PDA

View Full Version : Sanger project

Eddy
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I picked up an older Sanger (1977 buble deck), that needed some TLC last year and started to remove everything. My plan was to take it down to the bare hull, strip the various layers of paint/gel coat and have the boat repainted/gelcoated, rebuild the motor, new interior, ect. In the teardown process, the subfloor has major rot as do the stringers. I was planning on taking the boat in for the repairs, but my better half was laid off recently, putting this project on hold. I've looked into several of the West epoxy systems for reglassing in a new floor and stringers as well. it is now looking like I might tackle the sanding down process of the existing paint/gelcoat.
I'm looking for information as how to start the sanding process. Do I start with a power sander, and if so what grit levels or by hand ?

smasher 5000
08-13-2008, 08:24 AM
i don't know that you need to take it down to the bare glass just sand out all the bad spots till there gone and rough out the rest for spider cracks that are really deep you can fill in with an epoxy paste. as for the stringers You Can Doooit! its not that hard once you get started good luck. hey i live in ceder Repids Iowa if you live near here I could help you with this .

sangerfan76
08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
ok I am a sanger nut. i am currently doing stringers in my hydro. i tell you what i dont care who says what its alot of work. you must consider manythings when doing it. luckly sanger stringers were laid in dry when hull was built so its not tooooo bad getting them out, but you must remember you best put the exactly in the right spot otherwise nothing will fit and youll have waisted a ton of cash and got no where. you also got to buy kiln dried wood and shape it proper. im in my hydro about a grand with materials . remember its a flat bottom , when your done its still only wurth so much. sounds like you can buy another hull cheaper. if you like i live in the central valley of calif and ill look at it if your fairly close to see if i can help you in any way my 2 cents

Eddy
09-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Sorry for not getting back sooner, work has kept me on the road for the last several months. Thanks for the advice on sanding the boat down and info on the stringers. My concern on the stringers is that when I pulled out the motor, i noticed that the rails bolted to the stringer are at a slight angle, and taper downward towards the back of the boat, so I'll need to make good measurements before I remove them. As for location, I live in the South Bay, a fews miles South of LAX airport. Appreciate the responses. I'll be temporary relocating to the east coast in a few months, so it looks like the project will be placed on hold until I return back home.

sangerfan76
09-10-2008, 06:32 PM
no prob. mine were the same way sometimes the bolts loosen and there not checked torque will do this. use a ice pick and poke in the holes if its soft well then you know what you need to do if not you can use aluminum on both sides of the stringers to help support it. delamination looks like yellow blush color and rot is black. some well is ot it is a old boat but use stainless bolts next time . steel promotes water and wood dont like it. use anti sieze or youll make it permanant. i did body and paint for 15 yrs. i use 180 gr to smooth it down the polyester primer then block it. seal it then paint. i know its a project but you might be better to have your stringers looked at in so cal if they need work let them then come out and get boat. sounds like you got alot on the plate . i use bullett fiberglass in madera cal but look up billy b in upland ca he all over performanceboats.com awsome work i paid 3500 for new stringers and floors in my cruiser you may get off real cheap at least youll know what your in for

mobboss
05-26-2011, 07:56 PM
it is going to depend how bad the paint is???? Honestly do not use coarse paper, cause you will be sanding out all those scratches you put in it . 320 wet or dry is your best bet.