PDA

View Full Version : rear shaft bushings: water lube vs. oil lube

jwbbuck
06-06-2002, 03:14 AM
I'm about ready to have my JG bowl sent out and have the Dominator style rear bushings installed. I didn't realize that they are only lubed by water. Is this generally considered to be better than the standard Berkeley style oil lubed bushings. Why wouldn't I want to run the shaft seal and lube them with oil?

ultimate1
06-06-2002, 11:07 PM
I have a dominator bowl and changed it to a lube fitting on the back. Due to the fact with water as a lube from the pump whatever the pumps suck up such as sand paper,plastic it will go out the rear shaft and eat up your shaft and bushing. Do yourself a favor and have a lube fitting installed will save you money in the long run.
[This message has been edited by ultimate1 (edited June 07, 2002).]

ultimate1
06-07-2002, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate1:
[B]
[This message has been edited by ultimate1 (edited June 07, 2002).]

jwbbuck
06-07-2002, 05:23 AM
Thanks Ultimate 1,
I'm not familiar with the Dominator style bushings. My Berkeley bowl has a screw-in plug in the back and a shaft seal at the front end of the bushings. Would I be better off using the shaft seal and plug, and filling with gear oil, just like a stock Berkeley setup?

jacuzer
06-07-2002, 08:25 AM
The bushings are the same material on a Berkeley or Dominator, the Dominator are just longer.(3/4 vs 1 inch) Both will run fine with just water as a lube. Stick with the stock setup on your Berk bowl since the seal will keep all the debris out of the bushings. The water will mix with the oil but that doesn't matter. As long as there is something to lube the shaft/bushings when you start up you will be fine. If you have your bowl off already, clean the bushings off with a rag and then look for shiny bronze showing through. If not, the teflon is probably still ok and they don't need to be changed.

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Stick with you stock set up VS water lube-
Silt water will take out your bushings in 9 months & maybe your shaft- Or convert to Lube. Dave