PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat Feels like a slipping clutch

Chav
05-31-2002, 09:44 AM
Hello all,
This is my first post here and I would just like to say hi!
I searched to make sure this hasnt been covered before.
The problem I'm having is my sugar sand heat xrt with a 120xr mercury sport jet engine feels like it has a slipping clutch (revs go up, but speed doesnt) once I get on plane and try and push it above 30mph. I know this is hard to diagnose just from this, but do you guys have anything in particular for me to look for in trying to figure out whats wrong. If this is from an air leak is there a place I should start looking first. Thank you!
-Chav

Jungle Boy
05-31-2002, 11:19 AM
Check the condition of your impeller and look for an obstruction in the grate. A small rock or stick wedged between the blades of the impeller will cause the feeling of the boat spinning out.

JetBoatRich
05-31-2002, 11:21 AM
Sounds like impeller problems. Maybe sucking Air?

flat broke
05-31-2002, 11:22 AM
Chav,
Your guess is a good one and strikes at the root cause of the problem. For some reason the pump isn't moving any more water regardless of RPM. As you stated check for air leaks(inake to suction joint, hand hole cover), also check for obstructions in the pump you could have pulled in a ski rope, rocks or trash that are blocking the impeller from pulling more water. The other posibility is that your intake is not very efficient and your setup requires something to grab water and redirect it towards the intake. If this is the case make sure your intake grate/loader is in place and not damaged. Those are pretty much the basic items. From there I would say if you check all of the above and everything looks good, your impeller to wear ring clearance might be shot and you're blowing water around instead of through the impeller, though this is typically more pronounced at take off than once on plane.
Good luck,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)