PDA

View Full Version : 460 oil question?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-11-2002, 04:05 PM
My buddys boat had low oil pressure when i drove it two weeks ago. The pressure was at 20psi while driving and never went up. So I told him to buy a new gage and still he has the same oil pressure. What do you guys think? I am not a ford guy I was just trying to help him with his problem so we can see more jets on the lake!
396--out

06-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Have him change the filter, sometimes the filter goes south and low pressure will happen. Check the oil for fuel dilution too. Do the easy stuff first.

Hallett19
06-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Same problem I had with my boat, ended up being a cam bearing went bad, but oil press could be a number of things, high volume oil pump with a small pan, is it low only at high RPM's ? Bearings going south(cam and mains/rods), oil pump taking a crap, oil filter, fuel in oil, water in oil, bad sending unit/guage, lack of oil, or his engine might have aids or a bad ticker!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif But I doubt that

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys I will pass the info on to him.The pressure is always at 20.He was thinking his bearings too.
396--out

david laxton
06-12-2002, 04:38 AM
Look at the filter 1st. If the boat has sat up and went through some heat cycles it will sweat like a soda can. When you fire it off all the condisation formes a thick film on the filter media and it will not pass oil.
I pulled the pan changed the pump and still only had 20psi. Replaced the filter and wamo 80psi. If he has a electric gauge you may try a new sender. Try the simple things first.