PDA

View Full Version : How much HP for Alpha 1

Slick
06-06-2001, 02:09 PM
A friend of mine just blew the 6cyl in his 26' playcraft pontoon. He may have access to a brand new Mercruiser 6.0 ltr small block that's being pulled out of a 2002 something or other. The engine is rated at 350hp. What is the maximum amount of hp that can be put to an Alpha drive? What types of precautions should he take if he chooses to go this rought rather than replacing the 4.3liter. I know you've probably never heard of the 6.0, but I guess it's new for 2002 or something like that. Is it doable for a Alpha drive?
Thanks
Slick

Havasu Hangin'
06-06-2001, 03:43 PM
I posted this for the 350 MAG question as well.
In my (limited) experience, I've noticed that the number one thing that will kill an outdrive is a loose nut on the steering wheel.
I've heard that the generally accepted rule is that around 300 horses may be pushing it.
You can pump some horsepower (and torque) through an Alpha 1, just be reasonable on the throttle, and check your bellows regularly. It doesn't hurt to store the drive it in the "down" position.
I'll shut up now.

1BIGJIM
06-06-2001, 04:36 PM
Mercruiser put big blocks behind the alpha before the Bravo series. Pre 1988. I know a person who has a 502 behind a Alpha drive. I could not beleave it but he says you start off slow and do not punch it. If this 6.0 something engine is not a marine engine (I have not heard of one) remember the cam and exhaust....

diligaf
06-08-2001, 05:31 AM
MERC and volvo both replaced the very old, but reliable 7.4L with these new engines. they make good horsepower, but do not have nearly the torque the 7.4 had. As for the alpha 1, I believe they are rated to 260 horsepower... My guess is that the new motor would chew it up in a short amount of time.. There would be a lot more torque with the new engine. Why not get a NEW 5.0 or 5.7 with 240 or 260 hp, would be a major upgrade from the 6 cylinder and not beat up his boat as badly.. just a thought..

MaddMan
06-10-2001, 10:15 PM
I'll expand on what Diligaf said...why not build a prepped 4.3...you can get lots of goodies for them...then you could increase your HP nominally, yet boost your RPM a lot, which would give you better top end, but the HP would stay within the ranges for the A1...then you could prop down for holeshot, and the motor would turn up enough to keep your top end up. Just a thought...Good Luck!!
Dave

Slick
06-12-2001, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the help guys. The motor is a brand new Mercruiser Marine Version of the Chevy 6.0ltr truck engine. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think my buddy can pick up this motor, brand new, fully accessorised for around $3k. Not a bad deal. I think as long as he beefs up the gears and lays off the hard starts he should be okay. Anyway, thanks again.
Slick