PDA

View Full Version : LOTO vs Grand

Seadog
01-09-2003, 02:27 PM
I have been twiddling my thumbs for the past couple days waiting on a technician to install my DSL. Because of this no show, I'm not able to get started on anything that I can't finish immediately. I have seen lots of reference to the Lake of the Ozarks and got to wondering. I did some research and found that Lake of the Ozarks is slightly smaller than Grand as to shoreline and acreage. Now I know that Grand is so popular that people from across the nation keep yachts there. What about LOTO. argue Let's hear some opinions about the two lakes, pro/con.

Wizard of Oz
01-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Been boating LOTO for several years now. I always manage to have a great time there. The locals are quite freindly (dock girls, waiters, waitresses, etc....). Party Cove is nuts on a holiday weekend. Something to see if you've never seen 2-3000 boats all tied up in one area.
Never been to Grand so I can't make a direct comparison.
Oz

Sea Esta
01-14-2003, 05:44 AM
Here is a pic from july 4th last year at Party Cove. I've never been to Grand but LOTO has approx. 1200 miles of shoreline and dam to dam is 96 miles. Lake is calm during the week and can get quite busy on weekends from the 31MM to the dam. :D
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Avatars/tn_july4_party-cove.JPG

TFLB
01-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Seadog,
No comparison, LOTO has in excess of 100 bars and resturants and resorts. The world famous "partycove" and more shore line than the coast of California, not to mention the largest collection of offshore boats assembled in one place.
On a holiday weekend the Missouri Water patrol estimates over 40,000 boats on the lake.
Are you coming to Overland Park to the LOTO dealers boat show?
WAR-Jayhawks
WAR-hog pens by the Holiday Inn
WAR-Eskimo Joe's
UNWAR-Dragon Slayer (skanky strippers)

Mn Howard Cat
01-15-2003, 08:18 AM
The only donw side to LOTO is on big weekends it can get ripped up something bad 4' to 5'+ my littel cat gets rocked in big water. :) :)
And lots of BEADS :)

D-BO
01-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Both lakes are fun!! Grand Lake isn't as rough but it's not as clean either! Our home lake is Grand but we make it to LOTO a couple of times a year!! The last time we were at LOTO the water was so rough that my buddy ended up blowing a drive up on his Cig.! He couldn't keep the drives in the water!! We can usually run wide open on Grand, even on a holiday. (keeping safety in mind!!)I think both lakes are equally as fun.

Seadog
01-15-2003, 01:37 PM
No comparison, LOTO has in excess of 100 bars and resturants and resorts. The world famous "partycove" and more shore line than the coast of California, not to mention the largest collection of offshore boats assembled in one place.
I doubt I'll make any trips to Overland Park soon. My wife's only brother lived in Roeland and died last year, unexpectedly. The sisters have had a hard time adjusting.
I have a feeling that Grand has more bars, restaurants and resorts than LOTO. Grand definitely has more shoreline and possibly more surface area. I wonder about what you mean as offshore boats. If you refering to OS racers, possibly. We have quite a few Cigarettes, Bajas and Formulas, but the main bigger boats are Carvers, Trojans and Harbor Master. In fact, Ugly's is the biggest Carver dealer in the world. It would be interesting to see how much difference there is in LOTOs party cove and Dripping Springs. Maybe D-BO can give some details.

TFLB
01-16-2003, 06:38 AM
I can't imagine Grand having more bars and returants that LOTO. The lake is 98 miles long and the Lake covers 57,000 acres, impounds 617 billion gallons of water and has 1375 miles of cove indented shoreline. That is more shore line than the entire coast of Califorina. (cali is big).
When I say offshore boats I'm talkin: Fountains, Cigs, Outerlimits, Skaters, Scizm's, Black Thunder, Super Hawaii, Sunsation, Formula, Baja, Active Thunder, Magic, Checkmate.....etc.
There are 65ft cruisers everywhere. Raymond's Boats is the number 1 fountain dealer in the world. I might be a little biased, but it is like no place in the world.
Grand does have 1300 miles of shore and is 43,500 acres, that's a great lake and I hope to get back there some day. i haven't been since I was a kid.
I will probably go to Euffala (sp?) for the poker run this year. Do you go there?

D-BO
01-16-2003, 02:47 PM
LOTO does have more performance boats than Grand, but Grand is getting more and more every year. I don't know about bars though, the only one we've ever gone to is Shooters, and at Grand we go to 3 or 4 different ones. The parties at LOTO are more wild but with that comes more carelessness. The last time we were at Party Cove they were pulling almost every boat leaving over checking for drunk drivers, I have yet to see this at Grand. The lakes are very similair. It doesn't matter which lake you choose, your bound to have fun!! Give us a call and come hang out with us this summer, we definatly know how to have a good time!!

Seadog
01-16-2003, 06:47 PM
D-BO, just out of curiousity, what eateries do like with water access? We generally hit Indian Hills for breakfast or lunch because we spend a lot of time behind the Bernice bridge. We also hit VIP when in that area. We've been interested in checking out some other places.

wowchad
01-16-2003, 06:48 PM
O.K. a bunch of us are looking to go south this spring for some guys only foolishness to escape the WI cold.
I'm talking early.
Both these places sound like fun, where are they, how early can we hit 'em, and which one is less RED!?!

D-BO
01-16-2003, 08:25 PM
One of our favorates is Ugley's! We usually grab a bite to eat on our way home from dripping. It's really nice, just right across the lake from dripping in the back of Duck Creek! It's also the local Cigarette dealer so you have some cool boats to look at while you eat! The last tome we ate at Ozzies the food was cold and it took forever to get it, and they weren't even busy. We do alot of our own BBQ's at my buddies lake house also.

Seadog
01-17-2003, 06:03 AM
Wowchad: The main restrictions on Grand in spring is the wind. If you want to make a trip, keep an eye on the weather forecast. The weather is good enough for dedicated boating year round, if the wind is calm enough. For perfect weather, Okie style, the first week of August is usually excellent.
D-BO: Ever have a Tootie's? I don't think you can really be called a Grand Laker without eating a Tootie's sandwich. I've been by Ugly's on the water only a few times when the traffic was lighter than normal.

wowchad
01-17-2003, 07:24 AM
O.K. I found Grand on the map, it's too far for us to travel from Milowaukee.
So where's something a little closer that's "hot" in say April or May?

D-BO
01-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Where in the hell is Tooties?? To be honest, I've only been going to Grand for about 4 years. I've grown up on Table Rock lake, but the party is kinda slow down there!!All of my buddies have grown up on Grand so that's kind of why I switched.

Seadog
01-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Tootie's is on Hwy 85 south of Cleora, where the road jogs west to go around Duck Creek. There are two gas station at the turn. The old one on the north is Tootie's. The locals and fishermen often make a big effort to get their sandwiches there for a day on the lake. Few people can finish one at a single setting. I had a BIL that lived at El Cabo and we got sandwiches there often. He moved to Afton and I now alternate between an aunt's campground/cove on Horse/Fly Creek and another BIL at Dinosaur Point near Woodward Hollow. If you are around the Ghost Bridge and see a green pontoon, my name ( Seadog ) is on the back. :)
[ January 17, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

D-BO
01-17-2003, 09:40 AM
We'll have to meet up, if you see a white, purple, and lime green cig, or a 29ft red and yellow scarab, or an all yellow 42ft Apachee cat then you've found us. We usually meet somewhere between #10 and Honey Creek and spend the day at Woodard or Dripping. Sometimes we go up into Elk River and race, we also have a couple of fast little 20 footers!!

RebarBox
01-18-2003, 06:22 PM
"Grand" is better! Well, I do live there which might influence on my opinion! LOTO (Party Cove)is a great time with a bunch of guys, but I don't really see taking the wife there......and having a good time....too many tits!......too many "What are you looking at?'s" from her.
Now Dripping Spring, good time, good people, good beer and not to shabby views, thought not naked views!
Need more info, check out the only 'Drip' website.
www.gldrippingsprings.com (http://www.gldrippingsprings.com)
Rebarbox
<a href="http://www.gldrippingsprings.com" target="_blank">
Grand Lake - Dripping Springs</a>

Seadog
01-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Well, I got curious and did a little research. Amazing how many sites devoted to Grand. It is official that there are thirty restaurants with lake access. At least accord to Grand Lake! Magazine. Apparently tho, LOTO has 45, so points to LOTO.
RebarBox: cool site, added to favorites.
[ January 19, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

kc***boat
01-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Spend most of my time at the Ozarks. I have been to grand lake several times and the reason we went was to get away from the crowds. Not to many places to go out to at night on the water. Dripping springs was fun but not even close to party cove.

tstone
01-29-2003, 08:22 PM
I went to Beaver Lake last year :D but can't decide between LOTO or Grand for this year. Does anyone know any good links to some lake front rentals for either one? Grand has been great in the past but I would really like to see the party in LOTO.

Seadog
01-30-2003, 06:11 AM
Try this site
Grand Lake Fun (http://www.grandlakefun.com) There are others, but this should be a good start.

TFLB
01-30-2003, 05:05 PM
www.funlake.com (http://www.funlake.com) is one of many, many LOTO sites

tstone
01-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys they are both great links. Looks like I may have to make two trips. A family trip to Grand a get away weekend to LOTO. How about them Pokes?

Seadog
01-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Pray for a miracle win against Texas. :D

tstone
02-02-2003, 11:25 AM
It would have been a nice win, but they're still having a great season. :) Most of my family has attended O State or OU, but now that I'm transplanted my daughter will be going to KU. I geuss that will just make me a big 12 fan.

Seadog
02-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I grew up 15 miles from K State, but after going to school at OSU and then to work for them, my allegance is assured.

buck183
02-02-2003, 07:51 PM
OK....first post. Hope I don't offend.
We frequent both lakes about 2-3 times a year each.
Grand dislikes.....dirty water, rough, nudity at dripping springs NOT allowed.
Grand likes....big boats, more restaurants then the lake I frequent, more to see.
LOTO dislikes.....rough water. That's it.
LOTO likes....more night life, even more eats and clubs, party cove, nudity allowed, anything goes as long as driver is clean, more performance boats than Grand.
Having spent time on both I would give an easy nod to LOTO for overall enjoyability. Don't have to worry as much about water patrol harrasing you. Party Cove blows Dripping Springs out of the water hands down. There's actually a cove at Tenkiller that has better partying than Dripping Springs lately. LOTO is alive 24-7 in the summer.
Buck

tstone
02-13-2003, 07:40 PM
All right, that does it. I've heard all the stories about LOTO and I'm definitely going to check it out this summer. Pretty bad that I went to Havasu last summer and still haven't made it to LOTO. Any comparisons between those two places?

Sea Esta
02-13-2003, 08:09 PM
If you are going for Party Cove you wont be disappointed....Nothing like it... :D

kc***boat
02-14-2003, 02:42 PM
tstone:
All right, that does it. I've heard all the stories about LOTO and I'm definitely going to check it out this summer. Pretty bad that I went to Havasu last summer and still haven't made it to LOTO. Any comparisons between those two places? More places to go to at LOTO and only 2 1/2 hours away. What lake do you boat at around KC

Lotoparty
02-14-2003, 03:32 PM
well guess my screen name says it all but if you dont beleave me follow the link. :D
http://www.partycovepics.com/xxxpics.html

tstone
02-15-2003, 09:16 AM
NICE LINK :D planning a trip for mid-to-late June. KC I live in Olathe as well. So far I've hit Hillsdale, Clinton and Smithville (MO). How about you? Is there a gem around here I'm missing? I'm originally from Okla. so I'm used to Texoma, Eufaula, Murray, Grand.

Seadog
02-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Milford and Tuttle Creek are nice lakes or at least they were a while back, but no closer to KC than LOTO. At Grand, some of the Dripping Springs crowd has moved to Woodward Hollow. As far as the nudity, I like to go to places that I can take my young nieces or nephews. Besides, if you go with your wife, she gets pissed if you look and if you go with other guys you are a bunch of old perverts. Since most of the nudity would be long distance, I can't see that as much of a drawing point.

Lotoparty
02-15-2003, 10:26 AM
all razzing aside , i like both lakes.
party cove gets old after awhile because it gets kinda crazy at times with the mostly younger then myself crowd. the water(soup) you have to fight thru to get there sucks bigtime on holiday weekends.
grand is a pretty lake and i will always have fond memorys of it because i bought my first boat there from Port Carlos.

beyondhelpin
02-15-2003, 06:58 PM
not a party lake but for clear water and beautiful scenery try beaver in the ozarks.

tstone
02-16-2003, 10:01 AM
I would have to agree. We went to Beaver on our way back form Havasu last year. Beautiful lake no crowds. The ONLY drawback we experienced was we got to the cabin we rented then went on a beer run. Didn't realize that it was a dry county. :( Needless to say after a two hour drive we came back with plenty of beer and it wasn't a problem after that. We learned to make sure we haul it with us when we go there. :)

buck183
02-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Beaver is our home lake. You guys are correct, not a prettier lake in the area. Of course this wouldn't include Bull Shoals or Table Rock. The dry county thing is kind of a bummer sometimes. And there's not much action on the lake either. But I'll still spend 90% of my summer there.
Other then the occasional trip to Tenkiller and Grand the other 10% will be LOTO!
Buck

Lotoparty
02-16-2003, 08:46 PM
took my first open water dive at beaver when i was 17 yrs old. beautifull lake yaa got down there buck!

Bigyellowcat
02-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Who knows some of the rules of loto?
I plan on comming up there this year.
When does it get busy?

kc***boat
02-17-2003, 08:24 AM
tstone:
NICE LINK :D planning a trip for mid-to-late June. KC I live in Olathe as well. So far I've hit Hillsdale, Clinton and Smithville (MO). How about you? Is there a gem around here I'm missing? I'm originally from Okla. so I'm used to Texoma, Eufaula, Murray, Grand. You should try Perry lake. I use to go out to Smithville but prefer to avoid all the water patrol and a noise ticket.

Posey
02-18-2003, 02:21 PM
I don't get on here to much but its good to see guys talking about good 'ol grand lake. I've done a lot of partying there, especially at Woodard Hollow. Everything you said is true but its home! I'm like everybody else I like to try different lakes but never tried Loto. I've bought a couple of boats up there but thats about it. I'd like to party with you guys sometime, maybe I'll see ya.
Posey :D

Seadog
02-19-2003, 09:43 AM
Posey, my BIL has a dock at Dinosaur Point so I intend to be there as much as possible. If anyone sees my toon parked there, be sure to say hi.

Posey
02-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Seadog,
I guess I'm not familiar with Dinosaur Point. Tell me where thats at. Tell me about your 'tooner so I can look for it. Home for me is the Elk river arm, Lakewood village.
Posey

Seadog
02-19-2003, 02:02 PM
If you get the new Grand color map, it will show Dinosaur point. When you are going into Woodward Hollow, there is a large cove that is no wake zone to the right. At the end, it forks into two small coves. At the long point between the two is a green metal dinosaur sculpture. My Crestliner is green and cream with Seadog on the back. My BIL has a double dock with a Bayliner 26' cruiser in the open dock.

buck183
02-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Bigyellowcat:
Who knows some of the rules of loto?
I plan on comming up there this year.
When does it get busy? The rules of the lake as I know them are pretty simple.
30mph speed limit at night.
No riders in the bow of a bowrider while boat is on plane.
No riders on the Sunpad while the boat is on plane.
There are some funky weekend/holiday only no wake zones that I still haven't figured out.
And, ANYTHING goes!!!....as long as the operator of the boat is clean.
Buck