PDA

View Full Version : which drives will handle the hp

d schuttler
01-18-2003, 09:07 AM
have 99 27' checkmate currently 525sc with bravo 1. Upgrading to a engine that tested around 900 hp need suggestion on what stern drive will handle this. thanks

SteveDavid
01-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Hi,
It somewhat depends on the weight of your boat. The weight plus torque/HP is what destroys drives, not HP alone. (of course throttling has a huge impact as well, the wrong throttle technique behind a 502 MPI can wipe out an XR....) In your situation any Bravo style drive, be it IMCO extreme or XR will be beyond it's limits. The B Max is probably more capable of providing more trouble free hours at those HP levels. ($12,000 give or take) Of course the Merc #6 will eliminate almost all risk, except the cost including tranny is excess of $30,000 and changes the CG of your boat, etc. etc.
What would I do: Buy a B Max (call Dean Claussen at the Bravo Shop for further info, he's the builder) Throttle conservatively coming out of the hole, when getting air, pulling skiers, etc.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Boatlesss
02-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Buy an Arneson!
They are cheaper than your alternatives, they are faster, use less HP, last longer, come with a warranty, and they last!

dorC
02-10-2003, 10:55 AM
For merc stuff, I'd consider a #3 or #5. #6 would be the ultimate.

HavasuDreamin'
02-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Boatlesss:
Buy an Arneson!
They are cheaper than your alternatives, they are faster, use less HP, last longer, come with a warranty, and they last! But aren't very safe for kids who like to go tubing, sking, etc.
SteveDavid hit the nail on the head. :cool:

Boatlesss
02-10-2003, 08:46 PM
The drive is no longer than a Bravo. Saftey is a relative statement.
Most all boats have a swim platform over the drives nowdays, but, hey if you want to spend more $ go with the Bravo's

MANIC MECHANIC
02-11-2003, 07:49 PM
I would have to agre with SD. A #3 thru #6 would require moving the engine forward to accomadate a transmission. Also, the transom would have to be plugged,glassed over and recut for the chosen drive;non of these drives (Merc #3 thru #6 OR the Arnesen drive) are a direct replacement for the bravo relative to the transom cutout. Go with the B-MAX smile_sp

Boatlesss
02-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Although not a direct in terms of using the same holes, my neighnbor just purchased an Arnson kit conversion for his 87'emlaminator.
He did not have to plug any holes as the box covered the bravo transom.
He didn't spend the amount of money people are spending on the Bmax
he also did'nt have to move his engine forward.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-12-2003, 08:38 PM
OK let's simplify this a little more. I don't know the current price of a used arneson drive IF you could find one used; and would hate to speculate on the price of a new one. I happen to have a pair of #3 drives. I could, from what I have seen advertised, sell you one of them for about $12,000 USED! jawdrop Compare that to the price of a BMax and go from there. :rolleyes: Hope this helps. Tim

MANIC MECHANIC
02-12-2003, 08:38 PM
OK let's simplify this a little more. I don't know the current price of a used arneson drive IF you could find one used; and would hate to speculate on the price of a new one. I happen to have a pair of #3 drives. I could, from what I have seen advertised, sell you one of them for about $12,000 USED! jawdrop Compare that to the price of a BMax and go from there. :rolleyes: Hope this helps. Tim

MANIC MECHANIC
02-13-2003, 12:14 PM
OOPS!... that was $12,000 for a pair. (I went and found the ad.) Tim :)

DBM
02-13-2003, 04:20 PM
I have a B-max poker run Edition with about 10 Hrs on it, new cost $12,000. I'll take $8500.00 if your iterested.
Bravo shop says its good to 1000 HP

Boatlesss
02-16-2003, 07:05 PM
The ASD6 kit cost my friend around $15K new complete with transmission and all neccessary parts.
His engine stayed in the rear for/aft Bravo location of the boat unlike what would happen with the #3 drives and it requires less hp than the #3 also.
The Bmax, which is not the entire drive unit, cost nearly as much as the Arneson kit complete with tranny, drive line, standoff box, bellhousing, drive plate, helm unit and drive unit with external hydraulic steering.
Your #3's are used, require the tranom to be modified, engines to be re-located forward some distance, weigh far more, and use a good amount of HP to operate.
The Arneson kit was not a bad alternative to the high cost of Mercury outdrive repairs and high performance build ups that plague boates with high power engines.

obnoxious001
02-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Some of you may be underestimating the current versions of the IMCO drives. Give IMCO a call and ask them how they test their drives, and see if they don't think it would handle 900 hp. I personally know guys who are running them with high horsepower engines, including one 600 cu in turbo engine in a 24' Schiada with no drive problems after 2 years so far.

Freak
02-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Don't forget about Teague