PDA

View Full Version : Surfs Up (or at least it will be)

Tom Foolery
10-17-2002, 11:47 AM
We could start to see W swell (270-285) from the low north of Hawaii as early as Friday evening, but best on Saturday. That looks good for 3-4-5’ surf at the good spots, slightly bigger at standout locations. Long period WNW swell (290-300+) will arrive from the extra-tropical storm as early as Saturday afternoon, but better Sunday. This has definite potential for overhead surf at the good spots for Sunday. If these two storms interact as forecast, we could see even larger WNW surf for the beginning of next week. Stay tuned.
Its about frickin Time!!
Ok, so I'm a little excited that we will finally be putting an end to this B.S. flat spell we've had going on. It's time to wash the dust off of my boards & have some fun.
I can't be the only one on this board who surfs. I'd guess that Roz surfs from his avatar, but what about the rest of you? Anyone else planning on getting wet this weekend?
I'll be putting in some time in The South Bay on Saturday & Sunday if anyone is in the area & feels like joining me.

ROZ
10-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Looks like I better break out the short gun (7'4")and a wetsuit Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning at Blacks :cool:
[ October 17, 2002, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

ROZ
10-17-2002, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that rivercutie surfs, too.

Tom Foolery
10-17-2002, 02:45 PM
I would have though for sure that with so many guys from So. Cal posting here there would have been a few more on here.
So i'm guessing O-side is your local break if your from San Marcos.

SchellSchock
10-17-2002, 03:47 PM
Checkin Out WindnSea Saturday.

Infomaniac
10-17-2002, 04:16 PM
ROZ:
Looks like I better break out the short gun (7'4")and a wetsuit Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning at Blacks :cool: I thought Blacks was NO SUIT !!
Some serious shrinkage eek!

78Eliminator
10-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Infomaniac:
ROZ:
Looks like I better break out the short gun (7'4")and a wetsuit Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning at Blacks :cool: I thought Blacks was NO SUIT !!
Some serious shrinkage eek! I thought you were an oakie!!??

rivercutie
10-17-2002, 04:48 PM
I love surfing, I think I am the worst one out there but I try and its cheap entertainment for everyone else. I haven't put the wetsuit back on still been sporting the rash guard and suit. It is getting alittle chilly though.

Infomaniac
10-17-2002, 08:22 PM
78Eliminator:
Infomaniac:
ROZ:
Some serious shrinkage eek! I thought you were an oakie!!??I am an Okie. Did some time at NAS Miramar. Lived in Poway. :)

Tom Foolery
10-18-2002, 06:50 AM
Ok, so I'm not the only one who feels a little sad when I'm driving to the river knowing the latest hurricane swell will be filling in over the weekend. :D

Steamin' Rice
10-18-2002, 07:53 AM
I think I'll be surfing between Newport and Long Beach tomorrow...Going to break out my 29' board..... :D

ROZ
10-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Tom Foolery:
So i'm guessing O-side is your local break if your from San Marcos.No, I usually hit Carlsbad breaks ....Terramar/Houses/Warm waters/Cherry St./Elm st.
I also like Trestles middles.
Local places I hit when it's big....Terramar/Seaside /Blacks Beach/ Nautilus st.(La Jolla)........Hard rock reef point breaks.

Tom Foolery
10-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Roz if your interested, one of these days we could do a trade off. You could show me some of the ins & outs of the northern SD area. (I've only been to oceanside, scripps and ponto.) And I could show you the South Bay. With winter coming up, Palos Verdes will start working good & I could show you a few good breaks where the locals aren't really a problem. (unless you've been up there before). Let me know.

kcm21
10-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for keepin us informed Tom. I will be out at Cottons or Trestles tomorrow! Hopefully El Nino will make it a fun winter.
-Kevin-

kphayes
10-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Man, you guys are making me really jealous. I'm from P.B. (home break, Thomas St. just south of the pier) but now I'm stuck out here in IL. It's a wonderful 44 degrees out right now. You guys (and gal) hit the lip a couple of times for me.

Tom Foolery
10-18-2002, 01:30 PM
kphayes:
Man, you guys are making me really jealous. I'm from P.B. (home break, Thomas St. just south of the pier) but now I'm stuck out here in IL. It's a wonderful 44 degrees out right now. You guys (and gal) hit the lip a couple of times for me.Sorry to hear your so far away from the the beach. Do you ever do any Great Lakes surfing?

ROZ
10-18-2002, 02:48 PM
kphayes:
Man, you guys are making me really jealous. I'm from P.B. (home break, Thomas St. just south of the pier) but now I'm stuck out here in IL. It's a wonderful 44 degrees out right now. You guys (and gal) hit the lip a couple of times for me.Dude, I tell ya what. I'll go to my brother-in -law's (Bay side kinda behind the Jack-in-the-crack), pick him up then surf those little waves south of the pier. After were done, well go to Plumb Crazy and have a cold one for ya! :p :D
I'll hit Blacks on my way home. That swell should be working it's mojo around 3pm - sunset! Whoooooohooooo! :cool:

ROZ
10-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Tom Foolery:
Roz if your interested, one of these days we could do a trade off. You could show me some of the ins & outs of the northern SD area. (I've only been to oceanside, scripps and ponto.) And I could show you the South Bay. With winter coming up, Palos Verdes will start working good & I could show you a few good breaks where the locals aren't really a problem. (unless you've been up there before). Let me know.One of these days when my Honey-do list isn't a mile long :( , we'll have to do it! :)
I'm sneakin out for a while as it is http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad73.gif
Sometimes homeownership just flat out sucks.

BAD AZZ BAJA
10-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Damn I wish I was back in Diego. Theres a little shelf about a block south of Lahainas, gets pretty good when theres a swell. Spent many hours working the front deck. Saw some pretty sweet rides.

bordsmnj
10-18-2002, 04:45 PM
attention swimmers in the area south of the pier we have a strong reoccuring snake today please using cation when taking off... me too me too!
But, i get to wortk all week end to finish the side job that will ultimitly put a new motor in the boat. have fun wish i was hittin san-o

kphayes
10-19-2002, 07:28 AM
Sorry to hear your so far away from the the beach. Do you ever do any Great Lakes surfing? Haven't found the spots yet. I hear it has to be pretty stormy to get a good wind swell.
Dude, I tell ya what. I'll go to my brother-in -law's (Bay side kinda behind the Jack-in-the-crack), pick him up then surf those little waves south of the pier. After were done, well go to Plumb Crazy and have a cold one for ya! Oh to be back in PB & on Garnet Ave. again.
Theres a little shelf about a block south of Lahainas, gets pretty good when theres a swell. Spent many hours working the front deck. Saw some pretty sweet rides. Sound like Pacific Beach Drive. From Thomas St. down to PB Dr. has some good little sand bars.
Don't tell anybody I told you though, my bros out there would be pissed. Ha Ha

BK
10-19-2002, 08:50 AM
If theres one thing I miss about SoCal its surfing. Born and raised in Newport and started surfing with my dad when I was 7, mostly 54th and Blackies in the winter and the point durring the summer. I never thought I would end up this far away from the ocean!, oh well at least im only 15 min from Shasta Lake and thats where i'll be tommarrow. Have fun out there :)

waxer
10-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Rivercutie. Do ya surf Anderson street.... I have surfed since 79, most people in OC recognize me by my knee brace (CTI- American Flag) I also surf a few weeks in South Carlsbad, Cardiff, & San O.

Tom Foolery
10-21-2002, 06:30 AM
Damn Swell Hit later than I had hoped. :( At least I got some fun surf yesterday, Trestles in the morning and Dana Strand in the after noon. Strands was pretty fun but, damn! Those rocks are everywhere!! eek! I almost called in sick today to go surf. :rolleyes: I Probably should have. Now I'll have to hear about how great it was and how much I missed it.

beached1
10-21-2002, 06:45 AM
Cardiff, Swamis and Carlsbad are my fav. Surf all day at Cardiff and fish tacos and beer at the Taco Auctioner afterwards is my idea of a good sunday.
8'6" Encinitas.

ROZ
10-21-2002, 11:16 AM
Tom Foolery:
Damn Swell Hit later than I had hoped. :( At least I got some fun surf yesterday, Trestles in the morning and Dana Strand in the after noon. Strands was pretty fun but, damn! Those rocks are everywhere!! eek! I almost called in sick today to go surf. :rolleyes: I Probably should have. Now I'll have to hear about how great it was and how much I missed it.Well, I didn't make it out at all. My wetsuit is too small. It must have shrunk....lol
Had too much to do around the house anyway. I'll get a new skin sometime this week and be prepared for the next swell.
:cool:

Tom Foolery
10-21-2002, 02:16 PM
ROZ:
Tom Foolery:
Damn Swell Hit later than I had hoped. :( At least I got some fun surf yesterday, Trestles in the morning and Dana Strand in the after noon. Strands was pretty fun but, damn! Those rocks are everywhere!! eek! I almost called in sick today to go surf. :rolleyes: I Probably should have. Now I'll have to hear about how great it was and how much I missed it.Well, I didn't make it out at all. My wetsuit is too small. It must have shrunk....lol
Had too much to do around the house anyway. I'll get a new skin sometime this week and be prepared for the next swell.
:cool: Suppoedly the next swell is on tap for the end of the week/weekend. Hmmm...where have I heard that before? Oh yeah! Same lie they told last week!!! :rolleyes: