PDA

View Full Version : tilt qs

sonoma123
12-31-2002, 06:06 AM
I'm hoping some kind sole will shed some light on a tilt issue. I have just purchased my first boat with an outdrive (previously owned jets only). I bought it from a guy that bought it from a church auction. Therefore there is not much info on it. The engine runs fine and outdrive engages but the tilt mechanism does not push down the drive. I have read the book and unfortunately it keeps calling for a hydraulic pressure tester that I of course do not have. I was wondering if there were any further tests that I can do to determine what might be wrong before I give up and spend my last few dollars at the boat shop having them go through it. Things I have already tried. Checked fluid level, seemed OK but without being able to put the cylinders down I could not get an accurate level. I removed the cylinders from the outdrive and the drive moves up and down by hand fine, seems to rule out a frozen U-joint. I removed the hydraulic lines from the cylinders and attempted to press them in by hand, they did not move in. I either donÂ’t have the strength to push them in or they are the problem. I removed the retaining collar and pulled the shaft out and everything looked good inside (as far as I could tell). No water or corrosion was present. The hydraulic motor runs and seems to labor after a second or two in the up direction but runs seemingly under no pressure in the down direction. There was some talk in the book about hotwiring the pump to determine if the problem is possibly electrical. My question is if it were electrical would the pump run at all? A faulty reverse, limiter, or ??? switch, I would think, would not allow the pump motor to run. As for the specifications. It is a 260 Mercruiser and the book seemed to make me think it was a low pressure system as indicated by an "A" stamped on the pump. The trim cylinders have to hydraulic lines and I have no idea about the rest. I know I have my work cut out for me but I love my projects. If there is more info needed I would love to furnish it. Thanks for all the anticipated help. http://members.aol.com./libames/b1.jpg

1stepcloser
12-31-2002, 11:56 AM
sonoma 123:
I removed the hydraulic lines from the cylinders and attempted to press them in by hand, they did not move in. I either don’t have the strength to push them in or they are the problem. [/b] If the hydaulic lines are removed from the rams, the shaft should freely move in or out. Most likely they will need to be disassembled and repaired.
A couple of things to check would be
the oil itself. it can, over time, coagulate and become near solid.
Look for some type of device over the shaft that would prevent it from collapsing.

Indyblackhawk
01-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Start with the basics! Make sure that the oil reservoir has enough oil in in. (donÂ’t fill it with the cylinders extended, just add enough to retract the cylinders - usually the pump will have a high pitched grindy sound) It might seem hard to believe, but low oil will cavitate the pump and it may not build enough pressure to retract the cylinders.
Also, in the picture it does appear that you have trailer clips installed on the trim rams.
Otherwise, just like 1step indicated, you may have to rebuild the cyclinders and/or the pump. I have had to do both of these a couple of times and it is not a bad job.
Hope this helps, if not I can pull the manual and send you a copy.
[ January 01, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Indyblackhawk ]

Tinkerer
01-02-2003, 06:45 PM
If they are the old style cylinders with both lines going into one end. If you blow an internal seal the rams will extend but not retract.