PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling gas tanks part 2

slotracer
11-22-2007, 01:41 PM
ok so i got the tank out and need to reglass it in. what do i use to clean the surface to make sure the new glass sticks and how do i know if its rough enough?:idea:

468miller
11-22-2007, 09:31 PM
acetone, fyi fiberglass dosent like to stick to metal too well, take your time, mine are in so thick id have to cut for hours too get em out. As ive said before, rinse them with simple green, a gallon in each, they will be like brand new, unless they are new allready, good luck;)

Icarus prospector
11-23-2007, 06:14 AM
Rough up the area of the boat's bottom as well as the aluminum/stainless with a 24 or 36 grit wheel. The idea is to give the new glass some tooth. Wipe w/acetone and then tape the area off to help line up where the tabs go and keep the mess to a minimum. If things are too loose, simply apply a bit of hot glue to hold it in place, like a tack weld.

slotracer
11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
thanks for the info. i knew there was something to clean it with but did not remember what it was. i am going to try and set it in adhesive on the bottom then glass in the tank on the sides.

Icarus prospector
11-23-2007, 04:52 PM
As far as the bedding compound goes, the quick and easy way is to use a couple of fist-sized wads of "Tiger Hair" which is similar to a resinous Bondo that is catalized with bondo hardener. The long strands of chopped strand act to thicken it up and adds a lot of strength and filling capability.
Mix up a batch, bed the tanks and smooth out as best you can before it totally kicks off. Then lay up your matt and roving strips on the tank.