PDA

View Full Version : Two Way FRS Radio - Which one?

Lightning
09-18-2002, 11:35 AM
So I'm looking to buy a couple of two way radios.
Does anyone have any feedback on what to buy/not to buy?
Preferred battery power?
Sources for purchasing and getting a bro deal?
Thanks for you help.

Steamin' Rice
09-18-2002, 12:25 PM
I bought a pair of Motorola FRS radios at costco recently for around $50. I haven't used them much, but so far I like them..

THOR
09-18-2002, 12:36 PM
I have the same ones. They are yellow BTW. WOrk fine for me.

In2Deep
09-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Has anyone picked up a pair of GMRS?
Which GMRS are better...and do they really reach 5 miles?

burning cole
09-19-2002, 08:21 AM
just go get a pair a nextel's. If you try to use the radio's anywhere but open spaces they suck.
Just my opinon

Hermosa
09-19-2002, 10:58 AM
burning cole:
just go get a pair a nextel's. If you try to use the radio's anywhere but open spaces they suck.
Just my opinonCostco has the Cobra FRS radios, they claim 5 miles. Mine work well for the boat, like you said wide open spaces....

burning cole
09-19-2002, 11:32 AM
if you are in your boat and crusing around and you want to call back to the girls and tell them to get dinner ready, I am not sure they are going to work for you. I have tried to use them, they did not work so I threw them in the river. If you want to talk to the boat next to you great. If you want to talk from say Sand Bar to Needles, not going to do it. I thought that they would be really cool and man was I dissapointed.

JetBoatRich
09-19-2002, 01:40 PM
I have a couple hand FRS's, they work good talking to the kids around the neighborhood, backing the RV into a tight spot, etc. I get a mile with full batteries.

stucknohio
09-19-2002, 03:02 PM
i bought the motorolas, good for a mile, great for traveling with two vehicles.

Instigator28
09-19-2002, 03:18 PM
I got the Motorola T-6400 FRS/GMRS radios. As everyone said if you are wide open they are good, but under no conditions will they touch the 5 miles that they say the GMRS will get you. Great for caravans in both tow or on the water and at the launch ramp. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Froggystyle
09-19-2002, 08:26 PM
I just used my Cobra GMRS at the Hot Boat evaluations, and we got from Copper Canyon to the Nauti with zero dramas... I don't know how far that is though.

HighRoller
09-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Anyone considered a handheld CB radio?Or even a regular CB radio by Cobra wired into your boat?you can get 5,6 or 10 miles with a good CB.Just make sure you get the ConEx board so you can turn up the echo and sound like a trucker!!!!COME ON BACK!!!!

OutCole'd
09-19-2002, 08:35 PM
HighRoller:
Anyone considered a handheld CB radio?Or even a regular CB radio by Cobra wired into your boat?you can get 5,6 or 10 miles with a good CB.Just make sure you get the ConEx board so you can turn up the echo and sound like a trucker!!!!COME ON BACK!!!!I am sure my boat would look great with one of those 15' chrome antenna's hanging off the back.

HighRoller
09-19-2002, 10:42 PM
No,that's old school.You gotta get your antenna leaning forward into the wind nowadays!!!

JustMVG
09-19-2002, 10:48 PM
We bought the Motorola FRS and have had good experiences with them until you get into a crowded situation, like the races, lots of other folks using them, you have to keep switching to a different channel. Great for the kids and knowing where they are, used them while taking some pics of the boats on the lake and had no problems.
See ya later. Mike VG

Havasu Doug
09-20-2002, 01:10 PM
HighRoller:
Anyone considered a handheld CB radio?Or even a regular CB radio by Cobra wired into your boat?you can get 5,6 or 10 miles with a good CB.Just make sure you get the ConEx board so you can turn up the echo and sound like a trucker!!!!COME ON BACK!!!!Because of the low frequency of CB (27 Mhz), they ARE excellent for distance. That's why the CHP uses 42 Mhz instead of the local law enforcement old standard of 460 Mhz and the new standard of 800 Mhz. However, the lower the frequency, the longer the antenna AND it's AM while all the FRS stuff is FM. If your going with CB, forget the handheld and put a mobile unit in the boat.
[ September 20, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Doug ]