
So what if he is trying to sell for him you wouldnt help a friend out?

Back To Havasu
12-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Charlie is a good guy, with a great product, and you are a good friend for telling us about it. Count me among the dorks, I guess. I would love to have a Mercury Mark 58 or an old Flying Scott 60. New technology is wonderful, but tracing the roots and history of the marine performance industry development is facinating, at least for us dorks... :D :D :D

HavasuDreamin'
12-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Back To Havasu:
Charlie is a good guy, with a great product, and you are a good friend for telling us about it. Count me among the dorks, I guess. I would love to have a Mercury Mark 58 or an old Flying Scott 60. New technology is wonderful, but tracing the roots and history of the marine performance industry development is facinating, at least for us dorks... :D :D :D If I come across a Mark 58, You can bet I will pick it up for ya! :D What year(s) were they and what HP rating. I need to make sure I have the right motor. idea2
[ December 19, 2002, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Back To Havasu
12-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Mercury Mark 58s came out in 1958, and they were rated at 45hp. In 1959, the same engine had a more square cowling and was called a Mark 58A. In 1960, the name changed again to Merc 400. In 1962, they became the Merc 450. They are a four cylinder inline 44 cubic inch nasty boy. Their lower units have built in shock absorbers on each side of the clamp bracket, distinguishing them from the lesser powered Mark 30, 35, 40, 50, and 55. They weigh about 129 llbs., and most have bronze propellers. Although they were not the biggest engine Mercury made at the time, they were a real thrill on a 12'long 212 pound flatbottom boat in their day. :D :D :D

old rigger
12-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Back to H,
I've got a friend that has 2 Flying Scott 75hp sitting in the corner of his garage. I think they're 75 hp, maybe 70s. I haven't seen them in a few years but I remember thinking that was a hell of a lot of HP for a 3 cylinder back than.
Also have a buddy with a Riley radial 5 cylinder 75 horse, a 1956 I think. Plus he has a NOS power head for the thing. It used all Harley Davidson rod, pistons and who know what else. The thing's huge.
Do you happen to know the weight of a '61 or '62, 75 hp Evinrude. I think it was called a Starfire, or Starflight, 89 ci. or so.
Thanks.
[ December 19, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

Back To Havasu
12-19-2002, 03:10 PM
Rigger...I'd like to see the two Scott 75s you mentioned. When McCullough bought out Scott-Atwater, soon they tweaked the Flying Scott 60 three cylinder inlines into a Flying Scott 75. Even put a few out with speedmaster-type gearcases. The V-4 Evinrudes of that day were quite advanced in the gearcase shape and the second in the series of 90 degree V-4s from OMC. They were heavier than the four cylinder Mercurys, probably similar to the 6 inline Mercs of the day at approximately 185 llbs.
Not certain on exact weight for the 'rudes, as I was racing Mercs back then.

BILLY.B
12-21-2002, 08:29 AM
HavasuDreamin':
Well a good friend of mine just got on the internet at www.***boatcharlies.com (http://www.***boatcharlies.com) If anyone is interested in a fully restored vintage outboard, give Charlie a call. He restores vintage outboards of all kinds. If he doesn't have what you are looking for, chances are he will get it within a few months.
The last time I was at his shop, he had about 15 fully restored motors ranging from the 30's to the 40's/50's that were truly beautiful. He does a great job restoring them. Scott Atwater, Merc, Johnson, Evinrude, etc. including motors I have never heard of. He has them all!
The day I was up there, he had taken in a 4hp Johnson from 1933, put it in his tank, and fired it up. The sucker ran like a champ (although all the motors he sells don't necessarily run).
If your not interested in an old whacker, then tell a friend. :o
Way to go Chuck.....it only took you how many years to get on the net? graemlins/idea_2.gif
PS.........the lucky focker is on vacation during the entire month of January, so if you don't hear from him till Feb., don't sweat it! Havasu Dreaming, I was going on the outboard forum today solely to locate a vintage outboard site, and boom there it is!.I have a 1960 super cat hull (race hull used in 60's)with twin 60 horse power mercs on it, doing a complete resto on it,.As for the guy who gave crap about posting this info, NO CLASS!. Thanks for the the info, I'LL check it out.

superdave013
12-21-2002, 09:33 AM
HavasuDreamin':
Nice Outboard.........one of many........
http://www.***boatcharlies.com/Merc%207.5%20hp%20KE-4%20Rocket%201948.jpg I used to race little class A hydros and stock utillitys and we ran the old 10hp mercs. I think that one is a little smaller right? Anyway my dad still has them. Been a long time that they have been out of the shed. He also has an old class C hydro that was a bitchin boat to run around in. That thing would blow off the manta rays and sidewinder jet boats that would run around the N. Indiana lakes.

Jrocket
12-21-2002, 08:12 PM
Billy Baroo is that you??? :D

HavasuDreamin'
12-23-2002, 06:28 AM
superdave013
I used to race little class A hydros and stock utillitys and we ran the old 10hp mercs. I think that one is a little smaller right? Anyway my dad still has them. Been a long time that they have been out of the shed. He also has an old class C hydro that was a bitchin boat to run around in. That thing would blow off the manta rays and sidewinder jet boats that would run around the N. Indiana lakes.Yeah, that is where Charley gets most of his O/B's from. Guys that walk into his shop with a truck full of old O/B from the barn. If your dad ever wanted to clear his barn (not that he would), tell him to contact Charley.
Thanks for the props Billy B. smile_sp

DansBlown73Nordic
12-27-2002, 02:39 PM
I have a completly restored 1960 Cruisers INC 17 ft Lapstrake with a 1959 Mercury Mark 78 Direct reverse. How many of you guys remember those?

Sangster
12-27-2002, 06:34 PM
Back in the 60s, my Dad had a Merc 78A I think it was...It was the racing version I was told..Sure ran good for back then..... :cool: They were painted White also.....
[ December 27, 2002, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

DansBlown73Nordic
12-28-2002, 03:49 AM
The 1958 mark 78 were mauroon. Then in 59 white. I have two spare engines for parts. Never can have enough spare parts. wink

Sangster
12-28-2002, 06:39 AM
Thats right...I remember seeing a Mauroon or Purple lookin' one .... idea

Back To Havasu
12-29-2002, 08:35 PM
I have a 1959 Mercury Outboard Catalog which shows white as the standard color and other colors as options. In 1959, the look of the engines was changed to a more squared one, with more chrome, but internally there is no difference between a 1958 Mark 78 and a 1959 Mark 78A. They were both inline 6s displacing 66 cubic inches, with what they called "direct reversing" (translation - no running neutral). wink

DansBlown73Nordic
12-30-2002, 01:39 AM
The know neutral thing is kinda funny. The day I bought this motor a local marina had it for sale. So I went to check it out. The guy takes me out to see it on a stand. He says it runs great. Im thinking $300 is a hell of a deal. At the last minute he says you know it has know neutral? I was like HUH? :confused: So he explained. I bought it anyway. I have run the motor alot. I have never done a thing to it in 17 years.
I will try to post a picture of it. Me and my scanner don't get along to good.... wink

Back To Havasu
12-30-2002, 10:27 AM
Love to see that picture. :D