PDA

View Full Version : re-locating shift linkage

wowchad
03-11-2003, 03:07 PM
I am changing to performance manifolds and will need to move the oil filter, no problem that goes on the transom, but where do I mount the shift linkage.
Do I need to fab. a bracket?
I'm thinking that goes onto the transom also but which side do they typically get moved to, the cables come from both sides!

DUCKY
03-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Mount it where ever you have enough cable to move it to. It does not have to remain vertical. two ideas are the inside of the stringer, and the floor next to the engine.

wowchad
03-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks DUCKY I never thought to put it so low, but the more out of the way the better!!
It sure will clean up the engine compartment just by not seeing that mess.
I'm usually on BANDERLOG, (jet boater by heart), and don't make it over this way, but where are all the stern drive guys?!?
This forum moves so slow, sleeping there's got to be more high performance stern drivers on HOT BOAT! What gives?
P.S. I can't post a stern drive question on BANDRLOG, those guys hate eggbeaters. When ever I go out with 'em I've got to dust off the jet boat and swallow hard at the pump :D
[ March 13, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: wowchad ]

DUCKY
03-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Unlike a v-drive or jet owner, I think the average stern-drive owner isn't a tech head, and is generally uncomfortable with opening their toolbox. They buy em, they break em, and pay people like myself to fix em.....

wowchad
03-14-2003, 07:22 AM
Yeah I guess it's easy to take for granted a 12pack and good friends! We stay at the shop once or twice a week and just wrench. Boats, cars, trucks, four wheelers...
Half the fun of owning the stuff is the gratification of fixing it or beefing it up!!
Anyhow thanks for the tip on the shift linkage.
If you need any cables or stainless steel linkages drop me a line, 800-558-8730 or check out our company web site www.tewco.com. (http://www.tewco.com.)
We custom make, same day, Cablecraft cables.
They are like Morse red jackets but the bend radius is HALF our competition. They really are the best cables in the industry, from bend radius to our sealing capabilities.
Were not real strong in the marine market because we don't do stern drive or outboard steering cables, but on standard push pull we build 'em all day every day!
Later, Chad

jim lee
04-28-2003, 09:52 AM
You know, I'd have no problem at all if you posted stern drive questions on Banderlog. Be a little tactfull, let them get used to the idea.
-jim lee

XTRM22
04-28-2003, 05:21 PM
I enjoy wrenching on the toys too, but honestly in 315 hours my 454 and bravo drive haven't needed much. I know with my friends that have em it's either don't need much wrenching or when they do break it's catastrophic, ie blown engines or drives. I just put a set of Imco powerflows on my DCB and I wasn't crazy about the bracket that imco welds to the riser so I fabbed up a little aluminum plate to move the linkage a little higher and further forward but still up on top of the engine. Good luck with your project.
Chuck