PDA

View Full Version : Rust in my block?

79Hawaiian
05-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Every time I connect the hose to my boat to fire it up after storage the water that flows out of the block is thick with rust. It is really bad after the winter storage. It even dumps rust after a few weeks of storage. I am afraid eventually this will cause failure. The boat runs cool when in the water, it has never overheated. The boat is a 79 Hawaiian 20.5ft with a Ford 460, jacuzzi jet.
Any suggestions on how this can be prevented?

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2002, 03:11 PM
Don't put it in the water... http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy06.gif
Alright, if you have to put it in water...
...when I store my boat for any period of time, I always pull off the top thermostat housing hose and pour antifreeze in it till it runs out the pipes...
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

jordanpaulk
05-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Just dont look back. Keep your eye focused forward and you wont even notice it. Kinda like if it starts making a funny noise... just get a louder stereo... ha ha ha

BlownChevy
05-24-2002, 09:32 AM
It may just be surface rust... nothing to worry about... what kind of exhaust are you running? I heard before that blocks are purposely left out to weather (by GM, ford etc), and rust, so the block gets seasoned. This makes it stronger... so i know your block wont be hurt but maybe your exaust could be

79Hawaiian
05-24-2002, 10:14 AM
Exhaust is water logs connected to over the transom pipes. Water discharged from the block flows to both pipes around the silencers. I did already loose a set of pipes to rust a few years ago but I think it was age, not engine rust. The bracket that holds the silencer in the pipe is what rusted out and went through the wall of the pipe. I was curious if everyone sees rust (who are not running a heat exchanger). When growing up my dad had a Caravell I/O with a SB chevy. I never saw rust come out of that engine after a long winter.

openminds
05-27-2002, 07:42 AM
Takes about 3 weeks for mine, but will always get the reliable rust flow. Guess it to be a good indication water is getting to my block. (BB Chevy) I do have one of those useless solar shower bags, that I adapted a hose fitting to, fill it with antifreeze, and stand on it till the antifreeze comes out the other end. Now THAT use wasn't in the catalogue.