PDA

View Full Version : Any jet boaters in North Carolina?

Jetpilot
09-13-2002, 04:55 PM
I moved down here from Ohio and left behind my boating buddies. I'm looking for some jetters but I havent seen any so far. Of course its hard to boat on a mud puddle with this drought and all! :mad:

wideopen545
09-13-2002, 06:31 PM
glad to have you posting on the boards
we live in roanoke va lots of boaters around also lake anna event in june of 2003 hope to see you their

DaveA
09-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Hey Jetpilot,
There's several on that puddle called High Rock...I've got some names and phone numbers, but I haven't had any dealings with 'em. I'm always looking for v-drive owners and stuff. They used to hold the drags up on Oak Hollow Lake on the north side of High Point on Hwy 68 until the last year or so... don't know why they don't anymore.
I'm on Lake Norman below Statesville, and we've got water, but it's now down low enuf that I can't get off the lift. My bro/in/law hasn't been able to get his Baja Outlaw 25 off his since mid August!
Let me know if you want to get ahold of any jetters down on the High Rock/Badin/Tillery chain, and I'll go get out my notes...
DaveA

Moomawnster
09-14-2002, 11:38 PM
From what I heard the Oak Hollow drags were cancelled because the IHBA had a power struggle with the High Point Boosters and walked .... things seemed kinda greedy when I was there ... marketing maggots can ruin anything !

Jetpilot
09-15-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I've been on Belews Creek Lake a couple times this summer but I have yet to see any kind of performance boats around. Just thought it would be fun to meet some new performance boaters in the area. I was fortunate to catch the Oak Hollow drags in 1999 & 2000 while visiting the area. Great racing to watch! I was really disappointed when they cancelled them this year.

sleekcraft76
09-15-2002, 03:51 PM
HI
Thier is a few of us jet boaters hear in raleigh
we boat mostely on jorden lake just west of apex n.c.

76 Sleekcraft
09-16-2002, 04:00 AM
Lets see, Thomasville, hummm, Wait a minute, I'm in Thomasville!!! As small as tatertown is, its a wonder we have not seen each other. :D

promod
09-16-2002, 05:04 PM
finally getting it together as soon as it gets back from paintshop, it is a blown aclcohol jet for next season!! eek!

DaveA
09-16-2002, 06:29 PM
There's a guy I talked to a while back that lives in Apex that has an 18' Raysoncraft v-drive. I think he owns a transmission shop or something. If he still has it, he runs on Jordan. I believe he has or did have zoomies on it, too.
Ring a bell, anybody?
BTW, sleekcraft 76, I used to live in Cary when it was about 3-4000 people. I heard that Cary now stands for "Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees"...any truth to that? LOL!
DaveA
Raysoncrafter

Jetpilot
09-17-2002, 09:35 AM
76 Sleekcraft, it is a wonder we havent seen each other. I'll have to look you up!
Again, thanks guys for all the info. I'd really like to meet up with any of you on a lake somewhere. Are there any annual regatta's on the lakes? A friend of mine in Ohio started one 3 years ago for performance boats in general and every year it gets bigger. Just wondered if there was anything like that down here.

sleekcraft76
09-17-2002, 02:42 PM
DAVEA Yes it is the truth

stump
09-18-2002, 03:29 AM
I'm down here at lake norman ,Have a mandella v -drive .The lake gets busy on weekends but weekday afternoons when work gets done early have been fun.I've been wanting to check out some other places to go and have been wondering if ya'll have any problems with noise from your exhaust's.Some kind of a meet would be a fun time Maby camping on the shore of some lake and a little ***boat'in ,and partying !hell yeah i'm game.stump

Old school jetter
09-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Charlotte here, originally S Calif...
Rarely see any jets on the lakes around here, at least I havent anyway. I am near Wylie right now, but will hopefully get time on Norman soon. No boat with me here yet, still in Calif.
What do you guys run here ? Hulls/Motors/Pumps...etc....

78Eliminator
09-18-2002, 03:08 PM
hey

wideopen545
09-18-2002, 04:40 PM
hey promod hows it going did you get to use that lifeline vest yet hope ive got the right person hows the boat comming

promod
09-19-2002, 03:27 AM
what's up wideopen545 jacket will be worn next season for sure the boat is being prepped for paint, the motor i have about got it together,
it is a blown 496 on alcohol with injection
hope hp will be around 1200 to start of with then get the fill of, will make it nexy year to lake anna with my new baby on fathers day should be born around christmas, anyway the sunkisst will be blown in a couple of more weeks, that boat weighs 485lbs empty i thought pretty good for a tunnel, been working on this thing all year, trying to do everything it needs before it flys,
made it into a full stringer boat, anyway give me a call sometime, home number is 919-639-7457. i still have yours somewhere at the house. thanks tim :D

promod
09-19-2002, 03:29 AM
promod is from angier 20 min south of Raleigh NC eek!

MarKist
09-25-2002, 06:33 PM
Jetpilot:
I moved down here from Ohio and left behind my boating buddies. I'm looking for some jetters but I havent seen any so far. Of course its hard to boat on a mud puddle with this drought and all! :mad:

MarKist
09-25-2002, 06:42 PM
Hey, I was at Mtn. Island Lake labor day and their where 12-15 jet boats there Its located between Lake Norman and Lake Wylie .So yes there's jet boats around!!! WELCOME TO N.C.

DaveA
09-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Hey MarKist-
Do you go boatin' on Norman at all? What are you running? Just curious.
I try to keep track of the v-drives in the area as best I can. Do you know Randy at New Hope Marine?
DaveA
Lake Norman/Mooresville

MarKist
09-30-2002, 04:08 PM
hey Dave,
I haven't took my boat to norman but I probly
will next year (SPRING)I have a 79 Sunkist W/
berkeley JG W/jet o vator (468 BBC)I don't know
Randy I know Randy Jr. at Dixieland marine in
Newton that's who I bought my boat from! So your
a V drive man ? I like v drives too but I prefere
jets!!KEEP IN TOUCH MAYBE WE CAN RACE ONE DAY!!
HEE HEE HA HA !!!
LATER,
MARK

DaveA
10-02-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey MarKist,
I've got a long way to go before I can dust your jet with my v-drive....! :D :D Gotta lotta work to do!
Come on up to Norman, there's getting to be more jets on this lake. Neighbor has an old Ford powered Baker he runs occasionally up here on the north end. Another guy around here has one that he loves to run by Stumpy Creek access area with the Rooster Booster cranked all the way up. Looks like a fire boat on the East River in NYC going by... :rolleyes:
Promod has a Sunkist over just south of Raleigh. He's put full length stringers in it and is building a drag motor for it. He's on this board- give him a jingle. From what he says he's building, I doubt it's a jet anybody around here would mess with!
DaveA

Old school jetter
10-03-2002, 06:23 AM
Hello to all....
Just a curiousity question for now. Is there anyone from the Charlotte area planning on getting out the next few weekends ? Have been here for a couple of years without a boat, need a ride/fix if anyone is willing....lol. Withdrawals are killing me !!!!! Now that I know there are a few "real" boaters around, lets get hooked up....

promod
10-03-2002, 12:37 PM
whats going on DAVE A just keeping you informed nothing happening around here expect working on teh boat still probably be together sometime around christmas or sometime after i"ll shoot some pics after it gets sprayed 8 color paint scheme to be layed.
later dave haven't got your business cards yet
thanks
grant eek!

DaveA
10-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey Promod!
Wifey put that stuff in the mail last nite...Thanks for the interest. Nuthin' much happening around here, either. Lake's still too low to slide the boat off the lift, and until we get a couple of direct hits from some hurricane we're still gonna be low next summer. Yea, the cure may be worse than the disease- just ask them down in Louisiana. eek!
I'm going to get the shop rearranged to try to get the Raysoncraft in there some this fall and finish getting the bottom plywood hacked out of it. That's easier to do in cool weather because I can suit up to keep the 'glass dust out and not have a "sauna suit overdose"...
DaveA

DaveA
10-05-2002, 07:14 PM
Hey Old School Jetter,
What kind of boat did you have to leave behind in SoCal? We'll have to put you in touch with some jetters around here, tho I haven't met too many of them. There's an ole LAX area auto racer I know on the west side of Norman that's got a 455 Olds Tahiti that he's owned for the last 20+ years. I tried to coax him to get it wet a couple of months ago, but haven't been back by to see if he did or not.
How did you end up in Charlotte?? I'm up close to the Lake Norman International Airport :D :D ...I mean, Airpark, off Hwy 150, but I'm in south Charlotte weekly.
DaveA
DaveA

Old school jetter
10-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Hey Dave....
Good to hear from you. Its a '75 Liberty (19ft), BBC, Berk, its a former circle racing hull somewhat converted to a ski boat. Hopefully I will have it here with me soon. Also working on another former racing hull (it belonged to my father who is an ex racer from the 70's) that I am working on getting my hands on as well....its a one of a kind Saguaro hull, very unique to say the least. It was recently found stored away in a garage in the desert of Calif. Anyway...
How did I end up here ? I ask myself that from time to time....lol....just kidding, it seems like a very nice area, no complaints. I transferred here with my work, the opportunity presented itself and I accepted. Isnt that how most end up here ? I have meet very few that are actually from here, seems most are from elsewhere.
Hopefully several of us will be able to hook up and get together soon. Whether out on the water playing or sitting around bench racing with each other....lol. Would be great to get something organized like other places do, have jets and v-drives come for all over to join us !!!

DaveA
10-09-2002, 05:10 PM
OSJ,
Thanks for the reply.
Interesting. Alot of guys have dads that are old racers- mine was into NASCAR GN Modifieds, outboard runabouts (Kiekaefers and 13' hulls) and restoring antique/classic racing airplanes! But can most of us get away with that kind of lifestyle today? Takes more $$ than most of us can make, and then an unusually cooperatively spouse.
OK on the Liberty- heard of it, and I hope you can get your hands on the Saguaro hull- everyone needs a project! Once you have it here, you'll have quite a few lakes to choose from...if we'd only get some rain.
I'm a native- what a minority! Father was originally from Monroe, and we grew up in the Greensboro/High Point area. Been weekending and hanging around on Lake Norman since 1967, finally got rid of the old weekend house trailer and built a house, living here full time since 1992/93. I did, as you did, take a job transfer- went to Wichita KS for a few years- that was an eye-opener, but since I'm into aviation bigtime, I thought, go ahead and throw me into that briar patch! Returned to the Tarheel State after 7 years.
So the breezes of autumn have started- I hate it. If I move from NC, it's gonna be somewhere there's spring/summer 12 months a year :D Havasu?? :cool:
We'll need to get these hot boaters around here together next spring somehow. It CAN be done!
DaveA

004 southwind
10-11-2002, 02:18 PM
It is nice to know there is more jets in the area. I will be working this winter to try and put the boat back together. In order to meet some people with the same interest.
[ October 11, 2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: 004 southwind ]

DaveA
10-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Hey Southwind,
Are you on the lake or nearby? Just wondering- I'm near the airport.
DaveA

Rayhill
10-12-2002, 05:19 AM
I saw an article in Hot Boat a long time ago about a get together called the "Outlaw" something or other ??? Where is it usually held at. I thought it was at Lake Norman. I could never find anymore info. about it.
KB

004 southwind
10-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Dave, I live off williamson, between the lake and brawley school.

DaveA
10-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Southwind,
Kool...You're not far from me at all! I guess you're off Sunset somewhere then. We've got some close friends down in there. Drop me an email sometime. I try to check it every few days!
Rayhill-
The get-together you're thinking about is probably the one on Lake Murray down near Columbia SC. They have one big-time throw-down ***boat bash down there in either April or May. I've never been, but know a few that have.
As big as Lake Norman is, no one has been able to get anything more exciting and faster than a sailboat regatta going on here. Oh, you CAN count the fishing tournaments with the 90mph bass boats all leaving at once. Impressive sight as long as you're not in the way!

Rayhill
10-15-2002, 01:33 AM
I live on Fort Loudon Lake, or Fort Searay lake! :o
This is what I hear:
"Performance boats just do not sell in this area"
"So you are the one with that dam loud boat!"
"If it aint a bassboat its a waste of fiberglass!"
:rolleyes:

DaveA
10-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Rayhill,
If they complain about your glorious noise, then tell 'em "Why do you think they named this lake Loud-On?" :p

Rayhill
10-17-2002, 01:52 AM
Hey ! I like that one!!! :D

Old school jetter
10-17-2002, 06:33 AM
Hey again all......
Anybody getting out this weekend around the Charlotte area ? Are the ramps even opened back up yet ?

DaveA
10-17-2002, 06:48 PM
I looked at the dock this AM and it looks like there's about 6 inches more water, maybe. I've seen guys going in and out of Pinnacle Access Area up on NC 150 today w/bass boats, so there's hope.
The South Fork river over at Spencer Mtn in Gaston County was full and moving fast this afternoon, too.
I'll be out of town this weekend; maybe Stumpy's up to getting the Mandella out for a spin in the cool crisp October air! :D
DaveA

Jet Novice
10-18-2002, 10:17 AM
DaveA, I think I met you at the Auto Fair in the spring. If not it was another guy into v-drives that lived on Lake Norman. I live a few houses away from 004southwind on Sundown. Putting together a 76 Hawaiian, hopefully will have it going for next season.