PDA

View Full Version : Whipple for the 7.4L MPI

Hammer21
01-15-2002, 05:23 PM
I have a stock 7.4L MPI with 90hrs. Like most, I want to go faster and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck! Whipple makes a nice kit for around $5,500, boasting about 150% increase in HP. Before I make this investment I had a few concerns. Is this a stupid idea that will cause an untimely death for my 7.4 (whipple says no)?
Would I be better off in the long run by putting that money toward a naturally aspirated 502 to get similar HP gain?
Bolt on HP is nice, but not if it only lasts one season.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

carreraboat
01-19-2002, 07:23 AM
GO WHIPPLE

Bill in Las Vegas
01-19-2002, 01:49 PM
I have a HTM SR24 with a 454 mag mpi and a Whipple running 6lb's of boost. I have 260 hr's and it alway's starts easy and runs smooth. The power and torque is incredible compared to stock. Talk to Dustin at Whipple and you will be pleased. I have had great luck and service. If you need any fine tuning they have a local lake and will help you get fine tuned. Great product and great service.Example original MPH 64 after the Whipple 87 MPH.

Cat & Mice
01-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Whipple for sure. I would not be worried about engine life unless you plan on running more boost then they recomend. I have installed many Whipple Kits and have not had one engine problem. They really know what they are doing.
If you don't have a good shop you are working with then give me a call, I will see if I can help.
Pyle

Kansas 28 Eagle
01-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Hey Mike, saw your boat in Hot Boat...looks great, must be a blast! I would get on their asses for no color shots however...BTW: I sent you an e-mail a while back regarding mods on a 28 Elim eagle..if you have some time could you send me a few tips you learned from yours? Thanks

27 warlock
01-25-2002, 09:56 AM
I have a similar setup and was considering the same , my concern is will my stock outdrive hold up to the increase in TQ that the whipple produces

Cat & Mice
01-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Kansas 28, Thanks,
no I did not see your email. I get over 40 messegas a day so some get missed, Usally I see the boat one's.
Anyway what is it you would like to know??
27 Warlock, My 28 Eagle had a 502 w/Whipple and a stock Bravo 1, I had now problems and I think the boat has almost 200 hrs on it now with no problems.
You can see pics of the boat @ http://www.pyleperformance.com/photogallery/28eagle/
Pyle

Bill in Las Vegas
01-26-2002, 07:30 AM
27 Warlock. I have a HTM Sr24 with a 454 Mag mpi and a Whipple running 6 lb's of boost. I know have 270 hrs. The only mods I have are on the heads by changing the bolts to studs,some porting,Crane rollers and Felpro Gaskets.If you have stock exhaust you need to replace the plastic water fitting with metal ones that you can get from Teaque. Original MPH 67 top's know high 80's spinning a 26,4 blade.I have a shower on the drive and run Amsoil synthetic with no problems.Change this oil with every engine oil change.EX.25-30 hrs. People who have the most problems are the ones trying to drag race these larger boats from a dead stop.Don't do it with Whipple or Procharger becouse you will break something in the link.Once your boat roll's over you can let it run.You will be shocked at how much better your boat will run.My experience with my Whipple is solid acceleration with no flat spots from plane to the top end. It always starts immediately and idle's smooth around the dock's. The service at Whipple is great. Do it and you will be happy.