PDA

View Full Version : Trim/Tilt switch on Alpha 1

kevnmcd
05-15-2002, 10:22 AM
On a '92 Alpha 1 w/mercruiser control on the handle there are two switches - one on the outside and one on the inside. The inside (thumb side) one for trim (which moves the drive up/down slowly) is not working. The inside one for tilt (which moves the drive up/down fast) is working. The question is this....do these switches work the same hydraulic pump or different ones? Could the problem just be electrical in the switch? Could it be fluid if they run diffent pumps? If they run the same pump, does it harm anything to just use the tilt switch? Any suggestions would be helpful. This is on buddy's boat and I am not familiar with the mercruiser setup.
Kevnmcd

stressedout
05-15-2002, 10:42 AM
There is only one pump.The problem is probaly in the switch in the handle. It won't hurt anything to use the tilt side of the switch, just be careful not to over trim.

kevnmcd
05-16-2002, 08:20 AM
Stressedout-are you able to just replace the switch or do you have to do the whole handle?

stressedout
05-16-2002, 09:00 AM
As far as I can remember, you can get just the switch. Before you replace it, check it with a test light. You might just try cleaning the contacts.

kevnmcd
05-16-2002, 12:10 PM
Thanks...We'll check it out this weekend!
Kevnmcd

LiquidCourage
06-11-2002, 08:42 AM
I would clean the contacts. I just had the same problem and that fixed them. Afterwards, I coated them with liquid tape to seal them and prevent further corrosion.
Good luck.