PDA

View Full Version : Procharger-Results good or bad

XPLDAVID
05-30-2001, 03:10 PM
I am considering the purchase of a procharger for my 454 Mag engine. Would like to here the results of someone else using one. Thanks, David

GotTheFever
05-30-2001, 07:28 PM
You may have seen my post, questioning tuning the Procharger. The installation manual goes over how they recommend to tune your engine, but finding the right combination of performance and reliability can be difficult. I believe that I am close, and love these things. Most of the Procharger claims showing a 10+ mph gain requires a boost level of at least 5 psi. I’ve got a larger boat, and went with the more conservative 3.5 psi of boost. As a result, I only saw about a 5 mph gain. I did not want to push the engines or out drives too much. My boat is a 1993, 32’ Fountain Fever that weighs about 8000 lbs loaded. It has twin carbureted 502s, and is not a stepped hull. This past Memorial Day weekend I raced 2 newer boats, both with the newer 502 EFIs engines and step hulls. The first was a 33’ Scarab who I took with no problem. The second was a 32’ Fountain, who I had about a 1-2 mph advantage on. Not bad for a 9 year old boat.
So yes, I would recommend the purchase of a ProCharger, but weigh how many miles per hour you want to gain against reliability, then choose the package that provides you with the boost level you need. If you have stock exhaust, I would recommend getting something that flows a little better, regardless of the system you choose. And yes, you will need a new prop.

scarab
06-03-2001, 04:47 PM
I don't know about prochargers but i have a Whipplecharger and love it. I've had it on my 454 Scarab for two years and it has performed perfect. It is very highly engineered, top quality. I picked up 10-12mph. on 5lb booast. I installed it myself over a weekend. Food for thought.

RIVERTIME
06-03-2001, 07:45 PM
Anyone have any experience super charging a 350 mag? Most people I talk to tell me not to waste the money because I won't get enoungh torque to turn a bigger prop.

ponponracing
06-03-2001, 08:27 PM
A blower will give you a good power gain from what you initially had with your 350Mag motor. Period.
What you had was not a lot to start with. But you will see a gain.
From 260 hp, may be you will go to 400 hp. May be a little more, depending on boost numbers. By the way, whatever the way you bring boost, the power will be close to the same. Whipple, Pro, super charger will give you almost similar results. I said almost. Reliability is another story.
Before investing a lot of money in a blown small block Chevy, have a look at the price of a big block Chevy, that will give you a lot of torque and power, may be even more than your small block Chevy.
But if you have the heack of a good deal on a small block blower, use it. Your boat will be transformed. But if you have a 350 mag, you problably also have an Alpha drive, and it won't take a lot more than 300 horses and same number in torque.

RIVERTIME
06-05-2001, 08:24 PM
The motor I have is a 1999. It was rated at 300hp from Merc. I also got the Bravo 1 drive because I knew eventually I could not leave well enough alone. Is there any listings that show the torque ratings of these motors?

XPLDAVID
06-06-2001, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am still trying to decide if I should get the Procharger or not. David

RiverDave
06-06-2001, 01:08 PM
Time to step up to the plate Dave. When in doubt buy it, that's my philosophy!! Talk to you later. RiverDave.

ULTRA28
06-07-2001, 09:17 PM
Rivertime, I have done quite a few procharger set ups. All with great results. Your 350 mag bravo package will amaze you with a procharger. I believe it was Cole that put one in a 28' boat and had it doing around 75. I'm going to be trying one soon in one of my 21' boats to see how it works.

RIVERTIME
06-07-2001, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I almost bought one last year but A couple of local boat shops (Riverside county, ca) talked me out of it saying I would be lucky if I saw 5 mph. I was then thinking about replacing my engine or trying Land and Seas "Stern Jack" It doesen't seem like to many people are using 350's on this sie.

Frank Civitano
06-09-2001, 04:43 AM
I have a procharger on my 22ZX I love it I gained 12mph at 5 boost went from 68 to 80mph. One piece of Info, I f you have over 200hrs on any motor dont do it! The engine cant take the boost after the motor has wear on her! Other the that I have had the procharger 2 years.