PDA

View Full Version : Jacuzzi wear ring lifespan?

79Hawaiian
05-23-2002, 02:56 PM
I had my jacuzzi pump rebuilt about 10 years ago when I first bought the boat. The bearings and wear ring were replaced, the impeller was fine. I grease the fittings on the pump every outing, the pump seems to be nice and tight. My question is the wear ring? How do I know when it needs replacement? Are there any indications of a worn ring?

Banshee
05-23-2002, 05:19 PM
RPM is the best indicator of pump condition. If you didn't do any motor work since the last pump rebuild andengine speed at WOT is the same, chances are the pump is still pretty tight.

79Hawaiian
05-23-2002, 10:05 PM
No engine work has been done since the pump. I did do a complete rebuild including new closed port heads 6 months before the pump was done. Sadly I don't have a point of reference as to speed. The boat has no speed-o. It seems slower but it could be my imagination. I clocked it via GPS last summer for the first time. With just me in the boat with 5 gallons of gas, no gear I hit the mind blowing speed of 42mph. I think I was running around 4000rpm but I should be able to verify this weekend what the RPM is wide open. Seems like a bit slow for this type of boat??? If I pull the bowl how do I check the wear ring? Visual? Feeler gauge? Any web links anyone could provide would be appreciated!!!

beached1
05-24-2002, 03:58 AM
If you have a WJ (mixed flow) then you have a polimer wear ring. I would say that you should change it based on the fact that you said it has been in there for 10 years. Changing it isn't that hard. Look for a book called Marine Jet drive by Seloc. Just about everyone sells it, ie. Rex marine for reference. remove the transom cover piece, and bowl. Then you should see a sand cap with a set screw in it. Remove the sand cap and impeller nut. Then I used 2 pry bars and just put a slight amount of pressure on the impeller. Then had a buddy hit the shaft with a soft hammer (I used a lead hammer for example). You shouldn't have to hit the shaft very hard at all. Just a little bump and the impeller should pop off. Then you will see the wear ring. It's intalled with 4 self tapping screws so just take them out and the wear ring should come out with no prob. Then take the impeller and wear ring to a good pump shop like MPD and have them mic out the impeller and measure the OD wear ring area. Obviously, you don't want to replace with a stock sized wear ring. The older your impeller is, the more you'll need a bigger wear ring. If the OD is too far gone but your impeller is fine, have the shop slip a stainless sleave over the wear ring area.

jim lee
05-24-2002, 08:24 AM
I have a WJ and the wear ring in there is pushing 33 years old. Still goin' strong! (Had it checked by a pump guy. He said it looked fine to him.)
Well, it would be going strong if there was an engine in the boat, but I'm working on that!
-jim lee

79Hawaiian
05-24-2002, 10:26 AM
My pump is somewhat of a bastard stepchild of the 12WJ (see picture below). It is rumored to be called the "piranah" pump, only about 200 produced. It looks just like the WJ but has an external cleanout and a ride plate under the pump. I am guessing the internal parts are the same as a standard WJ.
beached1-Thanks for the tips. Do you know what other parts (seals, o-rings, etc) that will be distroyed during disassembly that I will need to buy as well?
http://www.boener.com/piranah.jpg

beached1
05-25-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by 79Hawaiian:
My pump is somewhat of a bastard stepchild of the 12WJ (see picture below). It is rumored to be called the "piranah" pump, only about 200 produced. It looks just like the WJ but has an external cleanout and a ride plate under the pump. I am guessing the internal parts are the same as a standard WJ.
beached1-Thanks for the tips. Do you know what other parts (seals, o-rings, etc) that will be distroyed during disassembly that I will need to buy as well?
http://www.boener.com/piranah.jpg
I would rather have your bastard than mine. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif I belive your Pirana has a four blade, berkley like, impeller. I have e-mailed North American Marine Jet (they now own and sell Jacuzzi parts as you may know) and asked if they could send me all or any info on the pirana. One of the many cool upgrades that can be done to a WJ is having the shaft, wear ring and intake modified to accept a berkley impeller. I was hoping I could circumvent all the machine work if I could just install a Pirana impeller. I haven't heard back from them yet.
As far as parts needed when removing your impeller and wear ring, you should only need 3 new o rings that I can think of. Actually, you may only need two. I forgot the biggest O ring on mine is the one that goes around the bowl and seals to the transom cover. You won't need that one. I may have forgotten one but, do not get them through a marine supply, boat or pump shop. You will get raped....analy. I get all my O rings and any rubber hoses and fittings from a place called
International Rubber & Supply
1400 Colton Ave
Colton, CA 92324-2550
Phone (909)825-1330
The two O rings that I'm thinking of should only run you a couple bucks. They can match any size O ring or any kind of rubber. They even make those rubber exahust flappers that you can get nailed for at Rex or eddie marine. If you can't find a place like this up where you live, you might want to contact them and see if there are any other locations.
I found a link that will give you the whole diagram and parts price sheet for a WJ.
http://www.marinejet.com/pdf/NAMJ_12WJ_price_list.pdf
it takes a little while to download if you are using dial up.
hope this helps.
[This message has been edited by beached1 (edited May 25, 2002).]

79Hawaiian
05-25-2002, 07:54 AM
You the man! Thanks again. I think I will tear into it sometime next week.