PDA

View Full Version : Nextel???????

Jrocket
09-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Anybody in here a rep for Nextel and in the So. Ca area? Im thinking of switching over and want to get set up.Also to help a salesman out if possible.Im in Riverside area if anybody is close and can help........John :D

NashvilleBound
09-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Nextel sucks. Go Verizon it works everywhere. Just my opinion......

Jrocket
09-16-2002, 07:18 PM
Ive got Verizon,thats why Im going Nextel!.There service is ok but the phones they have SUCK.Ive been with the same cell service for around 10 years and the phones are getting crappier every time.So Im kinda of stuck I guess.Good phone or good service?

Havasu Hangin'
09-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Jrocket:
Ive got Verizon,thats why Im going Nextel!.There service is ok but the phones they have SUCK.Ive been with the same cell service for around 10 years and the phones are getting crappier every time.So Im kinda of stuck I guess.Good phone or good service?Exactly. Why does everyone else offer cutting-edge phones, but Verizon offers these weak-ass phones?
Where's Beached1?

77charger
09-16-2002, 07:36 PM
i have nextel i get it from work so i dont pay the bill in the past couple of years there aervice has improved but there are still a couple of places that when i go on vac it blanks out.But for around so cal it is great.
I also have an at&t service phone that i let my wife use that one works just about everywhere even on abeach in lake powell and have had that one for about4 years.

Havasu Cig
09-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Hey JRocket :)
We've been real happy with Cingular in SoCal and Havasu (especially when broken in the middle of the lake!!!) ... and it seems that whenever I try to call someone with Nextel, the call never goes through. :confused: I was looking into other plans and from what I've been told, T-Mobile shares the same cell sites as Cingular and the signal is a bit stronger since they don't have as many people on the plans yet... I just don't think I can give up the free mobile to mobile with Cingular. :rolleyes:

MissHavasuCig
09-16-2002, 07:43 PM
aawwwwww man! That was me posting ~ I forgot to log him off first :rolleyes:
Hope little J is doing great and letting you sleep a little wink
Jody

Jrocket
09-16-2002, 07:46 PM
MissHavasuCig:
aawwwwww man! That was me posting ~ I forgot to log him off first :rolleyes:
Hope little J is doing great and letting you sleep a little wink
JodyI'm holding her as I type(one handed)! :)

kcm21
09-16-2002, 07:48 PM
J,
I am not partial because I work for AT&T but seriously I never have a problem with my phone in Havasu (steamboat, sand bar etc.) it also works in parker, and laughlin. Need a second opinion ask advantage adam or havasu dcb. call me if you have any questions I can help......plus we have a 30 day trial so you can take it out and make sure it works!!!!!!
-kev-

nextasex
09-16-2002, 07:50 PM
Nextel is nextahell! When i had mine last year it had very poor service. verizon works everywhere but in Steamboat and some parts of havasu, on the lake. at&t has great service on the lake, i always end up using my buddy's phone at havasu.

kcm21
09-16-2002, 07:51 PM
J,
my number is 714 271 3154, wow i am a moron! :D
-kev-

BloodShot
09-16-2002, 07:53 PM
I have a cingular phone and a nextel and travel all over the USA......Cingular works great everywhere.. Nextel is hard to get reception in some places, but is very nice if the signal is strong.....That 2 way radio ROCKS!!!!(when it works)
.02 :D
Derek

boatnam2
09-16-2002, 07:53 PM
done a lot of testing on this issue and at@t is the only phone we got to work in parker.sprint is shit,cingular is ok until 4 corners and then quits.

BOBALOO
09-16-2002, 08:04 PM
I build cell sites for sprint/cingular/verizon/at&t and various paging companies and the best in my opinion is at&t.We go on alot of trips and if our at&t doesnt work(rarely)nobodys phone works.I also have nextohell,and wouldnt waste my $$$ if it wasnt paid for by work,or didnt have 2-way radio.My 02.c

Jrocket
09-16-2002, 08:26 PM
kcm21:
J,
my number is 714 271 3154, wow i am a moron! :D
-kev-Hey Kev I got your #,Ill call you later sometime.
My service is not all that bad and the price is comparable.Its the dam phones they have SUCK.From day one Ive had problems with them(about 10yrs).But every time I go to cancel I get drawn in by some rebate or discount.My fault ,oh well.Now Im thinking more in the way of two way radio and phone service,but with higher quality phones.I have Nextel for work and it seems to be fine.We have 45-50 phones without any major problems.Why cant Verizon have a better line of phones? I have their top of the line Motorola and Im on my third one now(in one year)!I asked the guy if the phones where new or refurbished and he kinda smiled and raised his eyebrows.So that either tells me they're refurbished junk......or he was coming on to me!Either way Im not shopping in that store again.....Thats final...JR

HighRoller
09-16-2002, 08:29 PM
NEXTEL blows dog!!!My red "No Service"light is on more than the green signal light!!And their customer service is more like customer"no service".If your account isn't big$$$ you go to the back of the line!!!I travel all over and wouldn't recommend Nextel to my worst enemy.

kcm21
09-16-2002, 09:27 PM
Nextasex,
Gee frank am I really your buddy! lol thanks for the hype!
J,
What it boils down to is cell service sucks in general! Until we move to satellite phones which is no time soon there will be dead spots but I keep telling myself that when i get pissed and throw my phone against the wall that does not help my service!!!!!!!! seriously though it helps knowing someone in the business cause then you can call them and they will do there best to get you compensated.....and just a note to anyone who cares, if you talk nice to the customer care rep they will do there best and if they are an a-hole just yell long and hard and they will eventually give you some sort of credit! :D
-kev-

RiverDave2
09-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Nextel... The way business is undone.
I swear to god I almost throw my out my car window twice a day.
RD

HAVASU HAULIN'
09-16-2002, 09:32 PM
AT&T ENOUGH SAID :cool:

mbrown2
09-16-2002, 09:35 PM
kcm21:
J,
I am not partial because I work for AT&T but seriously I never have a problem with my phone in Havasu (steamboat, sand bar etc.) it also works in parker, and laughlin. Need a second opinion ask advantage adam or havasu dcb. call me if you have any questions I can help......plus we have a 30 day trial so you can take it out and make sure it works!!!!!!
-kev-I use Nextel for work and it is lackluster...my wife has AT&T and that is the only thing that works in Parker...

kcm21
09-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Everyone has my # now that it is on the board if there are any customer service problems feel free to give me a shout and I will do my best. I must have nothing better to do while I am there at work cause I have plenty of time to post!!! :D :D :D
-Kevin-
oh wait a second I do sales to so if you wanna sign up I would be glad to help. Don't think of it as wasting money cause that is what will pay for my gas next time I am at the river wink
[ September 16, 2002, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: kcm21 ]

WILD LAVEY
09-16-2002, 09:47 PM
nextel sucks, i just terminated my account with them. im tryin verizon this time.

HM
09-16-2002, 09:51 PM
My Verizon service works in Parker pretty well, but there are some definite dead spots. I stepped up to a LG phone and because of my work and my call plan, I got the phone for $50 instead of $300.
I do agree that most of the free phones from Verizon Suck.
AT&T is good. I got my wife the prepay with a free phone and it works better than my Verizon/LG combo.

kcm21
09-16-2002, 09:58 PM
holymoly,
Good man keep her on the pre pay!!!! lmao
-kev- :D

HM
09-16-2002, 10:03 PM
kcm21:
holymoly,
Good man keep her on the pre pay!!!! lmao
-kev- :D LOL
Actually, she hates cell phones, but I strong arm her into them when she is pregnant(7 months currently).
She likes being able to escape!

Hustler
09-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Hey kevin, we have at&t that we us on the weekends but have noticed latley that the sevice is kinda shitty and I think it is due to the phone, we just resigned up for a year but still have the same old phone, is there a way to get a new phone without paying 200 buck for one. also the only time we really us it is at the river and the roaming charges are killing us.

79Hawaiian
09-16-2002, 11:24 PM
HighRoller:
NEXTEL blows dog!!!My red "No Service"light is on more than the green signal light!!And their customer service is more like customer"no service".If your account isn't big$$$ you go to the back of the line!!!I travel all over and wouldn't recommend Nextel to my worst enemy.HighRoller, NOT TRUE!!! If you are a big roller you still get shitty service! I work for Disney and they have thousands of phones. Every time I call my "Corporate Account Rep" to make a change on my phone it takes a minimum of 3 calls and about a total of 8 hours of hold time before they get it straight. My wife has ATT and I can make the same changes in about 15 minutes.
Nextel has a monolopy on the 2-way radio. They don't need to offer good customer service or support. Once another carrier has 2-way they will need to spend the frickin money and make it competitive.
Until then we suffer. Oh joy.

Unchained
09-17-2002, 03:29 AM
Yea, Nextel has some service dead spots but so do the others. For me, our whole family and most of our friends have nextel and can talk on the 2 way, real convenient. My sister called me on the nextel phone last Nov. from Mi. She thought I was in Mi. I was in Phoenix at Firebird. Came in loud and clear just as a BAH boat blasted by.

JetBoatRich
09-17-2002, 03:35 AM
Contact this person he is a buddy of mine, he will ship the equipment what ever you need.
Contact Name: Randy Hicks
E-mail 1: orbitwireless@sbcglobal.net
I only have his cell and home number, I don't want to post it without asking.
[ September 17, 2002, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

JetBoatRich
09-17-2002, 03:37 AM
I do agree that Nextel has it's faults, but most of family and friends have nextel and we use the direct connect all the time to reach each other. As sites go up it will only get better, at least I hope.

burning cole
09-17-2002, 05:53 AM
you guys with Nextel's need to call customer service, I have yet to wait on the phone for more then one minute maybe two. The service is great and I have no problems at all using the phones on the river from Laughlin to Blyth the phone works great. There is only one area the phone does not work around here 101 through Calabasas, but other then that it is clear as a bell. And no I do not have a big account there, just two phones, and I get treated like a king.

Kindsvater Flat
09-17-2002, 06:23 AM
I have both Nextel and AT&T. I have been with AT&T for a long time and never have had a problem with them. As for as the Nextel goes, the 2-way works great the cellular part sucks the big one.

beached1
09-17-2002, 08:38 AM
I work in the Rf Engineering dept for AT&T so I may be a little biased. But I can say this without argument, we have more cell sites on air than any other carrier in San D, OC, San B, Riverside, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. Are we the best for coverage and voice quality? Soemtimes yes, sometimes no. More often than not, we are. I have drive tested all the other carriers and usually find that the next best in coverage is Verizon. Makes sense, Verizon which used to be Airtouch, which used to be Pac Tel and us who used to LA Cellular had a 10 year head start on our network buildout over the others. Not to mention, we still add new sites every year. So, it will be very hard for Cingular, Sprint and Nextel to catch us in that area. The only advice I can give anyone is if your phone works well were you use it most, then keep it. Also, contact customer care at least once a year to see what new plans are offered and make them change you to it. They offer more min for less $ all the time so this will only save you money. One thing that is the standard is that carriers hate whats called Churn. That's when you leave for another carrier at the end of your contract, si if they can keep you by moving you to better cheaper plans every year, they will. When you leave it costs them money, big money. If you have 1.5 mil subs and %2 leave every month which costs you about 400 bucks a piece to replace, it kind of sticks in your craw.
As far as Havasu and Parker, I can tell you this. If you are in parker, our cell sites are on a mtn top right above the Parker dam and in Havasu, we are at Havasu Landing. We mapped out our frequncy plans with Cell one last year to that the coverage is pretty clean in Havasu. But I was upset to find that there was crappy coverage near the La Paz areas in Parker. So if you are ATTWS, just try to be in good line of site towards the Parker dam to make a call in parker. Why Cell one isn't there either is beyond me.
As for phones, just remember. The smaller they get and the more features they load em with, the weaker they transmit.
Sat phones will NOT replace cell carriers but only enhance their service. There isn't enough bandwith to support them. They will need us (on the ground) more than we'll need them. In other words, Kahching. BTW, AT&T owns more bandwith than any other carrier.
hope this helps. if anyone has any ?s feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

JetBoatRich
09-17-2002, 08:46 AM
burning cole:
you guys with Nextel's need to call customer service, I have yet to wait on the phone for more then one minute maybe two. The service is great and I have no problems at all using the phones on the river from Laughlin to Blyth the phone works great. There is only one area the phone does not work around here 101 through Calabasas, but other then that it is clear as a bell. And no I do not have a big account there, just two phones, and I get treated like a king.I was on the phone with them yesterday, the person that helped me was great. I changed billing on 15 phones and he never complained.
I will agree with the 101 through Calabasas and Canoga Park, they need a site there.

riverracerx
09-17-2002, 09:10 AM
I have AT&T. How come when I am in the middle of Thompson Bay I am local and when I am in the channel and in town I am roaming. Sometimes if I stand on 1 foot and wave my left arm in the air and cough, I am local??
My Cingular had the best coverage and service in Havasu and was local all the time, but wouldn't work at my house in Valencia, that is why I switched back to AT&T.

RiverForUs
09-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Jrocket,
Check your e-mail!

beached1
09-17-2002, 11:35 AM
riverracerx:
I have AT&T. How come when I am in the middle of Thompson Bay I am local and when I am in the channel and in town I am roaming. Sometimes if I stand on 1 foot and wave my left arm in the air and cough, I am local??
In a perfect world, and according to the FCC, you shouldn't be on home area as soon as you cross the middle of the lake or the state line. You are then in AZ frequency allocation. you can't block the RF from traveling or bouncing accross the water, this is why you sometimes bounce back and forth from our network to theirs. Cingular worked on home only because they don't have anyone on the AZ side trying to use the same frequencies or the same type of GSM network. FYI, Cingulars site is at Havasu Landing for those of you on Cingular.
[ September 17, 2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: beached1 ]

Jrocket
09-17-2002, 08:02 PM
RiverForUs:
Jrocket,
Check your e-mail!I got the Mail,thanks.
Thanks everyone for the input here.I'll check into some of the ideas that came up.Too bad Verizon couldnt sell better phones.Id be happy with that. JR

kcm21
09-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Hustler,
Gimmie a call and we can take a look at your account, I can get you on somethin that escapes the roaming charges. Yes we can get you into a phone and unless I am losing my touch I am gonna claim I can do it pretty cheap! :D gimmie a shout and we will take it to the MAN....Always tryin to keep us down :D :D :D (sorry I had to throw that in there)
Riodog,
I have noticed that also (not the mexican bs) but sometimes it takes a minute or two. kinda weird cause I actually think cingular has towers in that area and at&t has roaming agreements to use the tower in that area. Instead of getting pissed off take my advice and either call me, or dial 611 and talk to a customer care rep (nicely) they will be cool if you talk to them cool, the last thing they want to hear is another person pissed off and yelling, and tell them you tried and tried and tried to place calls and it did not work and that you are seriously beginning to doubt your service and find out if there is anything they can do for you........if they say no then start screamin and i gauranty something will get done. But be nice first, it really makes a difference.
beached1 knows his stuff very well so pay attention. He is techy I am just sales and cust. service.......but what he mentioned about churn is VERY true, what you need to do is use that to your advantage when you want something from the man.
-kev-

bajaruner
09-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Jrocket, here's the dealio from my perspective. I have been through all the providers at one time or another, and I have found that Verizon is by far the best available at this time. First off NEXTEL no way, AT&T pretty damn good would be second choice, Cingular up and coming. It's just these to don't seem to work well in BFE. My current Verizon phone is a AudioVox 9155-GPX. To my amazement it outperformed the new Motorola's by allot in the field, and the Motorola's are what these Verizon stores try to push. It must be a kickback thing because those phones suck. The AudioVox (I know not exactly known for hi-end) work's everywhere I need it except for those obvious dead spot's. whether I'm in Yuma, or Havasu in the summer, Glamis, Ocotillo Wells in the winter, or driving in between, it works. Hell It even works in Baja Mex. Sitting on the beach in San Felipe while eating a fish taco's, and drinking a Corona. (I don't think AT&T can do that?)

snappertapper
09-18-2002, 03:30 AM
i have both nextel and at&t they both work great every where i go! had alltell and cingular they both suck ass

Charley
09-18-2002, 11:19 AM
I have had 5 phones with Pacbell...now cingular for like 6 years running...when they became cingular I saw a decline in service usually "system busy".. or drop off immediately after dialing... I finally gave up..cancelled cingular and bought 5 Nextels..... BAD MOVE.... nextahell dropped me so many times in my first month I dropped them.... I dont care if they sue me for the 1 year contrct either i cant run the business Im in on shit cell service... I went back to Cingular and they gave me 2 free months.... since I stayed...kinda cool... I then went out and bought myself a handspring Treo communicator.... palm pilot and cell phone all in one.... I guess Im staying with Cingular a while!!! hehehe btw the service of cingular has gotten better just in the 2 months we bailed on it.... interesting but true... they did say they were putting up some 1500 new sites in Socal in the next 6 months...we'll see!

sorry dog
09-18-2002, 01:12 PM
What it boils down to is cell service sucks in general!I second that. I switched the company away from verizon last year after billing problems became too much. Went to Nextel and overall the coverage in my area is nearly as good as Verizon and 2 way radio is great, but got on the phone the other day and tried to make changes to the account. They say I'm not authorized to make changes-- I ask how that can be since I set up the account. "Sorry sir I can't help you. Is there any thing else I can help you with today?"
Well that has to be the stupidest question yet. After that I sent a fax telling of my displeasure and yet to have get a response for two days. Seems to me that they **** you a little harder on the equipment, but for some reason Nextel minutes go a LOT farther than Verizon minutes. It's like you get charged a minute for pressing keys.
Fortunately, in my area So. Linc gives them a bit a competition in the 2way radio area.
You can't win. they all suck in some way.

sorry dog
09-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Well... after writing that I got all fired up and call'em back up and let some poor girl have it. So after she said sorry for the 10th time and fixed it , they are off my shit list for now......

Stupid Fast
09-18-2002, 01:42 PM
RiverDave2:
RDNo kidding. I threw mine off of a roof(about 40 ft.) one time. It was one of those old brick type(you could beat a man to death with it). I'll be damed, it still worked. If it wasn't for the two-way our company would drop Nextell in a heart beat. I heard that shortly their pattent is up so other carriers can start using two way. We shall see.
P.S. Does anybody else get their voice mail and text mail about 10 hours late sometimes?
Eric

beached1
09-18-2002, 04:41 PM
One other thing i should add for the ATTWS subscribers. We in the Engineering dept have been optimizing our new 3G system that apparently has already been released to the public. AT&T is selling this new plan for something like around 100 bucks a month and unlimited use. Not sure if that includes free roming and free long dist, but I think it does. Perhaps KCM can elaborate? Anyway, if any of you have one of these in the LA area, please call in any coverage or voice and data quality issues. This system is brand spanking new and some sites still need to be optimized. It isn't as good as our TDMA system yet, but it will be very soon, like in the next couple months. nevertheless, it helps when customers call in problems. That goes for every carrier really. We aren't perfect and need to hear it. The best way to get a cell site added is when enough subscribers complain.

beached1
09-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Stupid Fast:
RiverDave2:
RDNo kidding. I threw mine off of a roof(about 40 ft.) one time. It was one of those old brick type(you could beat a man to death with it). I'll be damed, it still worked. If it wasn't for the two-way our company would drop Nextell in a heart beat. I heard that shortly their pattent is up so other carriers can start using two way. We shall see.
P.S. Does anybody else get their voice mail and text mail about 10 hours late sometimes?
EricNextel never had a patent as far as I know. AT&T has been flirting with the idea of the Two Way feature for years. We already have the capability in our switches. The biggest reason without getting into a bunch of math and putting you all to sleep, is bandwith. ATTWS didn't want to use up any for it.
As for your voicemail problems. It could be a couple things. You actually have a personal time slot in a channel board in a system called Octel. More often than not with prob like these, there is a malfunction in the Octel box or in the magazine that will hose up your voice mail. It can also be a glitch in you account in the HLR. The HLR is where all your personal info is stored. So if you get a message and your HLR screws up in finding you and or your account, you don't get the message. Usually the info is stored in Octel and eventually gets to you. If it's an ongoing prob, call cust care and complain. The switch may need to look at the Octel box you are assinged to.
anyone still awake?
:D

Stupid Fast
09-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Huh...........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,....Huh? j/k

Jrocket
09-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Somebody has to know this..
Since the phones at Verizon are junk,why cant I get a phone from Nextel and use it on my Verizon account?Seems the phone quality from Nextel on their phones are better.Anyone want to set me straight on this.Can I get a descent phone somewhere else?..........
WAKE UP STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!

Charley
09-18-2002, 08:30 PM
why cant you bolt ford heads on to a chevy block johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they dont want you to thats why hehehehe

syke-o
09-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Just a little sidebar from a Cingular employee... The rumor is: Cingular will soon be merging with T-Mobile. As it currently stands Cingular is in a joint thing with AT&T helping them build out their GSM network. So analysts predict Cingular to merge with T-Mobile(Aka Voicestream) and then to merge with AT&T sice the technology is similar. Analysts are also talking about something similar with Verizon and Sprint hooking up. The wireless market is saturated so only the stron will survive, and right now the only 2 profitable wireless carriers are Cingular and Verizon. So Cingular might be the way to go.... :)

THOR
09-19-2002, 06:13 AM
I have Cingular and it totally sucks ass.

beached1
09-19-2002, 07:32 AM
syke-o:
Cingular is in a joint thing with AT&T helping them build out their GSM network.No, Cingular is not helping us build our 3g GSM/Edge system. This is out of our own budget. ATTWS built a Nokia system. Cing (in the LA market anyway) is Ericsson based. Infact we are allowing Cing to roam on our system in many midwest states because they don't have any sites built out yet in those areas.
So analysts predict Cingular to merge with T-Mobile(Aka Voicestream) and then to merge with AT&T sice the technology is similar. Yes, these rumors are true. But there is a couple of big hurdles. One, ATTWS is a publically traded compnay. Cingular is not. Cing is Union, ATT is not. NTT DoCoMo, ATTWS's sister company in Japan is part owner and they aren't so hot on being pushed down to a lesser postition. In other words, they'll dump their stake in us and cost us a lot of Yen if they get pushed out or down the on the food chain.
Analysts are also talking about something similar with Verizon and Sprint hooking up. :) This is also true.

beached1
09-19-2002, 07:37 AM
Jrocket:
Somebody has to know this..
Since the phones at Verizon are junk,why cant I get a phone from Nextel and use it on my Verizon account?Seems the phone quality from Nextel on their phones are better.Anyone want to set me straight on this.Can I get a descent phone somewhere else?..........
WAKE UP STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!The technologies are different. Nextel is TDMA and Verizon is CDMA.

kcm21
09-19-2002, 12:15 PM
-kevbeached1 is right about the merger, i sat in on a confrence with the vp of attws and he said it is not possible unless docomo drops us and in that case we would be up a creek without a paddle! as far as the phone working in baja i have used mine many times in san miguel you just need to call cust care and let them know to make it possible. and for 99.99 at&t has a plan for unlimited use no long distance or roaming charges but there are a couple setbacks about that plan........if you are really interested e mail me, i am not here to bore anyone! :D :D :D
-kev-

riverracerx
09-19-2002, 12:32 PM
How are those new 8360 phones. I know sometimes smaller is not always better, but they look cool. I think only my 4 year old will be able to dial on those little buttons though??
What is T-Mobiles deal? I know they are VoiceStream on the other coast. Are they just trying to expand or are they part of someone else. They are giving phones away and their prices are great, but do they have service everywhere?? If I can't call, price means nothing.
Also, I know ATTWS has the best coverage and cell service, but why do their rate plans suck so bad compared to their competitors??
Bitch, whine complain, I wanna go to the lake!!!! frown

kcm21
09-19-2002, 12:38 PM
RRX,
the smaller the phone the worse the reception......remember that. it really isn't that bad though, at&t uses the 8390, and it was pretty good but ericsson actually stepped it up and their phone is pretty decent also. as far as the rate plans right now we actually are pretty competitve, (it's the first time in a few years!) just remember cell service is like everything else in life.......YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. :confused:
-kev-

beached1
09-19-2002, 02:01 PM
kcm21:
if you are really interested e mail me, i am not here to bore anyone! :D :D :D
-kev-E-mailing you right now. I get ?'s on rate plans all the time from friends and I don't have a friggin clue about rates and minutes, etc. I just try to keep this stuff working. I haven't paid for cell service, roaming, or long distance in about 6 years.

syke-o
09-19-2002, 02:12 PM
T-Mobile's/Voicestream's parent company is Deutsche Telekom out of Germany, and Voicestream/T-Mobile is actually the largest GSM Carrier in the United States.

beached1
09-19-2002, 02:14 PM
The 8390's are on the new GSM/Edge system that I mentioned earlier. They work pretty good but not as good as our TDMA sys yet. It;s brand new and some sites are still being optimized. They should be pretty consistant in voice quality as our existing network in a couple months. As for data, it kicks but. I have been testing with the 8390 lately and haven't tried any others yet. But the 8390 works pretty damn good. And it takes about as much space in my pocket as a Zippo lighter would. Got to love that.

syke-o
09-19-2002, 02:15 PM
beached1:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by syke-o:
[qb]Cingular is in a joint thing with AT&T helping them build out their GSM network.No, Cingular is not helping us build our 3g GSM/Edge system. This is out of our own budget. ATTWS built a Nokia system. Cing (in the LA market anyway) is Ericsson based. Infact we are allowing Cing to roam on our system in many midwest states because they don't have any sites built out yet in those areas.
AT&T Wireless and Cingular Wireless Announce
Major Expansion of GSM/GPRS Network Coverage
Via New Joint Venture
Deal Accelerates GSM/GPRS Expansion of Both Carriers
GSM Coverage Along 3,000 Miles of Highways in West and Midwest
Redmond, WA and Atlanta, Jan. 28, 2002 -- Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE) announced the formation of a joint venture that will allow both carriers to more quickly and cost-effectively expand their buildout of GSM/GPRS network coverage along 3,000 miles of interstate highways in predominantly Mid-western and Western states. This JV will be the first to provide GSM/GPRS wireless technology to customers along major interstate routes in Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota, New Mexico, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.
The new network is expected to be operational in the first quarter 2003. Once the network is built and GSM/GPRS coverage is established along these major interstate highways, customers of both companies will have continuous access to advanced wireless data services and seamless functionality when traveling from coast to coast.
By sharing the capital cost of the network build-out, Cingular, a joint venture of SBC Communications Inc. (NYSE:SBC) and BellSouth (NYSE: BLS), and AT&T Wireless will bring the benefits of advanced network services (GSM/GPRS) to millions of their customers many months sooner than either company could have on its own. In addition to the accelerated network buildout, both companies will realize substantial savings in capital and operating expenses.
The joint venture will be managed equally by AT&T Wireless and Cingular. In addition to cash capital contributions, each company will also contribute spectrum that will be held and managed by the JV. The JV will also offer roaming to third parties at market

kcm21
09-19-2002, 02:17 PM
although by 01/01/2003 all of at&t's current tdma markets will be switched to gsm. regardless I would not want voicestreams service because let's be honest if they have been in the LA area for 1 month i am sure they have great service with no dead spots!
-kev-

kcm21
09-19-2002, 02:22 PM
sykeo,
you are right are part of the joint venture idea, there are also current roaming agreements between the two companies in canada also. I know that before gsm launched in la i was on a demo account using cingular's system. i did have a couple problems connecting sometimes, but other than that it was not too bad.......
merger=no
helping each other out=yes

syke-o
09-19-2002, 02:27 PM
I agree, be nice to your neighbors because in wireless you never know what will happen. I survived the current downsizing of 3000 Cingular employees. So i never know who i might be working with, or for, in the near future.

beached1
09-19-2002, 02:37 PM
All I can tell you is that in LA their isn't any Cingular joint venture helping us build anything. In an attempt for both Cing and ATTWS to cover as many dead spots as possible, we have agreed to allow our subscribers to freely roam on eachothers networks. both Cing and ATTWS do not have as much GSM coverage as ATTs older TDMA system. Since we are the only two GSM networks around, we need each other for coverage issues.
KCM, ATT will not be turning off it's TDMA system in 2003. They can't.
BTW, not trying to slam any other carrier. Hope I haven't offended anyone (Syk-0).
:p

kcm21
09-19-2002, 02:43 PM
beached,
i did not mean turning off tdma, I just meant that all tdma markets we have will be gsm compatible....ie san fran, new york, all the ones that aren't yet ready. no turning off cause what is amazing i still see people who are using 5120's and straight bag phones.....that is always a good laugh!
-kev-
ya no disrespect to anyone.....I use at&t and my pops loves his verizon....whatever floats your boat (no pun intended)
-kev-

beached1
09-19-2002, 02:45 PM
syke-o:
I agree, be nice to your neighbors because in wireless you never know what will happen. I survived the current downsizing of 3000 Cingular employees. So i never know who i might be working with, or for, in the near future.soo true bro. We may all be working for the same phone company some day the way everyones merging and all. The only thing constant in this business is change.

Lake_x
09-20-2002, 09:21 PM
All I know is my old OKI 1430 analog phone w/verizon was the shit . No dead spots or dropped calls at all. Worked anywhere metal buildings in the middle of BFE ......Now this digital service you hear about half the conversation & constant dropped call
on a v60c . Explain :mad: Beached 1

beached1
09-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Not real familiar with the phone you mentioned.
The old analog bag phones generally transmitted at around 4 watts. The Motorola brick phones TXed at about 1w. Nowadays, with the amount of subscribers on air and demand for more features, smaller phones, etc, carriers are forced to build more low powered cell sites and come up with smaller, more high tech phones. Your average digital cell phone TXs at less than .04w. This is also why you battery lasts longer on your dig phone than with your analog. Where an analog phone would get a weak signal and you might hear some static, a digital call is losing bits, or 1's and 0's of your encrypted voice. Their is system of parameters that the RF Engineers can set to where a call can not exceed beyoind a bit error rate. When it does, the switch will dump the call. Can you hear me now? :) It has been known for a long time that ATTWS sets theirs a little wider than Verizon does. In other words, Verizon should have better voice quality (on average. and when people say they don't it blows me away) than ATTWS but ATTWS will drop fewer calls and have better coverage.
Oh, yeah I almost forgot. CDMA or Verizon and Sprint phones TX at less power than TDMA/GSM or ATTWS and Cingular phones.
Hope this helps

snappertapper
09-23-2002, 03:32 AM
Go with Nextel

kcm21
09-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Snapper,
you must not have read everything so far......thanks for the input though!
-kev-