PDA

View Full Version : Place Diverter Buy!!!! (Finally)

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 02:17 PM
OK everyone... I have some great prices on some diverters for you. They are from www.boatpart.com (http://www.boatpart.com) and smoke CP's prices, which doesn't matter because they won't return my calls anyway!
Directions for purchase...
Go to www.boatpart.com (http://www.boatpart.com) Go to the very bottom of the page underneath the bikini girl, type in your password...your Email Address... and hit GO. You password is...
"Squirt" (What, you were expecting something else from me? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif )
Next, Then go to the page they set up to accomodate you. Then click the link to buy. Prices are as listed, and the kits appear to be complete. They also have individual hydraulic kits and upgrades available.
Hopefully, next time I see you all on the river it really will be...
Squirts up!
Wes
[This message has been edited by froggystyle (edited June 06, 2002).]

GlastronGuy
06-06-2002, 04:09 PM
No offense but their price for an "E" diverter is $760. I can get it for $665 at http://www.jetboatperformance.com

future boater
06-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy:
No offense but their price for an "E" diverter is $760. I can get it for $665 at http://www.jetboatperformance.com
then buy it! no offense....

GlastronGuy
06-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by future boater:
Then blow me! No offense.....
I was under the impression that this was a bulk buy, deal thread.

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Ya know something... I think the prices went up from what he e-mailed me to begin with. That wasn't the deal he talked about.
I am foing to investigate further.
By the way.. jetboatperformance is still in the running, but the price this guy quoted me smoked these prices.

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 06:13 PM
No offense taken, I assure you. I am just trying to get everyone the best deal bulk can buy. My suspicion is that somehow his new page is linking to the list prices.
We will see.

ChetCapoli
06-06-2002, 06:17 PM
I was under the impression that this was a bulk buy, deal thread.
relax glastron,
these guys have been jerkin around on this for weeks now....there's a reason CP is not getting involved and they have ALWAYS had the best price on Place diverter. I dont think anyone can do any better bulk or not.
Chet"off to buy a fake rolex with a smile" Capoli

GlastronGuy
06-06-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
relax glastron,
these guys have been jerkin around on this for weeks now....there's a reason CP is not getting involved and they have ALWAYS had the best price on Place diverter. I dont think anyone can do any better bulk or not.
Chet"off to buy a fake rolex with a smile" Capoli
Thanks for the input. I am just glad this deal isn't about any of that Aggressor junk.

GlastronGuy
06-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by froggystyle:
No offense taken, I assure you. I am just trying to get everyone the best deal bulk can buy. My suspicion is that somehow his new page is linking to the list prices.
We will see.
I was only trying to point out that a closer look needed to be taken at those prices. The other bozo just pi$$ed me off.

RP
06-06-2002, 07:21 PM
Hey froggy
I know that I am reading this many, many writings later than it began, but I was wondering if you called the Places personally. If so what was their responce?
They are pesonal friends and I might be able to help... who knows.
RP

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 08:45 PM
I talked to Frank and Tim, and they don't wish to undercut their dealers, but said that if one of them wanted to cut the price for the exposure they had no problems with it.

future boater
06-06-2002, 10:09 PM
none taken. if i found a price cheaper by a hun i would take it. this bozo didnt mean to offend

future boater
06-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I am just glad this deal isn't about any of that Aggressor junk.
oh and just a little word of advice....chet is quite the fan of aggressor products. didnt i see aggressor products on that page!?!

ChetCapoli
06-06-2002, 10:18 PM
hey glastron,
are you like froggy and know quality when you see it? Or in this case have you seen it? Thanks for clearing it up.
CHET "FR" Capoli
[This message has been edited by ChetCapoli (edited June 06, 2002).]

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Chet... Ah never mind. You are just so... so contrary.

Bubbledeck2
06-07-2002, 05:43 AM
and smoke CP's prices, which doesn't matter because they won't return my calls anyway!
kind of arrogant when they want to be eh?
Like when they say their prices won't be beat and that they will "price match", then WON'T?
Sooner or later their "I don't give a shit" attitude will catch up with them.

froggystyle
06-07-2002, 07:24 AM
It is ridiculous actually. It is not often someone hands you 10-15 sales of a profitable item, shows you how to contact the purchasers and all we want is a little price break.
[This message has been edited by froggystyle (edited June 07, 2002).]

GlastronGuy
06-07-2002, 08:07 AM
oh and just a little word of advice....chet is quite the fan of aggressor products. didnt i see aggressor products on that page!?!
I know, that's why I posted that. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
I already have a mother, I don't need chet telling me how to act.

BoatPart.Com
06-07-2002, 12:46 PM
Ya know something... I think the prices went up from what he e-mailed me to begin with. That wasn't the deal he talked about.
I am foing to investigate further.
By the way.. jetboatperformance is still in the running, but the price this guy quoted me smoked these prices.
I would like to clarify somwething. I just got off the phone w/ place diverter. Frank could stop selling to vendors-like me-if we cut prices too low...I assure you guys just like I assured Froggystyle...I will give you the best deal possible, but you can't expect people to put thier necks/business on the line, especially when they arent even hardly makin any money on the deal.
I hope we can work on this, but vendors, like myself should not be expected to risk it to make everyone happy. Im sure we can come to a good deal that works for everyone...ASAP.
BoatPart.Com
[This message has been edited by BoatPart.Com (edited June 07, 2002).]

froggystyle
06-07-2002, 01:18 PM
The price difference I thought existed was the cost of the cable, that I did not add into the equation. The prices on the site are correct, and I apologize to Boatparts.com for inferring that they changed them, I just misunderstood.
Bottom line, these are the best prices I have been quoted personally. There was a great deal of interest in this product, and now a vendor is stepping forward with the best price they can offer. I hope you guys entertain them for your business.
Squirts up,
Wes

GlastronGuy
06-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by BoatPart.Com:
I would like to clarify somwething. I just got off the phone w/ place diverter. Frank could stop selling to vendors-like me-if we cut prices too low...I assure you guys just like I assured Froggystyle...I will give you the best deal possible, but you can't expect people to put thier necks/business on the line, especially when they arent even hardly makin any money on the deal.
I hope we can work on this, but vendors, like myself should not be expected to risk it to make everyone happy. Im sure we can come to a good deal that works for everyone...ASAP.
BoatPart.Com
Nobody expects you to risk anything. We just thought if we made a group purchase that we could get a better deal. I appreciate the work that froggystyle has put into this and I appreciate you taking the time to put together a group deal.

Bubbledeck2
06-07-2002, 02:57 PM
I talked to Frank and Tim, and they don't wish to undercut their dealers, but said that if one of them wanted to cut the price for the exposure they had no problems with it.
doesn't sound to me like Place would be inclined to stop selling to certain dealers because they dropped the price.
I always thought that Manfs only wanted their money out of a product and if a dealer wanted to give the product away that was their perogative.
Personally I'd like to see Place just set a price and sell direct to consumers eliminating the middleman and all the BS in the process. They have the name recognition to do that I believe.
Anyway, props to froggy for the effort, I know he's only doing this to help his fellow boater.

ROZ
06-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Bubbledeck2:
doesn't sound to me like Place would be inclined to stop selling to certain dealers because they dropped the price.
I always thought that Manfs only wanted their money out of a product and if a dealer wanted to give the product away that was their perogative.
You'd think this would be true, but there are many MFG's out there that set pricing agreements with retailers. I know that there are many factory direct (not through mktng firms)consumer electronics companies out there that are even setting pricing agreements with E-retailers on current products.
This of course makes customer service a higher priority to the business as well as the consumer.
Props (squirts in this case) to boatpart.com to comming on the boards for clarification. Sounds like he's in for doing whatever's best for a win win situation. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

comin' unscrewed
06-07-2002, 07:08 PM
but there are many MFG's out there that set pricing agreements with retailers
Isn't that called "price fixing" and isn't it illegal? Somebody check with Bill Gates.

ChetCapoli
06-07-2002, 07:45 PM
I already have a mother, I don't need chet telling me how to act.
Thanks for answering my question glastron, very informative indeed.
Chet

ChetCapoli
06-07-2002, 07:55 PM
especially when they arent even hardly makin any money on the deal.
The main reason that is is because place diverter has never had any competiton...until now. Time to give old place that kick in the pants they have needed for the last 10 or so years.... suggestion here froggy, why not call up American turbine since the fake rolex won't do and make a deal for these guys on their version of a diverter?? Whadia think?
Chet
[This message has been edited by ChetCapoli (edited June 07, 2002).]

HOSS
06-08-2002, 03:12 PM
I`m ready to buy and apreciate the help. I don`t care who makes it, just don`t want to pay a whole hell of a lot for cast aluminum. I`m thinking more along the lines of hydraulic instead of mechanical.

flat broke
06-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Like most of the guys on the boards, I already have my diverter, but I know that they cost a freaking arm and a leg for what they are. I have a bright idea for anyone trying to swing a group purchase deal with one of the vendors that doesn't want to piss off the Place's (btw, price fixing is bullshit and legal or not gets a thumbs down on my end). Why don't you approach Boatpart or whoever and do this. Get a promotional code setup for ***boat.net buyers between date x and y. That code entitles you to say %10, %20, %30 off of the total purchase price for whatever you want to buy. Then you all buy your diverters. Boatpart or whoever didn't undercut Place, they had a sale. Even if you only got %10 off (and we all know that the vendors can do better since the markup on most marine items is probably around %100-%200) that would be around $60 bucks off a manual setup which basically makes the cable free.
Or, do as Chet suggests and buy an Aggressor diverter. All things being equal they appear to be a good deal for the money. Outside of some group deal or other special consideration you basically have 2 options. 1. You pony up and buy the Place Diverter at the seemingly regulated prices like the rest of us. 2. You buy the Aggressor diverter that probably works just as well for less money.
Chris

project-speed
06-09-2002, 11:08 AM
Great idea flat, I think that's the best way to go.

froggystyle
06-10-2002, 07:31 AM
You guys all bring up good points... even Chet.
Frank Place innovated the design, and designed the first prototype for mass consumption. It worked awesome and gave us jetters one thing that the prop guys didn't have in family lake boats... the rooster tail! The Place family continues to build the diverters today, innovating and updating the design to better suit todays boaters, and does only diverters and droops. Aggressor, American Turbine, Bushwacker etc... are variations on the theme, and are probably sound designs as well, as they were patterned after the original.
My money will always go with the innovator. The man (or woman) who designed it, was so sure it would work that they raised them money to begin producing it. Then marketed it, proved it's worth and became the standard. Anyone else is just jumping to the produce part and sell it as a cheaper version.
To quote John Ruskin... "Quality. There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."
I will be building a product eventually, and I'm sure that I will be copied. I am banking on the fact that there are people like me who understand that supporting the innovator, not the clone is a better way of doing business.
John West, the owner of Ultra has seen his original designs for boat gelcoats pop up on Sleekcraft, Commander, Magic, Conquest, and many more just to name a few, but does not get upset. Sure, you can get a Sleekcraft with the "same" paint scheme, but you can't put in in the water next to an Ultra. One owner bought the innovator, and the other bought the fake, and they both look the part.
Place does not undercut their dealers because it is unethical. They have established a dealer network that they support. I imagine they all get wholesale, with different discounts from it for greater volume. Some can sell it for less, some can't, but if you want a Place diverter... you need to go to a dealer. We have a dealer stepping forward for those interested in buying and original Place diverter. Buy, or don't buy. These are the lowest prices I have seen on these items, and they are willing to do the sale to gain your confidence and exposure for their website.
Yes, they are expensive.
Quick joke... "Why are divorces so expensive?"
Because they are worth it.
(Just kidding honey!)
Squirts up

HavasuDreamin'
06-10-2002, 08:38 AM
You mean.........I have never had a divorce that has't cost me a fortune.......I I have never had one that hasn't been worth every penny! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-11-2002, 09:18 AM
I would like to clarify somwething. I just got off the phone w/ place diverter. Frank could stop selling to vendors-like me-if we cut prices too low...I assure you guys
BoatPart.Com
Federal Law Prohibits this under Fair Trade-

froggystyle
06-11-2002, 09:41 AM
I just checked out jetboatperformance.com and they had the 12JG setup for $585 + tax where this guy at www.boatpart.com (http://www.boatpart.com) is offering us $570. I think that most people here are getting the JG type setup, and this is the best price I have seen. CP has it for $595, so they are getting quite a break here.

miller19j
06-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Froggy,
Thanks for researching the best deal for us! I am sure that it took up a lot of your time and I just wanted to say “Thank You”

checkmate76
06-11-2002, 11:55 AM
I thought the Berkeley "Jetovator" was the original!
yes I know they probably only fit berkeley and are probably out of date but thats what everybody used to call em years ago.
they never heard of "place diverter"???
of course they don't sell complete units anymore only parts.
also f.y.i. mercruiser made a jet drive years ago... I don't know if they had a diverter but what ever happened with them?

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-11-2002, 12:00 PM
You guys all bring up good points... even Chet.
Squirts up
Trim Diverter was designed by Berkeley 35+ years ago and called a "jet o vater"
Place has a Patent for a ride plate surface with no outlet surface below the ride plate.
We showed a proto trim unit @ the L.A. Boat Show 5-6 years ago. What happened after is testing on several proto units showed us a lot.
#1 We had a weak pull test on our reverse.
#2 We felt Pump was a warrenty problem(we found lots, setting at shops for rebuilds)
#3 Our bracket design left much to be desired.
#4 Using the existing pump required wiring problem with diodes we wanted to do away with.
It took us 4 years to complete what we wanted for our unit and release it.
We choose Parker Hennifen to manufacture our new pump- Based on a modified version of the OilDyne pump used to raise outboards for years. We now have a full forward, full reverse 12V pump motor which operates at 450 psi., has a capacity pressure of 2000 psi and overflow protection valves returning to oil sump tank. A pre-color coded wire loom Harness in 16' length. Includes all voltage drops in its own sealed box.(color coded @ motor & steering wheel).Our own mounting bracket machined from extruded Al. and hard black anodized.
All bracketry was redesigned to left side.
Hyd.Cylinders were changed by Parker Hennifin to include 3rd internal O'Ring Seal(additional up/pressures generated in race boats). Racer Mdl with pre sets & no exit ports to be released early summer.
Nozzle was redesigned to increase the reverse flow volumn by some 30% to meet our reverse pull test demand. Bore was opened up
to accept larger choke diameters. Aggressor pump pulls a 3.250 choke & larger.
The Rudder was redesigned from a weld in unit to a machined insert & Pinned unit.
1,000 pound burst lines are now provided with each Hyd. Unit -its quick!
One Hyd.pump unit runs both of our trim diverter units on our Dual 7" impeller Drive unit. We are working on a port system to combine the same pump with a lid lift system.

froggystyle
06-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by AGGRESSOR JETS:
Trim Diverter was designed by Berkeley 35+ years ago and called a "jet o vater"
Place has a Patent for a ride plate surface with no outlet surface below the ride plate.
I stand corrected. But I never called it a Jet-O-Vater!!!!
Place did design the action of the diverter after the steering, right?

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-12-2002, 10:43 AM
I stand corrected. But I never called it a Jet-O-Vater!!!!
Place did design the action of the diverter after the steering, right?
Not sure how its spelled- From what I can see, Place- Patent his Bottom surface (ride plate & no exit port below the bottom)Up graded the looks, fit it to most pumps, went to Hyd-s vs elect, and hit the market with a quality product for a verity of pumps.Did a Good Job. Eddie Marine was making a Elect type unit for those that want a slower action on trim- Eddie said the elect was still in demand and came out with his own- Not sure if its still available. Dave

Licketty Split
06-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Dave what kind of price break can you give us on your unit?
I Dont Want to Start a Pissing Match Everyone
Froggy much respect for all your work dude, I think its cool that you took the time to do this for all of us
Squirts up to the Frog http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/winking/winking08.gif

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Licketty Split:
Dave what kind of price break can you
Squirts up to the Frog http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/winking/winking08.gif Volumn Price
Discounts are made by the dealer. We can't make them or we are cutting the dealer off who can't compete with us. I have seen several dealers work on this. You must understand- Some of you don't know when you are getting a good buy.
I Looked at the prices to you- Now I am watching your source do the after dance on delivery. There can not be $50.00 in the deal before shipping. Any Dealer that would take this kind of margin will not be here next year. Simple- $ Cost + %Margin + Ship cost= Sell Price. Some people think this rule can be broken for volumn and go BK every year trying.
I say Price your dealer- "Know who he is"-"In the case you might have a warrenty problem you have a Dealer over & above the manufacture to stand behind you"
- Make your deal under the above rules or gamble someone is there to help you in the End. I know this is not what you want to here but it is fact. Dave