PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Questions

H20MOFO
10-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I Just Bought A Project Boat. I've Been Poking Around Here For A Bit To Learn What I Can Of Gelcoating(there Is No Saving My Original Gel) I've Read It's Thicker Than Paint So I Assume My Hlv Gun Would Need Some Modifications (different Tip?) And I've Read Lots Of Sanding,is That Because Its So Thick It Goes On With A Way Bad Orange Peel? Doesn't It All Come White And You Have To Add The Color. I Have More Questions But I Better Stop Here For Now.

YeLLowBoaT
10-01-2007, 04:47 PM
What I did is when harbor frieght had thier 2 quart pot spary on sale for $20 I bought 5 of them. The tip was 1.9 which is a little small, but not really a big deal. It does take a lot more sanding. I was actaully amazed using a POS hf gun, lots of air pressure I got very little peel.( then again maybe my decade of sparying exp helped.)
Gel comes in basicly 4 forms.
ready mix color( very basic selection)
white
tint base
and clear.
The good thing about gel is its the same color wet as it is dry, so matching is easier if you know how to color match.

H20MOFO
10-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks Yellow Boat. If It Went On Without Orange Peel, What Did You Have To Sand. Does It Need To Be Sanded To Shine. 600-1500-2000-buff ,ect? I'VE Done A Little Paint Single Stage And B/c. My Only Experience With Gel Is White I Catalized And Hand Painted On The Floor Of A Boat And It Never Cured All The Way.(when It Got Hot It Got Stickey). Btw I'm Thinkin I'll Just Go Plain White. (for Now)

YeLLowBoaT
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I used the wax surface cure so I had to wipe with denatured alky then started at 220.( get rid of the wax. gel will not surface cure unless you add a curing agent or cover it) went up to 1000. have not rubbed it out yet If I could have sprayed it in an enclosed area I would have used the PVA and let it set.

H20MOFO
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM
WHEN YOU SAY COVER IT, COVER IT WITH WHAT CLEAR GELCOAT. OR????????? IS HAND PAINTING(ROLLING) WHITE GEL ON THIS THING, AND SANDING MY NUTS OFF TO GET IT SMOOTH OUT OF THE QUESTION? I'M WORRIED ABOUT SPRAYING GEL AROUND MY NEIGHBORS (THAT SHIT STINKS) AND I LIKE THE SMELL OF FIBERGLASS. THANKS:)

YeLLowBoaT
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Gel coat is made to be the 1st thing down in a mold, not sparyed on after the fact. It needs extra heat to surface cure. So your options are:
use the surface curing wax( mix with the gel and it rise to the top)
cover in in milar( works great for small repairs)
cover it in PVA mold release
bake it in a oven
take it out and leave it in the sun and let it back.
you can also role it or brush it on, but your going to have to like sanding.

H20MOFO
10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow I'm Glad I Asked. Thanks Kreg