PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get a prop????

RiverToysJas
10-08-2002, 07:12 PM
My new career as an I/O owner will begin any day now. I'll need to get a "back-up" prop.
Where should shop for something like that?
While I have your ears....
What's the performance differances between three and four blade?
Thanks!!!! I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on....
RTJas :D

rivercrazy
10-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Im with ya bud. Where's the best place to get a spare.
3 blades from what I've heard are faster on the top end on most boats. Just lazy out of the hole and can blow out in turns
4 blades are better out of the hole and don't usually blow out in turns. They give you more lift and cruise at slower speeds at similar RPMS than a 3 blade. However, top end is usually less. They also have better load carrying capacity versus a 3 blader.
That's all I know.

Outnumbered
10-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Try e-bay. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and ask lots of questions if anything is unclear. I just bought a $500 prop for $150 plus shipping, mint condition.
Good Luck,
OL

kevnmcd
10-09-2002, 07:06 AM
It depends on what you want out of your boat. If you use your boat for pulling skiers, wakeboarders or tubes, I would go for a 4 blade. If you don't do any of those things and are looking for strikly top end speed go with a 3 blade.
Personally, I do a lot of wakeboarding on mine and had a lot of problems keeping it on plane while pulling with a 3 blade. When I switched to a 4 blade, it was night and day while pulling...hole shot is awesome, can toe a wakeboarder without ever falling off plane, and didn't really lose too much on the top end.
Just my .02

77charger
10-09-2002, 05:58 PM
jas from what i know is that a cleaver type usually is best for top speed but sucks down low prob a three blade will do.I am learning this too shush shush!

Super D
10-09-2002, 08:32 PM
I get my props from Overton's. If you're new to boating (or not), go to Overtons.com and order a catalog for free. All the stuff you'll ever need is there. Prices are good and they have an excellent return policy.

RiverToysJas
10-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys!
My boat is being delivered with a 22" that should pull very hard on the bottom end and midrange.
I think I'll find a 4-blade 24" and maybe talk Waterndog into letting me borrow his 25" 3 blade some afternoon, just to see what I can pull on the top end.

mike37
10-10-2002, 07:12 PM
RiverToysJas
My boat is being delivered with a 22" that should pull very hard on the bottom end and midrange.
I think I'll find a 4-blade 24" and maybe talk Waterndog into letting me borrow his 25" 3 blade some afternoon, just to see what I can pull on the top end.
if your geting a 22p thats a 4-blade
od numbers are 3 blade 21p 23p 25p
evin nubers are 4 blade 22p 24p 26p
how big is your boat if you have a big boat with
a lot of HP you dont want a 3blade

Rayhill
10-12-2002, 06:24 AM
I had good luck with Chad Hill Propellors "CHP".
He reccomended a 26" 4 blade. It swallowed my RPM. He swapped it with a 24" 4, no questions asked no $$$.

rivercrazy
10-12-2002, 08:10 AM
You can also get the Rev-4 4blade series props in odd numbered pitches. However the max pitch is 23

RiverDave2
10-12-2002, 03:35 PM
RiverToysJas:
My new career as an I/O owner will begin any day now. I'll need to get a "back-up" prop.
Where should shop for something like that?
While I have your ears....
What's the performance differances between three and four blade?
Thanks!!!! I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on....
RTJas :D Jason, I got ya covered in that dept.
RD

Throttle Up
10-22-2002, 07:42 AM
River Toys,
There are several options available to you. After you run the boat record the Full Throttle RPM's and top speed and then you can look at some of your options. Note the boats attitude with the current prop and we can make adjustments from there depending on you performance goals!
Throttle Up Propellers
www.throttle-up.com (http://www.throttle-up.com)

VitaminSea
10-23-2002, 01:52 PM
Jason, the three blade will give more top end but blows out real easy. I ran a three blade 23' when I had the 454-385 hp and it would blow out under heavy acceleration. I now put out 600 hp on 509 cubes and run a 4 blade Spinelli 26" cupped to a 27". It still blows out slightly on acceleration and I'm glad as it saves the drive. I have the rev. limiter set at 5100 and I dont notice any loss at top end. Go with the four blade, have it labbed and I think you will be more than happy. Welcome to the outdrive club. Cliff

RiverToysJas
10-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys! Lavey told me the 22" 4 blade is a good break-in prop. So I'm running this one for at least 20-50 hours. I'll record the top speed and RPM (though I'm told I'll be bumping the rev limiter with this prop) once the motor is broken in.
From talking to others, I think the 24" 4 blade will be my all around prop. I'll keep the 22 for heavy pulling weekends or skiing and tubing.
Waterndog is going to let me play with his 25" three blade sometime too, just to see what it'll do.
Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming!!!

HavasuBarney
10-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Try R&R Props out of Las Vegas.
Kevin Taylor is the owner and very cool guy.
When you buy a prop, or leave a deposit, he'll let you run as many as you want until you find the sweet one.
He will also dial it in for you.
702-564-7502