PDA

View Full Version : How do you wire an amp for 6 or more speaker?

sigepmock
02-19-2004, 10:02 AM
OK, I know this might sound dumb, but how do you wire an amp to power more than 4 speakers? I have installed a few car systems with amps but never more than 4 speakers. I got a boat and I want to run at least six speakers plus a sub. So I use the sub pre-out for the sub and it's amp but what about the rest? Do I need a six channel amp? or do I daisy-chain amps together?
I have a couple of ideas how to but just wanted to ask the pro's(that's you guys). Thanks

rivercrazy
02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
In my opinion, the best way to go is one of the following scenarios.
*One seperate class D subwoofer amplifer just for subs.
*Two 2-channel amps that are 2 ohm stable. Wire 4 speakers to one amp wired in a parallel configuration (2 ohm load). Wire the other 2 speakers to the the other (4 ohm load).
One seperate class D subwoofer amplifer just for subs.
*One 4 channel amp. Wire up 4 speakers.
*One two channel amp. Wire up 2 speakers.

ROZ
02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
If you have a 4 channel amp that can run in 2,3,or 4 channel modes(most can), then you can run one pair of speakers from the front channels, and 2 pair of the same speaker of the rear channels. Optimum is what RC wrote, but if budget, space, and wiring are of conern this will work.
EDIT: Connecting amps:
Power and ground connections are made through a distribution center.
RCA connections are made from your deck. Given the number of amps or preouts you have from your head unit, you may need a crossover to divide the signal from one to two or more outputs. Some amps have preouts as well. This enables you to basically daisy chain them through the RCA's.
Remote turn on switch. This is a very low current connection that may not work if you have 2 or more amps. A relay is needed in this case.

rivercrazy
02-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Budgets suck! :D :D

ROZ
02-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Budgets suck! :D :D
I don't want to talk about it... :(

sigepmock
02-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I am gonna use a RF 501bd and a single 12" in a sealed box in the drivers feet storage compartment(under dash area, sorry don't know what it's called on a boat). I have limited space so I think I can squeeze four 5 1/4" components speakers up high, one by the each of the front seats and one on each side of the rear bench seat. Then I think I can fit 1 set of 2 or 3 way 6x9's down low under the rear bench seat and one set of 6x9's up front in the open bow below the seats. I think I will use the daisy chain approach and use one four channel amp for the 5 1/4's and one for the 6x9's. Any suggestions on speakers and amps, I have always had good luck with Fosgates but I'm open to suggestions. I saw someone recommend Infinity Kappas. I really only want to install this thing once and not have to replace pieces every couple of months, so reliability is key but I am also on somewhat of a budget. Thanks again.
Chris

rivercrazy
02-19-2004, 01:03 PM
If you want a portable bacon or cheeseburger cooker go with the Fosgates! They run pretty hot these days! :D :D :D
The amps that top my list are Phoenix Gold, JL Audio, JBL Power Series and the new BPX and PX series, Zapco, etc....
One thing to remember about amps is that you cannot distiguish sound quality among brands. They all will sound virtually the same if the gain structure, crossover, etc are set up the same. To me the most imporant thing is reliability and build quality. You can get both for very reasonable prices if you do your research.

Mr. Naudio
02-23-2004, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rivercrazy
[B]In my opinion, the best way to go is one of the following scenarios.
*One seperate class D subwoofer amplifer just for subs.
*Two 2-channel amps that are 2 ohm stable. Wire 4 speakers to one amp wired in a parallel configuration (2 ohm load). Wire the other 2 speakers to the the other (4 ohm load).
Although just because an amp is stable.Dose not mean it would be good to run at that load.(in a boat)For power consumption or heat reasons.If amp is big enough would run in series.Will play much longer and not get near as hot.
Of course if the amp is stable to 1 ohm then its also prob,still efficient enough at 2 ohm.
And somtimes reading isnt good enough so Ill just say somthing for the sake of saying it.

ROZ
02-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rivercrazy
[B]If amp is big enough would run in series.Will play much longer and not get near as hot.
Of course if the amp is stable to 1 ohm then its also prob,still efficient enough at 2 ohm.
And somtimes reading isnt good enough so Ill just say somthing for the sake of saying it.
So you like to hear yourself talk , do you? ;) ( refers to your last phrase...) I can help but charge 250hr..... So tell me, What's troubling you? :D
Series = 8 ohms depending on the speakers... You're right, you'd need a BIG amp to make enough power to make it worth it...
Pretty soone we'll all be running full range class D amps...
Eclipse introduced one today...
MB quart released it's full range mono a couple months ago...
http://www.kwicherbichen.com/mb/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=872

rivercrazy
02-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Yup. It would take a heck of an amp to drive 6 speakers. Most speakers these days are rated for at least 75 watts RMS. So if you want to get the most out of them, shooting for 100 watts RMS per speaker is a good rule of thumb. So it would take quite an amp to power those 6 speakers at 100 watts RMS each. But it can be done!

77charger
02-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Budgets suck! :D :D UH roz takes care of that!:) :) :) My system was on a budget and i can say i got one hell of a system(well alot more than what i expected):D :D

phuggit
02-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Don't worry sigep. You wont be able to hear your tunes over my exhaust anyways...lol

sigepmock
02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey Phuggit.....You're gonna have to take it nice and slow for a while until the miss' Bolt Ons heal......so I'm gonna need some tunes to listen to while I wait for you to catch up. :yuk:
Maybe I should actually get the boat home before I start talking trash???? oh well.
Thanks for all the good info guys. Here's the plan Fosgate 501bd, Fosgate HE2 12" sub, dual 4 ohm voice coils(wired in parrallel), Pheonix Gold Octane R -4 channel amp, Kenwood head unit( I think I will add a Music Keg later).
Now for the speakers, I'm stuck on this one....
(6) Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" Components, I want these but a little expensive
or how about the Polk 6500db components? Any comments?
Thanks again.

ROZ
02-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by sigepmock
Now for the speakers, I'm stuck on this one....
(6) Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" Components, I want these but a little expensive
Thanks again.
You should be able to find the 6.1 perfects online for around 240.00 per pair... MAP is 400.00

rivercrazy
02-24-2004, 12:46 PM
If you had your heart set on the Infinities, you might also consider the Kappa 60.5cs. They also sound great. They are quite a bit cheaper than the 6.5 Perfects and the tweet is a little smoother. You might as STV Keith for his opinion on the 60.5cs's.

sigepmock
02-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks again guys for the info.
I think I read that someone worked at the Ontario Mills Al & Eds?
I live in Rancho Cucamonga and was thinking about heading down to talk options and start buying pieces. Who should I talk to?

rivercrazy
02-24-2004, 01:50 PM
I would start with ROZ. He works for Tweeter. He has taken outstanding care of so many people on these boards I lost count:D

ROZ
02-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by sigepmock
Thanks again guys for the info.
I think I read that someone worked at the Ontario Mills Al & Eds?
I live in Rancho Cucamonga and was thinking about heading down to talk options and start buying pieces. Who should I talk to?
If you 'd like to deal with Al and Ed's, Bill (Riverbound) is the manager of the Ontario store:
Al& Eds atuosound
880 n rochester suiteA
ontario ca 91764
(909)481-8411
Bill Kean

sigepmock
02-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Hey ROZ, where are you located? Sounds like your the man to talk to first.

ROZ
02-25-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm at the Vista Regional office, but we have stores in Costa Mesa, Chino, and Riverside...