PDA

View Full Version : Which Computer To Buy???????

HammerDown
07-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Need something new...Dell or GateWay. I could sure use the help from some of you pro's.
$$$$I'd like to keep the price under a grand.$$$$
Can ya give me some pro's or con's.
There's a GateWay store close to home...and should that make a difference?
Thanks for any info.

Havasu Hangin'
07-22-2002, 06:47 PM
I have a Gateway- they can "go to Dell," as far as I'm concered. I too thought that the Gateway Stores would be an advantage- how wrong I was.
Hard drive crashed under warranty. The store was no help- it was easier to have it shipped to me and have the customer load it. Very nice. Strike one.
It turns out they won't warranty the data recovery. Not only that, but they didn't even ship me a drive with the OS or software from the factory on it. Strike two
CD-R burned up (literally). I gave it to the Gateway Store. They called me up, and told me that it will take them a couple days to fix it...or, I can come & pick it up, and they would overnight me the CD-R. I guess I am better at servicing my computer than they are. Strike three.
BTW, the idiots gave me my computer back with the defective CD-R still plugged in, and I couldn't get it to boot...all they had to do was unplug it...what a bunch of rocket scientists. Strike four.
The whole time, they are sending me notices that they will charge me for the defective hard drive, since I havn't shipped it back in a "timely manner." Excuse me sirs, I'm busy spending $500 to get data off your defective hard drive that is under warranty, now you want to charge me for the broken part? Strike five.
Next time, dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

Lake Lifeguard
07-22-2002, 07:05 PM
Hi there,
I have owned a Gateway and now own a Dell. The Gateway started off good or at least I thought it was good. Then I discovered the joys of DSL. The Gateway was less than enthusiastic about DSL and never worked right again. It is now a Freecell machine for my kids. The Dell on the other hand is a gem. I wont go on much more as I dont want to sound like a Dell commercial but I am a very happy customer.
I bought the 4300S with a slim case so all of my expansion has been through USB ports but even with an external CD-RW it still blows the Gateway away in all areas.
But a least the Gateway originally came in a cow print box so at least it had that going for it.
[ July 22, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Lake Lifeguard ]

HammerDown
07-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks, this is the type of input I'm looking for.
Is there anything on the Dell site that looks to be a good machine? (4500s)or (4800)???
At this time I'm using a IBM LapTop. (My girlfriends). I would like to get the new Desk top asap. Thanks again.

Lake Lifeguard
07-22-2002, 07:35 PM
That 4500S with the free memory and harddrive upgrade looks great. Just be aware it is a slim case and internal expandability is limited. All for less than $800 is impressive too.

HammerDown
07-22-2002, 07:43 PM
I never thought about it that way...thanks! And good point! The 4800 offers a flat monitor (grey screen)...but its NOT a DELL any thoughts?

fat rat
07-22-2002, 07:47 PM
I ordered a Gateway and they ended up sending me something I didn't order,( not even close) I cancelled my order and ordered a Dell......no complaints. I'm sure they all have there problems.....Good Luck.

Lake Lifeguard
07-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Oh hell, now I did the most horrific thing one can do after you buy something. Look at something similar and see what you could have had if you had waited. I want that Dell Dimension 8200 now. I need 2 gigs of ram and a 2.53 ghz processor. Why I dont know but I do.

Kindsvater Flat
07-22-2002, 07:57 PM
I done all the name brands. Now I build my own. I have yet to have one fail and a 1/3 of the cost.

riverliver
07-22-2002, 07:58 PM
dell Refurbished is the way to go, i have 4,
great prices
http://www.dell.com/images/global/products/dimen/dimen_8200_front.jpg
:D wink

572Daytona
07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
I just picked up a refurb HP machine from ecost.com and was very impressed with what I got for the money. Bear in mind that I usually assemble my own systems and haven't bought a complete system from anyone since my Gateway 486 many years ago. When I compared the price of what I could build it for the refurb system came out much better pricewise. Compare this to what you would get at Dell or Gateway for the same money and I think HP is better quality than either: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=974792
Don't let the refurb scare you, my experience with computer components is that they either fail right away or they last 5-8 years, also it had a brand new mouse/keyboard so I didn't have to put up with anyone elses beer and chip stains (only my own). When I ordered mine about a month ago it even came with free shipping and no sales tax since it is mail order.

HammerDown
07-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Lake Lifeguard...I know what ya mean, but it's a Horse Power type of thing!
Kindsvater Flat...My EX girl friend is one of those hi-dollar computer wizz'es. She use to say the same thing " I can build an awsome machine for under 1/2 the cost"...but it never happened!

HammerDown
07-22-2002, 08:10 PM
P.S. I did look into the Dell Re-furb site. I did'nt see anything to much at that time. If anyone wants to take a peek, please do so I'm all eye's and ear's!
It's late here on the East Coast...dare I say it's time to (CRASH)...I'll check back tomorrow and thanks again for all the advice!

fat rat
07-22-2002, 08:18 PM
HammerDown:
P.S. I did
It's late here on the East Coast...dare I say it's time to (CRASH)...I'll check back tomorrow and thanks again for all the advice!Yo Hammer can you say "Good Night"......I can!

Jordy
07-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Dude, go with the Dell. I just got a new Dimension 8200 about 6 months ago, granted it was a little more than a grand, but I hadn't bought a computer of my own in 10 years so I decided to go balls out with the 85 gig hard drive, the cd-rw (which was a free upgrade), dvd-rom, super mega size gigantic trinitron flat screen monitor and on and on and on. I built it online, financed it on like with 6 months no payments, no interest and they shipped it free to my house. I would buy another Dell in a heartbeat. No complaints here.
Jordy :D

DickDanger
07-22-2002, 09:45 PM
I went with the HP notebook, and I have no complaints. However, I have heard nothing but good things from Dell owners. Now if they would just get rid of that annoying dick from the commercials.....everytime I see that kid, I want to drown his evil looking ass in a vat of holy water.

Kwicherbichen
07-23-2002, 12:00 AM
I would think this post is pretty clear. BUY DELL
My next will probably be DELL. I have a Gateway that has had a few problems (but the price was very right) and one I built. Both have been decent but the DELL's are just right and if it's not, I hear the customer service folks will make it right. That's how good companys survive, good service.

Laveyman
07-23-2002, 01:31 AM
I own a Gateway. I've tried to get help from their customer service folks on the phone or online. THEY SUCK! Basically, if they didn't install the component or software at the factory, you're outta luck amigo! Never buy one again. DELL ALL THE WAY! My employer has bought over a thousand computers from Dell, and had very few problems, and when they do, Dell takes care of the problem RFN.

SuperWrench0166
07-23-2002, 02:14 AM
before you buy check out http://www.adamant.com/main.asp

Mrs. Dimarco Kid
07-23-2002, 03:01 AM
Well I have a new 8200 Dell Dimension Desktop at my work and an HP at home....I like my HP better! We had a few problems with HP until we upgraded to Windows XP and now it works much better. But for the price...my boss spent too much on that Dell....too many little quirks and no support! I know a few people with Gateways that love them and a few who hate them. I know lots of people with HP's who love them! Just my 2 cents worth......

snappertapper
07-23-2002, 07:00 AM
i have had 2 dells and i love them both

riverracerx
07-23-2002, 07:05 AM
MAC!
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/cb754bf591478d/www.apple.com/home/images/2002/07/imac17promo07172002.gif

comin' unscrewed
07-23-2002, 07:19 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
I done all the name brands. Now I build my own. I have yet to have one fail and a 1/3 of the cost.I second the nomination! Build your own. For most folks computers have this mystical aura about them. We think they must be require years of education to even consider working on one. But the fact is, once you get under the hood and tinker a bit, you'll find it's no more complicated than working on your boat! And it's a lot of fun!
The coolest thing about it is YOU get to decide EXACTLY what components you put in there. You don't end up with super low-end stuff that many name brands use to keep prices down (unless you WANT to build a budget machine). In any case you can certainly build a fast, reliable machine for a lot less than you can buy one with the same set of components.

burbanite
07-23-2002, 09:27 AM
I have built three of my own, one I'm just finishing, and for the most part I'm happy with them. If something goes wrong then it's up to you to fix it or have it repaired - no biggy.
Having said that I use Dells at work, we probably have around 150 units from desktops to servers and I would highly recommend them. Like most companies these days we rely on computers to go about our business and we have tried many options, Dell has been the best by far.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
07-23-2002, 02:53 PM
I have been putting together my own PC"s for many years now. I always use only quality components and I typically hot rod each machine to suit the applications it will be running. If you compare the amount of money you will spend putting together a machine as opposed to buying the same machine already put together, you can probably save up to 50% of the price if not more depending on the rebates ond other special offers that are always around. With that said I understand that most people aren't that computer suavy and would prefer to just get a turnkey machine. Mac's have to be the best and most reliable but since most of the free world still uses Win-blows programs I suggest you look into SONY machines. Specfically the SONY VAIO is a top of the line machine which is completely customizable to your specific needs. Typically people use these machines a lot for Digital Audio & Video, Music Composition and other high demand applications. They are a bit pricier than the Dell's and Gateway's but you get a very reliable, solid machine with great customer support. I have never had a problem with mine and out of all my PC's for some reason the SONY is the only one that hardly ever crashes. Also the resale value on the SONY's is much better. Say 6 months down the road a new machine comes out that smokes your current machine, just put it up for sale on EBay and you'll be surprised at how much you get back from your investment.
Good Luck

Boatcop
07-23-2002, 05:33 PM
I just put a new Dell 4500S on line, replacing a eMachine 333.
Difference is between night and day. Less than a grand for 1.8ghz, 256MB mem, 20G hard drive, Free CD Burner, enhanced video, etc....etc.....etc.
I bought an extra 512MB chip on ebay for 25 bucks, and now it SCREAMS with 768 megs of RAM.
I initially had a problem when I first brought it up. Seems the Norton that was bundled in it didn't protect against the KLEZ, and I was almost immediately infected with a dirty eMail. A call to their trouble shooting service got me cleaned up and running in a snap.
Highly recommend DELL, Dude!

riverliver
07-23-2002, 05:41 PM
Boat Cop
Your avatar is to funny !
LMAO
:D

fat rat
07-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Hey Hammer i also say biuld your......market them and call it the "HD".......just a thought.

HammerDown
07-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Thats sound's like a great idea...problem, like how do ya build a computer?????????????
A big Block Chevy, or screaming Harley motor...
this I know.

sorry dog
07-23-2002, 06:20 PM
Now I build my own. I have yet to have one fail and a 1/3 of the cost. Whenever I build one it usually costs a tad more but I don't cut any corners on parts. Whenever I have tried to, I either end up taking it out or back.
There is some stuff that both gateway and dell put on there that is pretty cheap. Unfortunately, that is usually the motherboard. It also seems to me if you use high quality parts like asus or abit you will get a lot less illegal operations and almost no blue screens.

fat rat
07-23-2002, 06:23 PM
HammerDown:
Thats sound's like a great idea...problem, like how do ya build a computer?????????????
this I know.I don't know, but I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I started mt Biz....I learned and followed thorough......A very good friend of mine said, if someone else can do it why can't I....."just do it". I'm also in the market for another computer for the office.....make me a deal I can't refuse!

fat rat
07-23-2002, 06:23 PM
HammerDown:
this I know.I don't know, but I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I started mt Biz....I learned and followed thorough......A very good friend of mine said, if someone else can do it why can't I....."just do it". I'm also in the market for another computer for the office.....make me a deal I can't refuse!

572Daytona
07-23-2002, 07:33 PM
You guys need to show me how to build it myself for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. I've been assembling systems for years, I currently have 4 active systems in my house that I assembled, when it was time to upgrade I priced it out and I couldn't assemble one for less anymore. The manufactures get bulk rates on components that I can't touch. Here is a breakdown that I just did for the HP Pavillion 760c system that I just got if I were to have assembled it myself:
Intel 845 MB with audio/networking/6USB/Firewire - 100
P4 1.9Ghz - 170
ATX Case & Power Supply - 40
512MB DDR PC2100 Ram - 120
GEForce 2 32MB Video - 40
120GB 7200rpm HD - 140
16x8x40 CDRW - 40
DVD - 40
1.44 Floppy - 15
Polk Audio Speakers - 15
USB Internet Keyboard / Optical Mouse - 30
WinXP Home/Money 2002/Works/Other Software - 125
Total $875 to assemble it myself not counting anything for labor/shipping/installation
I paid $799 total for the system shipped to my door in 3 days. What am I missing guys? Are my prices for the components too high? If so, show me where I can get them cheaper. The only advantages to assmebling yourself is that you can sometimes take advantage of reusing older components and you get to hand pick your components, say if you wanted a GEforce 4 instead of the Geofroce 2 that the system came with. But the way I look at it, even if I went out and bought a Geforce 4 to replace the 2, I would still be $$$ ahead.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-24-2002, 08:33 PM
riverracerx:
MAC!
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/cb754bf591478d/www.apple.com/home/images/2002/07/imac17promo07172002.gifSpoken like a true graphics guy! :D MAC's, I like them as paperweights! LOL
Buy a Dell, maybe the dam stock will go back up!

DansBlown73Nordic
07-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Boat Cop you WIN the AVATAR award!!!!!!!!!LMAO :D

Spectra20
07-31-2002, 09:07 PM
DELL...STRAIGHT UP.

79Hawaiian
07-31-2002, 11:48 PM
Compaq Deskpro! Don't waste time with consumer class junk. Buy an off lease business machine for $200 and never have another worry! I bought my 733 deskpro off Ebay last year or $117. I have worked on both Dell and Gateway, both junk. Dell is cool if you buy the extended warranty but be prepared to use it.

enticer
08-01-2002, 12:06 AM
As often as people should be replacing their computers in order to stay up with the newer software and speeds...it is hard to make a decision. A few things matter when choosing a new computer. Tech support, CPU speed, Ram and what you really need in a computer. Dell and Gateway are great for newbies because of the 24/7 tech support. But if you have any experience with them (doing your own hardware and etc.) Other brands are just as good and offer more for less. This just came across my desk: http://www.emachines.com/news/specials.html?pcode=91012
It's an e-machine...w or w/o monitor...AMD processor and lots of goodies
[ August 01, 2002, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: enticer ]

Screaming Pete
08-01-2002, 08:56 AM
I'v been looking at 2 myself Micronpc.com for a refurbished one from thier online store and a compaq that is at costco. min spec are p4 1.7-2ghz cdrw dvd. any reccomdations would be apprichated. This is for home wife's bisness shcool work macking cd's and internet :confused:

Bow Movement
08-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Personally I've had nothing but problems with Compaq, but that was a few years ago. Went with Gateway the next time around and it was a nightmare right from the beginning. It took them 4 complete systems shipped to me before they got it right, what a pain in the ass. One of them, the 3rd, wouldn't even turn on when you hit the power button, had tech support on the phone for 3 hours just trying to get the damn system to turn on. Since then I have gone with Dell and have purchased 2 desktop systems and 1 laptop. They have been excellent, great support and prices, would definately reccomend them. Just my .02 worth. Good luck

enticer
08-01-2002, 06:06 PM
I know it might sound crazy......but building one yurself (I mean find a computer sells store) and tell them want you want and then you what you have. If you can not build it yourself. It is really not difficult. I used to do it for everyone........but I got tired of the 1 AM calls because they had a problem. Which they created themselves. Now Gateway, Dell, Compaq and the name brands do offer 24/7 support. But you actually pay for it somewhere

Bense468
08-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Yeah but with people out there like E-machine selling the whole setup. AMD 2000+ processor, 512mb ddr ram, 80gb hd, 32X cdrw, 16x dvd. You cannot beat the price of $749. I used to build a lot of my own systems and yeah they are fun. But for most people this is the better way to go. I worked on Gateways for 2 years then went to working with dells for the past 3 years. Dells are WAY better. But I would look into getting a system like the one above if you are on a budget. If you want I am sure you can upgrade some things most companies will do that. Its your money.

USCLB41
08-04-2002, 08:01 PM
DELL, go to their website, you can research and pick your components,then order all on line...

HammerDown
09-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Well after all this time...I went with the Dell 8200. It should be here in about a week. Thanks for all the advise.
So whats a good color printer/ H.P. ????

NEW 2 RIVER
09-26-2002, 08:31 PM
HP For the money the best photo color printer out there for less than $200

Jordy
09-26-2002, 08:36 PM
HammerDown:
Well after all this time...I went with the Dell 8200. It should be here in about a week. Thanks for all the advise.
So whats a good color printer/ H.P. ????That's exactly what model I got. Did all the options and upgrades with the DVD and the CD burner. I love this more and more every day. I went with the HP Office Jet V40 for my printer and have no complaints there either. Print pics from the web and from my digital camera and they turn out great.
jordy :D

Jordy
09-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah, that is the printer, scanner, copier and fax all in one model.
Jordy :D

disco_charger
09-26-2002, 08:46 PM
I missed out on this the first time since it's back, I'll chime in. Commodore Vic 20. Greatest machine ever, and they have this great game! It's called Lunar Lander. It has amazing colors. Black AND white. No sound, but they say that's coming.
Disco is starting to feel old. Was I the only one with one of these? How about an Apple IIe? Remember that? And Zork? Damn I am getting old. I said something to a kid about some 8 tracks I had and he didn't even know what it was! I had an 8 track player. Couldn't get one in the new truck, but thinking of putting one in the Charger!

Kim Hanson
09-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Well I looked around and they all sucked! I had one built for me!
AMD Athlon 1600+ CPU
512 DDR Ram
Chaintech Motherboard
GeForce 2.64MB AGP videocard
DVD 16X Drive
LiteOn 24x10x40 CD RW
D-link538TX10x100 NIC
20G 7200RPM Harddrive
MidTower ATX Case with 300w Power Supply
Extra Case Fan
On Board Sound
Sansung 17"753DF Flat screen
Under 2,000.00 and TIT'S....
Dell and Viao, looked at both and they " Sucked ",Gateway? The best way is to build it,get what you want and **** the rest!...............( . )( . ).....

GlastronGuy
09-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a decent machine.
[ September 26, 2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

bigq
09-26-2002, 09:27 PM
check out alienware.com for one of the best, but like anything you pay. Nothing special about the Dells, but customer service if something goes wrong needs to be considered. Sound like Gateway would be out.

RiverKitty
09-27-2002, 12:25 AM
Havasu_Dreamin:
riverracerx:
MAC!
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/imacpw.gifSpoken like a true graphics guy! :D MAC's, I like them as paperweights! LOL
SonyVAIO & Alienware has my vote!
Gotta love those paperweights! ;o)

bigq
09-27-2002, 07:37 AM
RiverKitty:
Havasu_Dreamin:
riverracerx:
MAC!
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/imacpw.gifSpoken like a true graphics guy! :D MAC's, I like them as paperweights! LOL
Gotta love those paperweights! ;o)It's not just a paperweight, you can have a very nice picture displayed on the paperweight, now that is cool. :D

RiverKitty
09-27-2002, 01:27 PM
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/imacpw12.gif
Gotta love those paperweights! ;o)
It's not just a paperweight, you can have a very nice picture displayed on the paperweight, now that is cool. :D Ahhh yess! Let us not forget the *picture* on the "world's largest paperweight"! ;o)

jimmieleeraybob
09-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Dude, you gotta get a Dell. I have 3 of 'em...never any problems! I've sold 6 other people on them and again, no problems! Figure out what you want and order it online.

78Eliminator
09-27-2002, 02:58 PM
If you want a hot rod, you are going to have to piece it together. If you don't want the hassle, get a Compaq or Dell. Both are good venders and have excellent customer service.
For a long time I would just see Compaqs in the server rooms I would visit for my job, but lately it seems that lots of companies are even using Dell servers. In my opinion, without getting into specifics they are both compatible, but for a desktop I would definately go with Dell.
Justin

Her454
10-01-2002, 06:26 PM
Buy HP ! That way I can afford to keep surfing these boards and going to the lake! :D

Steamin' Rice
10-02-2002, 12:01 PM
disco_charger:
I missed out on this the first time since it's back, I'll chime in. Commodore Vic 20. Greatest machine ever, and they have this great game! It's called Lunar Lander. It has amazing colors. Black AND white. No sound, but they say that's coming.
Disco is starting to feel old. Was I the only one with one of these? How about an Apple IIe? Remember that? And Zork? Damn I am getting old. I said something to a kid about some 8 tracks I had and he didn't even know what it was! I had an 8 track player. Couldn't get one in the new truck, but thinking of putting one in the Charger!Charger, I've got you beat...Going to get a Commodore 64 this afternoon...64k memory should be all I ever need.....Until I upgrade to a TRS-80.. :D

HammerDown
10-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Well my brand new Dell 8200 arrived today...Its missing one of two power cords!!!! WTF!
[ October 03, 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

HammerDown
10-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Update...Dell said no problem...we'll next day air ya a nother power cord....after it takes them 4 days to get it in! ( A grand worth of computer shit sitting on the living room floor)... Again I say WTF!
And to think...Gateway is 3 miles from my house!

Jrocket
10-03-2002, 07:27 PM
HammerDown:
Update...Dell said no problem...we'll next day air ya a nother power cord....after it takes them 4 days to get it in! ( A grand worth of computer shit sitting on the living room floor)... Again I say WTF!
And to think...Gateway is 3 miles from my house!You only got away with a grand? You got lucky! Whatever you do stay away from the Gateway's...

HammerDown
10-05-2002, 06:18 PM
Update, still no power cord from DELL...but this 17" monitor makes a great foot stool!

HammerDown
10-13-2002, 06:04 AM
Would it be true that Windows XP dosent offer a (History) Icon as Windows 95 dose? Or am I missing something. (new to this stuff!)
PS. when I told Dell "if I don't get the needed power cable in 2 days, I'm shipping your computer back to you" I got the cable in 2 days!
[ October 13, 2002, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

bigq
10-13-2002, 11:46 AM
HammerDown:
Would it be true that Windows XP dosent offer a (History) Icon as Windows 95 dose? Or am I missing something. (new to this stuff!)
PS. when I told Dell "if I don't get the needed power cable in 2 days, I'm shipping your computer back to you" I got the cable in 2 days!hehe, that's Dell for ya, or HP or IBM or .....