PDA

View Full Version : 98 DCB MACH 22. NEED ADVISE.

ZSARGO
04-25-2002, 11:22 AM
ANYBODY OUT IN HOT BOAT LAND HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH A DCB MACH 22. SINGLE 2.5 MERC (260HP) I'VE TRIED A VARIETY OF PROPS. 24 CHOPPER, 26 CHOPPER. CLEAVERS. ETC ETC. GETTING ABOUT 72-74 MPH MAX. I WAN'T A LITTLE MORE TOP END. I RECENTLY INSTALLED A G-FORCE TUNER AND INTAKE SPACER. DIDN'T HELP MUCH. I HEARD THE 24 E.T. WORKS WELL ON THIS BOAT. ALSO THE MOTOR IS SET UP WITH ABOUT 95% OF THE LOWER UNIT IN THE WATER AT ABOUT 60 MPH. SHOULD I TAKE IT UP A BIT MORE? MOST PEOPLE TELL ME THAT ABOUT HALF THE PROP SHOULD BE IN THE WATER ONCE I AM UP ON PLANE. APPRECIATE ANY HELP. TIRED OF PLAYING WITH PROPS!!!!!!!

HavasuDreamin'
04-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Your prop should be positioned as high as possible while maintaining 10-12 lbs. of water pressure. Any less and it is only a matter of time before you fry the motor.
I think you have an uphill battle in making any significant (5mph or more) increases in speed with your boat for the simple reason that you have too much boat and not enough motor (torque). I am not familiar enough with the hull to make any prop suggestions. Good Luck!

Skaterfast
04-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Your prop should be 50% in the water when you are running at optimum speed.If you are cruising at 40mph your prop should be completely submerged.Sounds like you need to raise the motor.Need more info,how much fuel in boat,jack plate,rpm,air temp,anchor in the bow,tired motor???

ZSARGO
04-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Skaterfast:
Your prop should be 50% in the water when you are running at optimum speed.If you are cruising at 40mph your prop should be completely submerged.Sounds like you need to raise the motor.Need more info,how much fuel in boat,jack plate,rpm,air temp,anchor in the bow,tired motor???
THE BOAT DOES NOT HAVE A JACK PLATE. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY RAISE THE MOTOR UP AND DOWN. THE MOTOR WAS JUST SERVICED AT LAKELAND MARINE AND ALL THE PISTONS HAD COMPRESSION OF 140-145. I JUST MAY HAVE TO MUCH BOAT AND NOT ENOUGH MOTOR. I'M GOING TO RAISE THE MOTOR UP A BIT AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS.

cavey lavey
04-26-2002, 01:35 PM
A JACK PLATE IS A MUST IT WILL GIVE YOU 4 OR 5 INCHES MORE SET BACK FOR BOW LIFT AND THEN YOU CAN JACK IT UP AS FAR AS YOU WHANT IT UNTIL YOU START LOSING WATER PRESSURE. THIS WILL ALOW YOU NOT TO HAVE TO USE SO MUCH TRIM TO RAISE THE BOW, YOUR BOAT ATTITUDE SHOULD RUN A LITTLE FLATTER AND HANDLE BETTER, GOOD LUCK.

ZSARGO
04-28-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by cavey lavey:
A JACK PLATE IS A MUST IT WILL GIVE YOU 4 OR 5 INCHES MORE SET BACK FOR BOW LIFT AND THEN YOU CAN JACK IT UP AS FAR AS YOU WHANT IT UNTIL YOU START LOSING WATER PRESSURE. THIS WILL ALOW YOU NOT TO HAVE TO USE SO MUCH TRIM TO RAISE THE BOW, YOUR BOAT ATTITUDE SHOULD RUN A LITTLE FLATTER AND HANDLE BETTER, GOOD LUCK.
I THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING A JACK PLATE ON THE BOAT, BUT NONE OF DAVES BOATS COME WITH ONE. I WILL LOOK INTO IT. THANKS.
[This message has been edited by ZSARGO (edited April 28, 2002).]

HavasuDreamin'
04-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Apparently you are selling the rig now. I see it advertised in the classifieds right here, second one down. Good Luck

ZSARGO
04-30-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
Apparently you are selling the rig now. I see it advertised in the classifieds right here, second one down. Good Luck
WANT TO STEP UP TO A 26 WITH TWINS. I LOVE THE 22. SO IF IT DOESN'T SELL NO BIG DEAL. BUT WHILE I HAVE IT. THE FASTER THE BETTER!

Havasu Secret
05-02-2002, 07:04 AM
Zsargo,
You may want to contact Dave at DCB racing dave@dcbracing.com and ask him. Since the DCB utilizes it's own custom made engine bracket, Dave would be able to tell you which hole is best to mount the engines and what prop would work best for you.
He is also the best person to talk about dialing in your rig. Dave is very helpful and a wealth of knowledge regarding his hulls and setups.
HS
See You in Havasu!!!
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/HavasuSecret3.jpg
[This message has been edited by Havasu Secret (edited May 02, 2002).]

colby
05-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Run a straight edge from the bottom of the center pod with your engine trimmed up to approx. +2. The straight edge should run into the front pointed part of the lower end. I had a Mach 22 with a 300 running a bravo 28 with 1" holes drilled in it for exhaust to break up the water when taking off. The boat ran 88 top end.

ZSARGO
05-03-2002, 10:13 AM
THANKS COLBY. THAT REALLY HELPS. I DON'T THINK MY MOTOR WILL TURN A 28 PITCH PROP. I WILL TRY A 26 OR 24. I BELIEVE THE 300 HAD MORE TORQUE AND COULD TURN A BIGGER PROP. YOUR OLD BOAT RAN 84 IN HOT BOAT. WHERE SHOULD I DRILL THE HOLES IN THE PROP.
[This message has been edited by ZSARGO (edited May 03, 2002).]

Screaming Pete
05-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Zsargo, Dave uses a place in Spring valley. Thier address i belive is 9007 olive drive spring valley ca 91977 if you need thier phone # call darla at daves or Neil at Proformance marine they are right next to the prop shop 619 698 9605. I also have a mach 22 with a 300 promax running a 28 brovo lab w 5/8 holes
Screaming Pete

HavasuBarney
05-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Not much chance of turning a 28 bravo with a 260 or regular 300 on a 22ft DCB, it's just too much boat and prop.
ZSARGO, what rpms are you turning?
I think your getting about all you get with a 260 on a 22ft DCB, you need more motor or less boat for better speed.
The guys at Lakeland know your boat very well, they see most DCB's. If your motor was too deep, Lou would have been right on that, he know fast OB's very well.
Without a jackplate or transom mounted water pickups, your asking for problems by raising your motor if your unfamiliar with the setup, too high you'll fry your motor in a minute.
DCB's are very heavy, 2.5's just don't like to carry weight.

HavasuDreamin'
05-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by HavasuBarney:
I think your getting about all you get with a 260 on a 22ft DCB, you need more motor or less boat for better speed.
Without a jackplate or transom mounted water pickups, your asking for problems by raising your motor if your unfamiliar with the setup, too high you'll fry your motor in a minute.
Exactly! Best way to get that boat to run is add another 2.5 EFI! Good Luck

ZSARGO
05-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by HavasuBarney:
Not much chance of turning a 28 bravo with a 260 or regular 300 on a 22ft DCB, it's just too much boat and prop.
ZSARGO, what rpms are you turning?
The guys at Lakeland know your boat very well, they see most DCB's. If your motor was too deep, Lou would have been right on that, he know fast OB's very well.
IT RAN 78 THIS WEEKEND AT ABOUT 7200 RPM. I HAVE READ SOME ARTICLES IN REGARDS TO SET UP. IT BASICALLY STATES THAT WHEN THE MOTOR IS MOUNTED CORRECTLY I SHOULD HAVE NO ROOSTER TAIL, BUT MY BOAT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A JET-O-VATOR. I RAN A STRAIGHT EDGE FROM THE MIDDLE OUT THE BOAT AND IT RAN TO THE MIDDLE OF THE NOSE CONE. WHAT GIVES??

ZSARGO
05-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Secret:
Zsargo,
You may want to contact Dave at DCB racing dave@dcbracing.com and ask him. Since the DCB utilizes it's own custom made engine bracket, Dave would be able to tell you which hole is best to mount the engines and what prop would work best for you.
He is also the best person to talk about dialing in your rig. Dave is very helpful and a wealth of knowledge regarding his hulls and setups.
HS
See You in Havasu!!!
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/HavasuSecret3.jpg
[This message has been edited by Havasu Secret (edited May 02, 2002).]
PASSED EACH OTHER ON SATURDAY NEAR WINSOR. HOW DID YOU LIKE THAT CHOP CHOP. OUCH.

ZSARGO
06-11-2002, 11:56 AM
I LIFTED MY MOTOR ANOTHER 1 1/2 INCHES THIS WEEKEND. GAINED ABOUT 2-3 MILES PER HOUR AND ANOTHER 300 RPM. I STILL HAVE 15 PSI WATER PRESSURE AT W.O.T. THE ONLY NEGATIVE IS THAT THE BOAT STARTED TO PORPOISE IN SMOOTH WATER. I THINK IF I CHANGE MY PROP TO ONE WITHOUT MUCH BOW LIFT IT MAY SOLVE THE PROBLEM.?????????????????????

WaltersCamp
06-12-2002, 07:25 AM
I have a '98 Mach22 with a single Merc 225 Promax (rated at 240 hp). The fastest I have ever gone is about 68mph with a 26deg prop with 1" holes, and a total of 2 people. I hit around 6k rpm, so I know it's too much prop. Heck, I was out on the river with 7 people (we were a little cramped), and my top speed was only about 60mph.
From what I've heard, the 300-X is the only way to go if you want to break the 80mph barrier. It sounds to me that you have just about hit your limit. Also, at around 60mph on smooth water I get a little porpoising, too. Although it smoothes out around 63-64mph. Sometimes trimming down just a tad will help.
---------------------------
[This message has been edited by WaltersCamp (edited June 12, 2002).]

ZSARGO
06-18-2002, 12:41 PM
FROM THE RESEARCH THAT I HAVE DONE. THE BOAT WILL RUN 84 WITH THE 300 PROMAX AND 92 WILL THE 300X. JUST TO HEAVY OF A HULL. I JUST PURCHASED A 24 LIGHTNING E.T. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT DOES.

Screaming Pete
06-18-2002, 01:30 PM
ZSARGO, My mach 22 w 300 promax 28 brovo 1 ran 87mph radar per ***boat and wish it had a 300X. I tried a prop from mercury R&D but it cracked but it was just to test and send back anyway. Its was a 4 blade clever it held the rpm's better and was better in the corners were the brovo 1 bits to hard I'm still looking for the prop of my dreams
S/P

Havasu Secret
06-19-2002, 07:18 AM
ZSARGO & Screaming Pete,
I have a 21 Daytona with a Merc 300 ProMax, a Mercury Paralift jackplate with about 10 inches of setback and a SportMaster lower unit with 1:62.1 gears. When I first bought the boat it had a 30 pitch Mercury Lab ET Lightning copy by Chad Hill aka "Chad Hill Special". This prop was very slow out of the hole but once it grabbed the accelleration was incredible. It topped out at about 92MPH at 5900RPMs. After speaking with Lew at Lakeland Marine in Havasu, I explained to him that I wanted a prop that would still maintain most of the top end, but would be faster out of the hole for waterskiing and wake boarding. Lew suggested switching to a Mercury 26 pitch chopper II. He said that he had tried just about everything out there and this was the hot setup for smaller cats with a Merc 300 ProMax outboard.
Lew was right! The over the hub, mat finish (Not polished) chopper II does slip a bit at startup, but grabs faster than the old lab ET copy. On a beautiful clear winter day this last January, I was in a very very wide arc turn at the end of the island in Havasu (near Site Six) I trimmed up the motor and moved up the jackplate as high as I could go, before the water pressure dropped below 12psi, and I reached 93MPH at 6000RPMs. Al Stoker told me to put the boat in a very slow wide arc turn to stop the porpois in smooth water and it worked beautifully.
As far as your rooster tail goes, mine is huge if I have too much positive trim. I believe this is due to the "Big Ear" chopper II blades. From what I can figure out is the water remains on the larger blade surfaces longer as I raise the prop half out of the water with the jackplate. I am going to install a transom mounted water pickup to assist the SportMaster lower unit water pickup and to avoid any future water pressure dropoff as I am bringing up the motor with the hydralic jackplate.
I hope this helps you.
HS
See You in Havasu
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/havasusecret3.jpg
[This message has been edited by Havasu Secret (edited June 19, 2002).]

HavasuDreamin'
06-19-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Secret:
I trimmed up the motor and moved up the jackplate as high as I could go, before the water pressure dropped below 12psi, and I reached 93MPH at 6000RPMs.
As far as your rooster tail goes, mine is huge if I have too much positive trim. I believe this is due to the "Big Ear" chopper II blades. From what I can figure out is the water remains on the larger blade surfaces longer as I raise the prop half out of the water with the jackplate. I am going to install a transom mounted water pickup to assist the SportMaster lower unit water pickup and to avoid any future water pressure dropoff as I am bringing up the motor with the hydralic jackplate.
Hey HS, that is a nice boat you have. I have a 19' Daytona with a 2.4 Bridgeport motor. I agree with you on the rooster as I also run a chopper (Mazco RE-3 26"). Too much positive trim and the roost almost looks like a jetboat. At speed, the rooster tail is no higher than my motor.
Question for you though! Your numbers are not adding up when I put them through the calculator (26" prop only). Using the the 30" propeller, the numbers do add up to about 93.118 mph using a 10% slip factor. But using the 26" prop, I get a max theoretical speed of 91.189 mph using no slip at all. I don't doubt that your boat runs low 90's but curious as to your prop or your tach. Is it actually a 28" prop or is your tach off?
On a more common sense approach, I would think that you could push a prop with 4" less pitch more than the additional 100 RPM your tach reads. I have heard a general rule of thumb of 300 rpm per prop pitch. That would mean if you see 5,900 RPM out of a 30" prop you should theoretically see 7,100 RPM out of the 26" prop (300 RPM * 4" = additional 1,200 RPM).
Just curious as to your set-up, etc.
By the way the formula I use is as follows:
1. (RPM/1.62)* Prop Pitch
2. Divide by 5,280 then again by 12
3. Multiply by 60 and then factor in 10% slip.

Screaming Pete
06-19-2002, 07:51 AM
H/S Thanks for the info it sounds like your getting it dialed in just the way you want it. I'm wondering about the weight difference what direction to go I hit the rev. limeter at 6200 rpm all the time I just don't hold it their long and i'v tried a 30 lap bv/1 with 3/4 holes and get the same top end just lower rpm and dog out of the hole. Also by know you must have the most reconisable 21 Daytona on the planet but the fave pic of mine is the one with the bra and vodka. I'm making plans to try and do you 1 better..mmm Bombay Blue Saphire and ....
Screaming Pete

Havasu Secret
06-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Hey HD,
I'll have to get my Gaffrig tach checked. You are right about the calculations, I even checked them on Mercury's website. I have yet to hit the rev limiter, which I understand to be 6200rpm on the 300 ProMax. The times that I have been in that speed range, I had myself (178lbs), Mrs. Secret (130lbs? she never tells me her actual weight) and about 12 gallons of fuel on board.
HS
This ones for you Screaming Pete
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/martini.jpg
Mrs. Secret in the bra. This is my kind of Blue!!!
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/mate1024.jpg

ZSARGO
06-19-2002, 06:47 PM
HAVASU SECRET,
THE LADY IN HER UNDERWEAR AT THE LAKE IS HOT.WHY IS SHE ON SOMEONE ELSES BOAT? I THINK SHE MAY HAVE HER OWN LITTLE SECRET. NICE!!!!!!!!

Screaming Pete
06-20-2002, 09:13 AM
H/S Thats what I like, When you throw someone a challage they come back even harder upping the antie. I think the secret is Victotia's
S/P

Havasu Secret
06-20-2002, 10:30 AM
ZSARGO,
If she does have a Secret... I would be suprised. I took the photo and many more that day. As she peeled off the lingerie... she was stopping boat traffic. It was pretty fun.
SP
I think you know Victoria's Secret now!!! This is not really a contest... Just having some fun. I have over 500 photos of her so the "Hot Boats, Hot Babes & Lingerie" photo series that I started will continue.
HS
See You in Havasu

ZSARGO
06-20-2002, 06:44 PM
I DON'T BLAME YOU. TRY TO REFRAIN FROM TAKING PICTURES WHEN I'M OUT THERE. I MAY RUN INTO AN ISLAND OR SOMETHING. TWO MUCH DISTRACTION http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif WHEN YOU GOING OUT AGAIN? EVER GO TO PARKER?

ZSARGO
07-15-2002, 06:04 PM
TRIED A 24 E.T. THIS WEEKEND. LITTLE DISAPPOINTED. I'VE TRIED NUMEROUS PROPS AND IT SEEMS TO RUN BEST WITH AN OLD STYLE 24 QUICKSILVER CHOPPER (IRONICALLY IT'S THE CHEAPEST PROP I HAVE PURCHASE.) ANYONE IN HOT BOAT LAND HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE MAZCO RE. I HEAR THEY ARE GREAT PROPS.

HavasuDreamin'
07-16-2002, 06:07 AM
I run a Mazco RE-3 14.5 x 26. Great all around prop for my rig. They are very similar to the Mercury Chopper props, however the Mazco comes ready to run. By that I mean, it is already blueprinted, polished, and has thinned blades (compared to the Merc Chopper). Also, the edges are nicely cupped and the prop hooks well.
I don't have any experience with the Merc Chopper II props though. Good Luck

TOBTEK
07-16-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
I run a Mazco RE-3 14.5 x 26. Great all around prop for my rig. They are very similar to the Mercury Chopper props, however the Mazco comes ready to run. By that I mean, it is already blueprinted, polished, and has thinned blades (compared to the Merc Chopper). Also, the edges are nicely cupped and the prop hooks well.
I don't have any experience with the Merc Chopper II props though. Good Luck
When you guys are speaking of these new prop'
s you keep trying, Are you buying them at roughly $600.00 a pop or do you have a connection to demo them? I was looking for a demo service, but haven't found one...toby

STV_Keith
07-16-2002, 08:08 AM
Mazco builds a nice prop. I run a 14.5 x 29 RE-3 STV cut (neutral lift) on my STV.
Tobtek, yep, paid $600 for the prop, plus another $50 to have it cryoed before the hub went in. Try finding a prop repair shop. Here in Vegas, R&R Prop Shop (http://www.randrpropshop.com) will lend out props with just a deposit. I tried two different 26's a few weeks ago, which showed me my speed problem - rev limiter. Never would have known it was a limiter with my 29.
HS, I've seen that lingerie pic a few times...where's the rest of the series? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Also, I have a Gaffrig in my boat...according to the GPS, the Gaffrig reads 5mph high everywhere.
Have you done any speed comparisons back to back at different engine heights? Typically, a chopper style prop wants to be in the water more than a cleaver. When you find the sweet spot, the slip will be at the lowest point. My RE-3 is calculating about 6% right now, at 3/4" above the bottom. I ran a big ear 22" chopper this weekend (4-people in the boat) and it was at 4%! 74.8 at 7000 (limiter).
[This message has been edited by STV_Keith (edited July 16, 2002).]

Skaterfast
07-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Had a Mazco RE3 28" on my Stoker and it ran 97mph.Loved both the boat and prop.