PDA

View Full Version : 200 Merc speed mods

HOT COUGAR
01-14-2002, 09:19 PM
I have a 1985 19' Cougar tunnel with the 200 Black Max. It is factory stock, except for a 24 pitch 3 blade. Factory broucher said it came with a 26 pitch. The OB is mounted on a 4" rigid, angled setback bracket. What engine mods would unleash more power? Would a jack plate do anything for this setup? I was told this engine has a great power to weight ratio, is this corect? Any info would be great. Thanks for the help.

Scaryfast
01-15-2002, 11:51 AM
That motor is a good motor. It's not as strong and torquey as the 2.5 liter motors, but it's a good motor none-the-less. There are a lot of simple things that can be done to the motor to give you some additional speed. Setup is key. A jack plate will most likely help you as will some prop testing. A boat like that will probably run well with a prop with moderate lift like a Lightning ET, a Cut Chopper, or a Yamaha Semi-Cleaver.
Tightening up the heads, opening the exhaust chest and raising the ports slightly will give you a reliable horsepower. We have had very good success with those mods and a tuner change in getting the motor to 240 hp without any loss of reliability.
Sam Baker
Baker Marine Support http://www.scaryfast.com

HOT COUGAR
01-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Are these simple modifications, or do they require a machine shop? When you talk about tightening the heads are you refering to changing the compresion ratio, or milling? I'm not familiar with that term. The engine is slated to be rebuilt in the next couple of months. I lost compresion in #1 and #5 last time out. You also mentioned changing the tuner, is this an eletronic item? Another 40 hp would be nice, but reilabilty is a must. Thank you for the info.

COUGARMAN
01-18-2002, 07:02 PM
HEY THERE FELLOW COUGAR OWNER. YOU HAVE BEEN GIVN GOOD ADVICE ON YOUR MOTOR.I PUT A SVS SYSTEM FROM BRUCATO ON MY PRO MAX AND IT MAID IT FLY. THE DOWN FALL IS THEY COST 1,800 BUCKS. WELL WORTH THE MONEY. OTHERS WHO NOW ABOUT THE SVS SYSTEM WILL SURELY TELL YOU YHE SAME. GOOD LUCK WHATEVER YOU TRY. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE THE RELIABILTY OF YOUR MOTOR.
COUGARMAN

HOT COUGAR
01-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Greatings Cougarman, thank you for the info.Which Cougar do you own? I am intrested in this Brucato kit you mentioned. Do you have a web address for them? I went to Scary fast's web site and they have a lot to offer, both products and tech info. I am going to try and give them a call next week. Looking for as many options as possible before I deside which route to take in my rebuild. What is the svs system? Again thanks for the info.

check88
01-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by HOT COUGAR:
Greatings Cougarman, thank you for the info.Which Cougar do you own? I am intrested in this Brucato kit you mentioned. Do you have a web address for them? I went to Scary fast's web site and they have a lot to offer, both products and tech info. I am going to try and give them a call next week. Looking for as many options as possible before I deside which route to take in my rebuild. What is the svs system? Again thanks for the info.
if you have a stock black max with carbs the svs kit won't work on your motor.it is for the fuel injected motors only.best mods for a 2.4 are shave the heads to get 140# of compression,lose the air box and get some velocity stacks,have someone like jay smith open your 5 pedal reed blocks up and use boyesen reeds,open up the exaust chest,and maybe pick up a one piece exaust plate.these have much larger ports and they eliminate the rubber upper motor mounts giving you much less steering slop.if you do all of the above you will have to re-jet the carbs,probably have to go up about 4-5 sizes.if after all of this you still want more send the block out for some porting but bear in mind you have a chrome bore motor and if you do any porting the block will have to be re-chromed which runs about $800.
[This message has been edited by check88 (edited January 19, 2002).]

COUGARMAN
01-19-2002, 03:09 PM
Check 88 is right about having to have a fuel injected motor. The address for brucato is www.brucatosvs.com (http://www.brucatosvs.com) Good luck. I will email you a picture of my 1997 21 foot MTR.I do have a fuel injected motor and I picked up about 6 mpr with the svs. My motor is stock besides the svs.
COUGARMAN