PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer

nodigg
10-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Just found out a friend of mine who grew up in the Phoenix sun and later had a cancerous spot removed from his foot (years ago) passed away last night from complications of Melanoma. He left a wife and two young kids behind.
I don't mean to bring all of you down and I am as guilty as anyone of not taking care of myself when it comes to sun protection.
BUT TRUST ME ON THIS, USE THE SUNSCREEN!
Stick around to party with your grandkids.
You are missed Seth!

mbrown2
10-14-2002, 08:35 PM
Nodigg,
Sorry to hear the news; always tough to lose someone...my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Gotta be down with sunscreen.

RiverKitty
10-14-2002, 08:47 PM
Nodigg,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
Sending my heartfelt condolences to you as well as his family.
Sincerely,
~RK

DogHouse
10-14-2002, 09:30 PM
Nodigg,
I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. It truly pains me to think of a young family left behind to face life without the love and support of their father. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family tonight.
And yes, good call on the sunscreen. On my boat we go through 3-4 of the big bottles of SPF 45 every season.
-brian

Livin Large 27Hallett
10-15-2002, 06:03 AM
Nodigg,
Sorry to hear of the loss of a freind. I am like RiverDave, hardly ever wear the screen and am told by all that I should be. Maybe they are right.

AZKC
10-15-2002, 06:26 AM
Cant take this stuff to lightly, I'm going in next month for 3 spots on my face that are cancerous, no biggie but the stuff sneaks around in you and bang!! crap like that happens. Wear that SPF 30 and keep a hat on...
KC

nodigg
10-15-2002, 06:07 PM
I hear ya' on sneakin' around inside you and then BAM! frown

JetBoatRich
10-15-2002, 06:09 PM
Livin Large 27Hallett:
Nodigg,
Sorry to hear of the loss of a freind. I am like RiverDave, hardly ever wear the screen and am told by all that I should be. Maybe they are right.John you have to wear something, you saw what heppened to Tim!

nodigg
10-15-2002, 06:13 PM
So, what is Tim's story?

JetBoatRich
10-15-2002, 06:18 PM
It messed his skin up pretty bad, grew up in Blythe.

nodigg
10-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Hopefully it won't sneak up on him in some other form in another part of his body like my friends did. (Brain Tumor)

XTRM22
10-15-2002, 07:36 PM
My sincere condolences to your friends family. One of my good friends had the same scenario, and the good fortune to survive the brain surgery and ensuing chemotherapy. Ever since that bad scare, his son has been a nephew to me, it makes you realize the importance of sunscreen and wise protection, and also the value of "the moment". While my pal is never on this board, some of you either know him or heard of him, "Rapid" Ritchie Mclaughlin, raced a Cole Flat "In-Cole-herrant" to NJBA hi-points championship in the early 80's.
my prayers to you and your friend's family.
Chuck

Kurtis500
10-15-2002, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear about that. My friend just died 1 1/2 months ago from cancer.
Anyone living in Phoenix should be aware that its the skin cancer capitol of the US(most cases per capita). Other places like it are no better.
Heres what I do, and sometimes I forget but I do try hard to remember. I keep a small tube of oderless spf30 next to my hair gel in the bathroom. After a shower, I just put it on the ears and nose real quick and off I go. I know I'm not your mother, but putting in a place where it can become a daily routine may save your life one day. On top of save you from a hell of a lot of pain and chemo.

nodigg
10-16-2002, 07:57 AM
Like I said, don't mean to bring the mood down but thanks for the stories and condolences guys.
Maybe we will all take a little more care if we are reminded of what we can loose.

hd&boatrider
10-16-2002, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear that Nodigg. I try to use that stuff as much as possible but I am guilty of putting it on the face and not covering arms, legs and back. Did I ever meet your friend?

waterboy
10-16-2002, 12:28 PM
i went just for a check up 3 months ago, they removed seven spots that looked suspicious,called me back 2-weeks later 2 of them were cancerous they had to cut bigger chucks out.they got it all but have to get checked out every 6 months now.by the way use sunscreen and wear a hat.

78Eliminator
10-16-2002, 12:32 PM
You guys are really bumming me out. I am going through something like this right now with a loved one...

RiverKitty
10-16-2002, 12:35 PM
How can you tell if you have skin cancer? Is it obvious?

78Eliminator
10-16-2002, 12:47 PM
RiverKitty:
How can you tell if you have skin cancer? Is it obvious?A sore or blister that wont go away. Multi colored moles or freckles are in the early stages or at least suspect....

waterboy
10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
river kitty, I had moles that looked different(dark around them,changing,other clues 2 but i dont know them),go see a dermatologist,it well worth it.I am only 32 didnt have a clue i had it.

nodigg
10-16-2002, 01:55 PM
HD&boatrider, naw you never met him or his wife.
10-4 on the hat in addtion to screen
Watch out for moles that change size or shape or color

AZKC
10-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Even if you dont think it is a melonoma (sp) get your Doc to have a look at it during your next physical (which we all do every year right?) even you youngsters, its better safe than sorry....
KC

lghtnin33
10-16-2002, 07:32 PM
yes! EVERYONE please wear sunscreen, spf 30 or better. i know for a fact. i had a squamocell carcinoma(melanoma that can spread) cut out of the center of my lower lip 4 yrs. ago. really scared the hell out of me. so i see the effects of the sun everytime i look in the mirror and see that scar. i too never wore sunscreen, ever, in the blazing West Texas sun, thought only the senior citizen types got melanoma. well i just turned 31 in july.I am just lucky I had a great set of doctors, one that knew what he was looking at, and the other how to take it out and put everything back with minimal scaring.*note(dont low bid when it comes to doctors :) ) I am truly sorry to hear about the death of your friend nodigg :( ,i can only imagine, i too have a wife and 2 young children that could have been left behind just like your friend. sorry to all for such a long post, its just that this one knocked on my front door cause ive been there, done that, and am still being checked regularly for irregularities.so to all my boat loving kin out there take it from me, if you have a lesion that shows no sign of healing with in 2 weeks have it checked out and always wear sunblock and spf lip balm it can save your life.

atomrotten
10-16-2002, 07:43 PM
My Condolences to you and his family.
Atom RoTTeN