PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Paint

pokerboat
10-13-2007, 05:03 PM
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/pokerboat/?action=view&current=DSC00077.jpgDose any one now what kind of chemical striper could be used to remove bottom paint with out hurting the gel coat of my fiberglass boat.

H20MOFO
10-23-2007, 06:23 PM
bump for poker he's a good dude. is it done already poker? i'd wet sand it off. but i'm a rookie. when your done are you painting or???????????

pokerboat
10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
I haven't stated yet. Yes I am going to paint it, but someone bottom painted it. It’s a thick coat of paint that’s why I am hopping to chemically strip it.

jrork
10-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Hey Pokie, sorry to hear somebody bottom painted it. There are a number of good chemical strippers out there that would probably do it. I think the key would be to go slow, work in small areas and don't let it set too long. Maybe try taking it off in layers and then when you are getting close to the end of it, switch to wet sanding the last little bit.
You might try talking to somebody that can do media blasting and see if they think they have enough control to do it without beating up your gell really bad. I dont know but many of the boats I've seen around here, people lay that bottom coat on THICK!
Good luck and keep us posted......john

pokerboat
10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh ya they laid that bottom paint on thick the previous owner was from jrorks neck of the woods Gig Harbor and would run it in the chuck. Has anyone ever used ether of these products Interlux Fiberglass Pintoff 299 paint remover or Petti Bio Blast Bottom paint remover.

jrork
10-31-2007, 05:17 AM
Nah, I'm afraid I haven't used either. Just try some in a little area and see how it does. Good luck and let's see some pics...john