PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Maxflow EFI Power Pack, Anyone?

Laveyman
09-04-2000, 06:10 PM
I've got a 99 Lavey 24 NuEra. It has a 454 Mag MPI with Imco exhaust in it. (See photo in the March 99 Hot Boat, Stern Drive Tech section) After reading the answer by Tyler Crockett, the general consensus from everyone is that he wants to sell me one of his engines. I have since also ruled out a supercharger after having a serious reality check talk with our mechanic at Quality performance Marine.
They recomend installing the Vortech Maxflow EFI Power Pack for a boost in performance without sacrificing reliability and warranties. Has anyone installed one of these packages? What type of results did you get from it?

IBOATFAST
09-06-2000, 06:13 PM
I have a 385hp 454mag and did some mods. You should check out what Arizona Speed & Marine has to offer. Intake & ECU

bje767
09-27-2000, 02:05 PM
I have a 1999 Shockwave 25' with 502 mag and have installed a Whipplecharger. It now has over 50 hours on it and has been turn key with no problems at all. I gained an easy 10-12mph and fuel consumption below 3000rpm did not change. This is with stock exhaust, with your Imco's you will probably see close to 15mph gain.

baja 272
09-29-2000, 05:26 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about the whipplecharger. How long did it take to install? Does your engine run much hotter now? I initially was thinking Procharger, but I heard that the fuel pumps are going bad with them and their customer support is terrible. Whipple told me that I will have to switch to low water pickups in the drive for cooling at high speed. Are you also running low water pickups? How is your drive holding up with the increase in power at low rpm?

Laveyman
10-05-2000, 01:08 AM
IBOATFAST...
What type of mods did you do to your 454 mag? What difference, if any did it make? Cost?!?
A few months ago I spoke with AZ Speed about intake, cam, ECU, and roller rocker upgrades. Of course, they promised the world when asked how much speed I would be able to gain. It's always good to hear realistic results from someone who's not trying to sell ya something!

IBOATFAST
10-05-2000, 05:52 PM
Laveyman, I had arizona speed and marine re-calibrate my ECU and I also purchased there short runner intake manifold. With these mods, gil exaust and a K&N air filter. I should have about 450hp. I am still trying differant props, but there was a great increase in power after this was completed. The motor performs totally differant than it did befor. I have more low, mid, and top in power. I am hoping to hit 70mph at 5300rpm with a lab finished 24p bravo 1 prop. The cost of the parts were ECU 250.00, intake 600.00, gil exhaust 2100.00, and K&N air filter 200.00. If you have any more question you can e-mail me at IBOATFAST@AOL.com

bje767
10-13-2000, 01:37 PM
It took me about 8 hours to install but i am an expeirienced mechanic. The engine runs at 105 degrees now as you have to take out the thermostat during installation. I do not have low water pickups and after a full season (50+ hours)I have not had one problem. Mt only future plans are a set of Imco Powerflows and a lab finished 30" Bravo one.