PDA

View Full Version : Good Subs

rvrjunkie
04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
DEAR EXPERTS I NEED TO PURCHASED TWO OR THREE 10 INCH SUBS. THEY WILL GO IN THE BASE OF MY BACK SEAT. THE BASE IS ABOUT 12 INCHES HIGH. IT IS YOUR TYPICAL BACK SEAT MADE OUT OF WOOD FOR STORAGE. I WILL HOOK UP A 600-800 WATT AMP TO THEM.WHICH ONES WOULD WORK BEST FOR THIS SET UP.ALSO TWO 6X9 WILL BE GOING IN THE BASE. SHOULD THEY BE MARINE GRADE SINCE PEOPLE WILL BE GETTING IN AND OUT OF THE BOAT WET.THANK YOU.

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2004, 04:13 AM
How deep is the pedestal?
Are you gonna build a box for the subs?

rvrjunkie
04-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
How deep is the pedestal?
Are you gonna build a box for the subs?
Not sure how deep the seat is.The boat is not done yet. It is probably a 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep. Not going to build a box unless I need to.

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Subs need a specific box internal volume to function properly. Different subs have different box requirements, and will vary whether you want to go ported or sealed. Most subs will allow you to be 10% off one way or the other...but that's it.
That's why it's VERY important to have all the dimensions of the pedestal.
As for boxing the subs (in addition to the box requiements above), you can't put subs in the same airspace as your 6x9's- they will beat the 6x9's to hell (that's the technical term).
Also, the pedestal will need to be sealed (no storage access) to work properly. If you build it properly now...it'll save you a bunch of headaches later.

riverbound
04-05-2004, 12:19 PM
If you want to do it right, build a box for the woofers, If you are not going to build a box I have seen guys use jl w0 woofers and rockford p1 subs. You will get much more output by putting you woofers in an enclosure, and you will not blow subs as easily.
Do not let the 6x9's share airspace with the woofers. You dont have to use marine speakers just make sure you get something with a poly cone and rubber surrounds. We usually use the eclipse 6x9's.

rvrjunkie
04-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Thank you. Like always you guys are a big help. I think the boat will be going to a shop for the tunes.

ROZ
04-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Rj, I like how you start your paragraph off with "Dear Experts"...lol
Maybe HH should syndicate this forum. Afterall, he does have the trademark on welcoming newbies to the boards :D

Mr. Naudio
04-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Not an expert but dont agree with the 6x9s in rear bench.
Imaging is going to be better if all the highs are placed as high as possible on the sides.
Understand though that somtimes this may not be an option.
As far as enclosures for the subs they will always hit harder in the right box.
If you want to be a really hard hitter as far as the bass its a must.
Alot of people I have encountered want bass for the overall sound quality gaines achieved by crossing over the lower frequencies to subs (enclosed or not).Thus allowing the smaller 6.5s, 6x9s,components, ect.To play much louder and cleaner as they will only be expected to reproduce the frequencies in the higher range which they are better suited for.
This can be done without box,s
Again they will never hit as hard as the same driver in a box.
But you may not want that kind of bass or are unwilling to give up the storage.
Dam I hate typing.