PDA

View Full Version : Winterize in So Cal?

Super D
10-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Ok - perhaps a lame question, but does anyone out there in So Cal winterize their boats? What steps do you perform in the off season?
Thanks for your input. :confused:

jet496
10-28-2002, 10:16 PM
That's not a lame question. I winterize every year here in San Diego. I put a sweatshirt under the drivers seat in case it gets a little chilly. Usually happens around Christmas. It'll get in the 60's sometime.
Gotta love it. http://smilies.networkessence.net/otn/funny/fruit.gif
[ October 28, 2002, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: jet496 ]

WILD LAVEY
10-28-2002, 11:18 PM
didnt know there was an off season in so cal, let alone winter? :p :D

Havasu Hangin'
10-29-2002, 08:15 AM
A guy I know in Lancaster froze his block...
For me, some Sta-Bil and octane booster in the tanks, put the drive down to save the bellows, and I just fire her up once in awhile.

SchellSchock
10-29-2002, 10:10 AM
jet496.....
LMAO...
I to winterized here in San Diego...
Added 2 small 12v heaters under consoles....
get's real chilly here down to 50 last year,(at night that is)..GRIN

burning cole
10-29-2002, 01:26 PM
It is not a stupid question. If there is water in the gas it can evaporate into the card and cause a ton of problems. Also Springs and Valves will get hurt. You should always store your boat correctly even though it does not get cold. Having any engine that you care about sit for more then 3 or 4 months is not a good thing.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
burning cole:
Having any engine that you care about sit for more then 3 or 4 months is not a good thing.Who goes that long in So. Cal without using their boat????
And WTF is winter? :p

Reaper1
10-29-2002, 02:41 PM
I did wear a sweatshirt in Havasu over the weekend. :D

boatnam2
10-29-2002, 03:32 PM
i lived in so cal just about my whole life but moved up to hesperia,ca for a few years.to make a long story short did not know about winterizing and ended up with craked motor cracked headS cracked manifolds,etc"etc".most exspensive lesson i ever learned.well maybe not the most exspensive,there was that time i was hot rodding my buddies dads mercury marquis in the mud and hit a pole and ripped the whole rear end off.

Reaper1
10-29-2002, 03:38 PM
boatnam2:
i lived in so cal just about my whole life but moved up to hesperia,ca for a few years.to make a long story short did not know about winterizing and ended up with craked motor cracked headS cracked manifolds,etc"etc".most exspensive lesson i ever learned.well maybe not the most exspensive,there was that time i was hot rodding my buddies dads mercury marquis in the mud and hit a pole and ripped the whole rear end off.My Grandfather lives in Hesperia and I have actually seen it snow there. Must be the high desert.

superV
11-01-2002, 07:16 AM
Reaper1:
boatnam2:
i lived in so cal just about my whole life but moved up to hesperia,ca for a few years.to make a long story short did not know about winterizing and ended up with craked motor cracked headS cracked manifolds,etc"etc".most exspensive lesson i ever learned.well maybe not the most exspensive,there was that time i was hot rodding my buddies dads mercury marquis in the mud and hit a pole and ripped the whole rear end off.My Grandfather lives in Hesperia and I have actually seen it snow there. Must be the high desert.I grew up in that area still have a home there and yes it snows every year a couple time for sure!

TCHB
11-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Change the oil (removes all contaminates)
Add a gas additive to stablize the fuel
Put outdrive down to get the pressure off everthing.
lube all fittings to insure all moisture is out.
Start engine and blow out water in exaust 5 seconds.