PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 noise

Riverhound
03-23-2003, 04:22 PM
When idling along if I turn the wheel all they way to lock I get a knocking sound from the drive. It sounds like maybe the u-joints are binding up or something of that nature.
Any suggestions?

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Sounds like u-joints to me (first hand experience). Any water get in there?

Riverhound
03-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Nope no water

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Probably the u-joint. If it is, you should be able to duplicate it by raising the drive a little (same degrees as the turn angle), and running the engine.

Riverhound
03-24-2003, 12:06 PM
HH,
Is this a precursor to the u-joints failing?
Thanks For your help. :D

Riverhound
03-24-2003, 05:13 PM
RD,
Thanks for the feed back.
The drive was off in January for the motor swap and they replaced the Gimble(sp?) bearing and serivced it. I would have thought if the u-joints were going bad they would have recomended I change them. More $$$ in their pocket.
I put in a call to the shop that did the work. I'll have to see what they say.

TCHB
04-19-2003, 06:17 PM
I have been in a couple of boats and have heard the same noise. I think now I am listening for the noise everytime I take a ride. I talked to a friend with a bravo 1 drive and he said the noise has been there for 3 years with no problems.

Zuumer
04-21-2003, 04:14 PM
RH,
There are shutter's in the exhaust tubes at the ends just before the rubber exhaust hose connects to the y pipe or the thru transom exhaust tubes. These have a nasty rattle that sound just like a U joint about to disintegrate. Most notable at idle and goes away as RPM increases. This may be the situation. One way to check is to start the engine and put your hand on the riser just before the exhaust hose. If it's the shutters rattling, you'll feel the vibration in the exhaust riser tube.
If it ONLY happens during a turn then I agree that it's most likely a U joint.
Good Luck :cool: :cool: