PDA

View Full Version : Land & Sea Shift prop

Jim Nichols
05-20-2001, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a great prop, but alot of money. Can anybody give me some feed back. I have an 18' Sea Ray with 260, current prop is stainless 14 1/4" X 20, top speed about 53 @ 4600. Little sluggish out of hole.

Andy
05-24-2001, 08:41 AM
Jim,
I own a Baja 190ES with a 4.3L LX Mercruiser.
This is a deep-V hull, closed bow, actual overall length is 20.5 feet.
It came with a 19" or 21" aluminum prop and was slow out of the hole and top speed was 53-54 mph at 4800 RPM.
I had the opportunity to borrow a Torque- Shift prop and was so happy I spent the big bucks to buy one. The boat is much quicker out of the hole and top speed is 1-2 MPH better. If you ski you should notice an unbelieveable difference. The boat used to struggle pulling me up on one ski but now I can do the "jump off the dock" routine.
I do have have a couple of things to relay about using the prop.
It can be tuned in several ways (spring strength, blade type, cam profile, maximum pitch) so if you decide to order one, give Land and Sea as much detail as you can about your boat so they can put the right pieces together for you. I had to order a different set of cams because the prop wasn't shifting quickly enough and the motor would over-rev coming up on plane.
Since the prop is tuneable expect to spend a little bit of time with it getting it just right for your boat.
Another thing to know is the prop requires a bit of positive trim and speed to upshift. I've found this to sometimes be a problem in very rough water. This is a minor thing and I could probably make it better by tuning it a bit more. The prop I borrowed seemed to upshift quicker than the one I bought,this is why I think it's a tuning problem.
Ive found the people at Land and Sea to be great to work with. I used to have a Hydrostream Viper with a 1500XS and they were always willing to offer assistance with parts, repairs, and advice.
I've had this prop for 5 years and have been very happy with it. There are a lot of four blade props out there now and you may get some feedback about those but I've got to think you'll be happy with the Torque-Shift if you buy it.
Andy

Jim Nichols
05-24-2001, 03:18 PM
Andy, thanks for the feed back. Looks like you may have cost me $899, but money well spent. It's nice to hear that Land & Sea is a good company to work with. I'll let you know how it worked out. Have a safe and hot summer!

regattaJim
06-14-2001, 05:39 PM
i have one on a 21'searay..... 260hp smallblock.... max pitch set at 23..... shifts good.....boat weighs about 3300lbs.....54mph on gps..... and about 2 gallons to the mile... but lots of fun