PDA

View Full Version : SPEED LIMIT ALERT!!!

SHARKEYMARINE
12-19-2002, 03:16 AM
To All NJ boaters and anyone that vacations in NEW JERSEY, We need your help on January 8th in Trenton, NJ for a meeting where they are pushing to pass a SPEED LIMIT on NJ's waterways. Here is a LINK for articles and letters in regards to this matter. http://pages.zdnet.com/sharkeymarine/sharkey/id30.html

HammerDown
12-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Hmmmm, lets see, I boat the Delaware River, Pa. on one side, NJ. on the other. How will that work?
The DVBRc have a 1/4 mile test track set-up in NJ...that will bite the BigOne for sure if they start patrolling those waters.

Nova ST
12-19-2002, 08:49 AM
If I’m not mistaken, the NJ State Police has jurisdiction over all of the Delaware river. A 30-mph speed limit would certainly suck! My boat has a minimum planing speed of 30 to 35 mph (drives in, tabs down, big wake). I guess we will be spending more time down in the Chesapeake Bay.

HammerDown
12-19-2002, 11:43 AM
Nova...now with your brother having a bigger boat...I'm just leaving mine home!

Rod-64
12-20-2002, 01:12 PM
As the toll booth capital of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if they put toll booths in your no-wake zones!!! :D

Sked
12-20-2002, 01:35 PM
DAMN DEMOCRATS! NEXT THEY'LL WANT TO PASS A "SMART BOAT" LAW.

SHARKEYMARINE
01-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Meeting is today @ 10:00am in Trenton. Need info, use the Link: Speed Updates (http://pages.zdnet.com/sharkeymarine/sharkey/id30.html)

SHARKEYMARINE
01-10-2003, 03:44 PM
You can read up on the SLAM DUNK that happened @ the meeting here: SPEED UPDATES (http://pages.zdnet.com/sharkeymarine/sharkey/id30.html) wink
[ January 10, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: SHARKEYMARINE ]

Wet Dream
01-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Congratulations on the victory. I hope you had the turn out you were expecting. Sounds like it went well and had plenty of support.

SHARKEYMARINE
01-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Thank you WD. These meetings are usually attended with about 4 or 5 people in the audience. We had 100 plus that day. We had enough to get our point across... wink

SHARKEYMARINE
03-06-2003, 08:35 PM
March 5th's Meeting Results! Not Good!!!
Anyone using the Manasquan, Metedeconk, Toms River and portions of the Barnegat Bay better get ready to lobby!!! The commission has decided to blanket all these areas as SLOW SPEED NO WAKE ZONES!!! This is exactly the opposite of what they stated in the their meeting in January. They dropped the proposed Speed Limit idea only to turn around and try to make everything a Slow Speed No Wake Zone!!! This just proves even more that this is all about Sailboats getting to have the waterways for themselves... I have created a SPEED UPDATE page on my site to keep everyone informed. If this is the first you heard of the Speed Limit proposal, be sure to click onto the archives to see what has been happening. Please spread the word to everyone this will effect: Marina and Restuarant owners at the end of these rivers, Fishing boats, Performance boats, Jet Skis, WaveRunners, Waterskiers, etc. If this goes through, then it will only expand to other areas in the state. Thank you for your support.

Moomawnster
03-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Sonofabitch !...... and politicians STILL don't understand why we hate them .It sounds like they gonna do whatever they want in spite of public opinion ! GO GET EM ! eek! argue

Wet Dream
03-09-2003, 06:19 AM
I was afraid this was going to come back up. Hey Shark, just being my cynnical self...but how would the sailboaters feel if the performance boaters shut down a critical waterway that had a minimum speedlimit? Say 50mph, or kts in their terms? Just ask for a small 1/4 mile CRUCIAL stretch and any boat that cannot travel at that speed will be fined. Sorry, just makes you want to slap those people.

SHARKEYMARINE
05-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Oh Buoy!!! No Wakes Zones Reduced!!!
Although there may be a few new zones out in the Barnegat Bay, it is not nearly as much as the NJ Boating Commission wanted. Originally the Commission wanted 13 miles of new zones added to the area. But thanks to our fine friends from the NJ State Police, they didn't feel the need. They reduced it to 1 1/2 miles. Apparently, the NJSMP had the final say, and they wanted to see it to be fair and safe for all boaters. I have posted some of the areas on a chart on the Speed Updates page. To make things clear about Silver Bay. 3 buoys are being added to the Anchorage area only just north of Cattus Island. It will not affect the main channel of Silver Bay.
As far as Toms River, 2 zones are being placed, one each in front of the Island Heights and Toms River Yacht Clubs. Again, no affect on the main channel according to the State Marine Police. These are more or less reminders that you are approaching a marina and to slow down to no wake.
The Metedeconk Yacht Club will also see a No Wake Barrel placed in front of it, but again, as long as you run on the North side of the Metedeconk, it will not effect the main channel.
See the updates for the latest from May 7th's BRC meeting: Speed Limit Updates (http://www.sharkeymarine.com)