PDA

View Full Version : Bravo III vs. Bravo I drive

bwcurry
06-11-2002, 06:41 PM
I just bought a used 2001 28' Advantage Party Cat that has a Bravo III drive with a 502 EFI and a Whipple Charger. The Bravo III is running 1.50 gears and 24 pitch props. The whipple is set up with 6 lbs boost and is advertised to make +/- 640 hp. Prior to my purchasing the boat, the Bravo III drive has been rebuilt twice before at Alco Marine in Havasu City because it self destructed itself (gears, shafts, etc.) The last rebuild included all XR gears, shafts and supposedly all the best parts. The boat only ran about 68 mph empty with this set up and 60 mph fully loaded. Not impressive at all.
HERE IS MY PROBLEM: The outdrive self destructed a 3rd time last weekend while I was getting the boat on plane. After talking to many shops today, I am being advised that the Bravo III drive will not take the HP I have, and that a Bravo I (either Teague Platinum or IMCO Extreme) are the only solutions.
I am seeking opinions on which outdrive is best, and how the boat might perform: top speed and getting on plane.

SUPERCREWJOHN
06-13-2002, 09:13 AM
Like Duh!! Just kidding. Blown drives really suck. I think Bravo Shop may make some stronger gimbels and shafts for it. You may have to switch to a Bravo that has been "Built" Also, blowers & stock drives dont mix. The torque at low RPM breaks the drives..
Also, I have to ask why are you trying to make a dragster out of the " Family Truckster" Do not take me wrong here about he Party Cat, it is just that is designed to be a big people mover and not necessarily a high speed preformer..
I think I may back the blower down a few PSI as well ..I know less HP, but if it saves the drive and you can run all weekend then I would think it would be worth the change http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
Good luckk

DesertDog
06-14-2002, 06:47 PM
I'd check with the Advantage factory.They would have the speed numbers for that boat with various horsepower ratings.
There was a test in ***boat about 3 or 4 years ago of the 28 Party Cat with a Merc 600SC motor and I believe it ran mid 80's.Check with ***boat for a back issue.

Trash
06-19-2002, 10:36 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe most B3s had 2.0:1 gears or something in that neighborhood. If you have a 1.5 set as you stated, what about trying a 2.0 set with perhaps a 26 inch prop set? This may unload parts of the drive that are giving way. I guess the analogy I would use is to think about starting out real fast on a 10 speed bike in top gear. Kind of hard on the parts. If you drop it to first its a little easier on everything concerned. I know there are speed trade offs and this analogy is a little simplistic, but changing up an inch or two in pitch may recoup some speed. I's also be curious as to what RPM you are turning at WOT.