PDA

View Full Version : My 454 won't start again!!!

JetboatJon454
05-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Hey all......
Recently I just did a few things to the boat in preperation for warmer weather here in chicago. I changed the oil, replaced a couple of freeze plugs that popped (ooops!), and last replaced the valve covers. Now the boat won't turn over! Before I did all that work it started without hesitating. It seems like it wants to start and when it does it runs for like 1 second and then craps out, but it will keep going if I give it gas. I already had it at top dead center and played with the timing on the distributor and it doesn't seem to be working. To help my starting situation because I'm running 11:1 compression I added a high torque starter. It also seems to start a bit easier when I pull the hose for the vacuum advance hose off. Any ideas or suggestions?

MikeF
05-21-2002, 05:31 PM
JBJ, Were is that vacuum line attached to? It should be connected to the metering block on the carb...not to manifold vacuum! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif When you say it "won't turn over" is that the crank is not turning?

JetboatJon454
05-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Yes it is connected to the metering I dunno the name but it's attached to a fitting on the carb and it goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor thats the only line I know of. And I am pretty certain the crank is spinning when I am starting it if that is

searssears1
05-21-2002, 05:55 PM
JBJ454,are you using last years fuel or fresh fuel.You might have water in your lines.
Just a thought.

JetboatJon454
05-21-2002, 05:57 PM
Actually yes I am running fuel from october.....but the thing that gets me is it was just running a month ago.

MikeF
05-21-2002, 06:03 PM
JBJ, Maybe your idle circuit has a varnish buildup. You say it starts and runs if you give it throttle but not when you close the throttle. Spray some carb cleaner in and clear out those air bleed passages. Mike

JetboatJon454
05-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by MikeF:
JBJ, Maybe your idle circuit has a varnish buildup. You say it starts and runs if you give it throttle but not when you close the throttle. Spray some carb cleaner in and clear out those air bleed passages. Mike
I'm not sure what an idle circuit is but I'm not sure I have one....it's looks like a very simple setup with a carb. I already sprayed gumout down the carb didn't help at all.

wsm9808
05-21-2002, 06:27 PM
ok, it I read your post right, you said it will start for a second and die, but if you pump the throttle some after it starts it will keep running.
My first thought from that would be the choke is stuck open and not letting it idle while cold

JetboatJon454
05-21-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by wsm9808:
ok, it I read your post right, you said it will start for a second and die, but if you pump the throttle some after it starts it will keep running.
My first thought from that would be the choke is stuck open and not letting it idle while cold
Yes it'll run for a second then klunk out.....it seems like it's misfiring when I repeatedly give it gas. I mean I've tried advancing it and retarding it just doesn't want to kick over this time.

Costello
05-21-2002, 08:15 PM
My guess is you've flooded it. Have you pulled the plugs to ensure that they are dry? Try a shot of ether starting fluid that should help it to get running after you've dried off the plugs, or even if it was not flooded try it.

wsm9808
05-21-2002, 08:22 PM
When you changed the valve covers did you have to remove the plug wires? Possibly the plug wires are mixed now. That can make an engine spit and stumble pretty bad.

JetboatJon454
05-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Costello:
My guess is you've flooded it. Have you pulled the plugs to ensure that they are dry? Try a shot of ether starting fluid that should help it to get running after you've dried off the plugs, or even if it was not flooded try it.
Nope....I didn't have to take the wires off thank goodness. Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of too is I flooded the engine I've been constantly pumping probably when I shouldn't have been. I think I might try and pull all the spark plugs and try and soak up the gas with a clean rag, I'm sure they are drenched I don't see why else it's not starting. Now as for the starting fluid should I spray it on the spark plugs, probably not or down the carb per the instructions?

Costello
05-22-2002, 06:56 AM
Jon, if you have a Coast Guard approved flame arrestor type air cleaner shoot it right through there before cranking and it will work fine. If you have a K&N or some other type of filter with rubbber, fiber or anything else that could burn, Do Not spray through the filter. (I'm speaking from sad experience here! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif) I'm sure you will find the plugs are soaked. Once you get the plugs all out, you may want to crank over the engine to vent each cylinder a little bit too. Remember, pumping the pedal hits your accelerator pump each time you pump and adds to the problem. The correct way to start an engine you suspect you may have flooded is to leave your foot to the floor bringing as much air into the engine as you can to remedy the situation.

Licketty Split
05-22-2002, 07:36 AM
give it WOT then crank it wait for it to catch and run it up for a minute or so good luck

JetboatJon454
05-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Licketty Split:
give it WOT then crank it wait for it to catch and run it up for a minute or so good luck
Strange thing is when I mash it down at wide open throttle it doesn't like it when I try and start it. I can say that's the only motor I have worked with that doesn't like that.

Wet Dream
05-22-2002, 09:36 PM
My first question is: Why did the freeze plugs pop out??? Did you possibly forget to winterize it and left it out in the cold? This not only will pop a freeze plug or two, but will destroy your block. Water turning into ice has a lot of force. Could the cylinders be cracked in a few places from the pressure, or the mainfold separated so you have a gap? Maybe the head gaskets are taost so there isn't any compression???
Do a compression check.

Wet Dream
05-24-2002, 07:41 AM
Any progress?

JetboatJon454
05-24-2002, 07:54 AM
No progress so far just sitting around kicking myself in the butt. I'm taking it to a mechanic friend on sunday so hopefully I'll be blasting down the river later that day. I will keep you all posted though.

Wet Dream
05-24-2002, 09:26 AM
Was it winterized??? Why were the freeze plugs popped out? Were they rusted?

JetboatJon454
05-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Wet Dream:
Was it winterized??? Why were the freeze plugs popped out? Were they rusted?
Unfortunately no it wasn't winterized that was my first winter actually owning a boat good thing I didn't buy brand new. Basically all I did was fog the cylinders and that was it.

Wet Dream
05-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Thats not good news. I would do a compression check. Chances are that the block is toast.

JetboatJon454
05-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Don't you think I might have the benefit of the doubt though since it's a big block which is made a bit stronger.....and just not any other 6cyl?

JetboatJon454
05-27-2002, 06:48 PM
Hey all just an update.....I got the boat started had a buddy look at it for me. I'm a total moron and I got the firing order wrong but it started which was the strange thing. But anyway that was corrected and it runs like a beast. Now all I have to do is run it in the water and check if the block will leak wooohooo!

Wet Dream
05-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by JetboatJon454:
Don't you think I might have the benefit of the doubt though since it's a big block which is made a bit stronger.....and just not any other 6cyl?
NOT AT ALL