PDA

View Full Version : Prop recommendation?

stevebee
04-03-2002, 12:55 PM
I have a '97 2050SS Bayliner open bow w/ 5.7 2bbl carb (210 hp?, not sure) alpha1 gen 2 w/1.47 gears. I'm looking to buy a good stainless prop. I currently have an aluminum 19" that's beat up a bit (about 13.25" in diameter and dinged up). I do not exceed max rpm (4600) with this prop at full throttle. I'm worried that 14.25" x 19" stainless prop will be too much, not allowing high enough rpm at full throttle based on my experience with the old aluminum prop.
Any brand/model recommendations? Michigan Wheel's Rapture looks interesting (has ventilation hole for help with hole-shot). Should I go with a 14.25" x 19"?

Essex502
04-03-2002, 01:12 PM
Try to get the retailer where you are buying the prop to allow you to exchange it for another. Teague Marine did this we me. There only requirement is that I exchange it within 30 days of purchase (or exchange for seconds and thirds) and that there be no damage to the prop. Talk with the retailer about your boat and they should have good recommendation. Also, there are prop calculators on the internet you can use to kinda' get close.
Good luck!

gnarley
04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by stevebee:
I do not exceed max rpm (4600) with this prop at full throttle.
Is this due to a factory rev limit or red line? Or is it that the engine just won't turn any more RPM's?

stevebee
04-05-2002, 01:54 PM
According to the factory tach,I'm spinning 4600 rpm, and just will not go any more. As far as I know there is no rev limiter, as there is no computer, the setup is pretty basic. Seems like I'm outta power! Maybe a 4 barrel is in my future.

gnarley
04-05-2002, 02:46 PM
SB check with the builder if you don't have points in the Distributor then there must be an ignition module, and I doubt if a 97 year boat has points, that being said the ignition module may have a pre set rev limit, The manufacture is not going to just let you run any RPM you want or else they'd be putting in engines under warranty all the time. I would just about put money on it that your ignition has a built in rev limiter, and to change it will need to update it with one that allows more rpm but then with 210 HP you will need more power to turn the bigger prop.
Just my 2 cents

Bondo
04-06-2002, 08:21 AM
i picked up a L&S torque-shift prop on ebay,fully adjustable full pitch from 18" to 24".. starts at 11", punch the throttle, the motor pops to 4600rpm,+ stays there.. the prop shifts to where you've set the total pitch, for topend..my 4.3LX/starcraft islander(i know,not really a ***boat, but a Danm Hot fishing boat) will rip your head off your shoulders...little slip, No blow-out,i picked up gut wrenching acceleration,+ a couple mph top end.. i Love it...

stevebee
04-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Bondo - thanks a million for your tip about L&S torque shift props. I'm checking into their products now with much enthusiasm. Sounds almost too good to be true... Tons of low end grunt AND great top end! Anyone else have experience with these?