PDA

View Full Version : home made swim steps

WetNwild
06-15-2002, 04:11 PM
has anyone made there own swim steps, do thay ride on, in or out of the water?

froggystyle
06-15-2002, 10:55 PM
I have not, but they would definitely ride out of the water.

beached1
06-16-2002, 06:07 AM
When I get the time, I'm going to replace mine. It's getting a little weathered looking and I don't like the design or finish so I was going to make a new one. Just make sure you use either Teak or Mahogany if you are going to make out of wood. Len seed oil or finishing resin make for a good protectant coat.

Infomaniac
06-16-2002, 06:36 AM
Install them right at just above water level when the boat is floating. They will be well out of the water when on plane.

flat broke
06-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Well, if you call milling them out of a solid chunk of aluminum "home made" then yeah, we're just putting the finishing touches on some home made units. In the water, they will be almost dead even with the water line, and on plane, they are out of the water by a good distance. I'll try and get some pics up of the steps before powdercoating sometime today or tomorrow. I'd also like to mention that if anyone needs custom aluminum or stainless work done, they should contact me via email at admin@liquidaddiction.net
Thanks,
Chris

1HOTGMCJET
06-17-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm fortunate enough to have a friend that is a MASTER woodworker - hand-made this for me out of solid teakwood - so sorry, folks, no, he won't do another, but it's a BEAUTIFUL piece - cant wait to put her on my boat when it's time......
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/SwimPlatform1.JPG

spectras only
06-17-2002, 03:12 PM
1hotgmcjet, I made some swimgrids like yours long time ago out of cedar strips with stainless rods and glue holding it together ,and epoxy coated it.May I suggest your friend to round the corners as well,and a stainless molding around the perimeter to protect from occasional dock bumping http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif,just my 0.02 hehe

wsuwrhr
06-17-2002, 07:19 PM
I have a friend who lives in Canyon Lakes Ca. that can do any woodwork you are interested in.
Brian

1HOTGMCJET
06-18-2002, 09:52 AM
spectras, that's REALLY cool that you were able to construct something like that (for some reason, wood and I don't seem to get along - lol), and your ideas are both good ones....I may do the stainless molding, that's a good idea - as far as the corners, I see your point, but I wouldn't ask him to do any more work than he's done already, since he did it as a favor for me and didn't charge me a dime (even paid for the wood!) - WSU, thanks for the lead on your friend, I sure hope it helps somebody out! Sorry if it came off wrong, but the only reason I said what I did about my friend not doing another was that every time I have shown it to others, the first thing they say is "Nice!", then the second is "Can he do mine?" I asked him about it, but he said he just did it as a favor for me and didn't care to do another........so again, sorry if it sounded like bragging or whatever, it wasn't my intent at all......