PDA

View Full Version : BRAVO 1 UPGRADES

fountainfred
06-26-2001, 06:34 PM
I HAVE A 96 38 FOUNTAIN WITH 502'S AND BRAVO OUTDRIVES. MY QUESTION IS I WANT TO BUILD MOTORS TO APPROX 700HP AND AM TOLD BRAVOS WILL NOT HOLD UP. LOCAL MARINE SHOP SUGGESTS
UPGRADING TO NEW BRAVO XR'S OR GO AFTERMARKET LIKE TEAGUE MARINE TO UPGRADE
EXISTING DRIVES. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD HELP

Havasu Hangin'
06-26-2001, 07:06 PM
I believe Bravos are good up to 500HP. Right ponpon?
Teague or Imco can upgrade your drive to 700HP-proof. Those XR's are very expensive- probably cheaper and stronger to upgrade. Better check the price and performance of both options.

Craig
06-28-2001, 09:58 AM
None of the aftermarket B1 drives are bullet proof, even with 600 horse. Friend has about that in a 270 Carrera Cyclone with a complete Teague drive. Blew the upper gears out of it last weekend. It's a lot about how you drive the boat, getting on plane, load, flying the boat etc. The aftermarket stuff seems to break almost as much as the stock stuff. I put 100 hrs on a stock B1 with 697 horsepower. Drives fine, blew the engine http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Craig

MrHavasuCat
07-03-2001, 07:08 AM
Go with the xr. I am running an xr upper and teague lower with about 800 hp w/ no problems. I know of several boats that broke after market drives from teague, imco, and the bravo shop. Most of these boats were running 740 hp teague motors. Since the xr's became available these boats are able to keep the drives together. I think the upper gear case of the xr is better than anything available aftermarket.

28heatspeed
07-15-2001, 04:50 PM
I have a 28 heat with a blown 510(dyno to 725hp) and i just threw a bravo 1 with 1.36 gears. I was shifting into gear but i guess the rpms werent down enough and i broke the clutch cone(well at least i hope that is all..it is getting taken apart to find out more...is there anyway i can make this outdrive stronger...is there any drive that can handle this type of hp efficciently