PDA

View Full Version : Battery help

phebus
04-17-2004, 09:41 AM
I need to know what would be the best battery system to install. Presently, there are four blue top Optimas in the boat, but it is time to replace them. One is for starting, and goes to number 1 on the Perko switch, and the other three are for the stereo and go to number 2 on the Perko switch.
One of my concerns, is the load placed on the alternator by the stereo battery bank, and don't know if they should even go to the Perko or just go straight to the stereo system. Charging would be done each evening with an external charger.
My other concern is what battery's to replace the Optimas with. New Optimas, or a 6V system. I also don't know if I go with the Optimas if I want to dedicate three for the stereo, or drop down to two, and if I go with the 6V system if I should go with two or four. Weight is a concern. Also if I go with the 6V system, I'm not sure what the best way to mount them would be.
Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Rick

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I won't comment on the 6 volts.
However, I wouldn't run your system directly to the batteries. Amps have capacitance built-in, which will drain your batteries while sitting (even if the stereo and amps are off).
My solution? Two Perko switches and a big-ass alternator. With that, you can control what gets charged (or not charged) by the alternator, and you can turn everything off for storage.

phebus
04-17-2004, 09:58 AM
How do the two switches wire in, and do I really gain much by having the alternator charge the stereo battery's? From what I've read in the past, run time is usually not enough to recharge the battery's anyway, but maybe the larger alternator changes that.
Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2004, 10:15 AM
If you use the battery bank as a stand-alone system, just wire another Perko (on-off) switch before your circuit breaker. That way, you can turn the batteries off when it's stored.
If you want the alternator to be able to charge all the batteries, just wire the Perkos together, with each battery to it's own position. That's how I did mine.
Like this, I know that #1 on the #1 switch is my starting battery, and the others are my deep cycle. If I park the boat, and I am listening to the stereo with the engine off, I merely switch to the deep cycle batteries. When I start the boat to leave, I can either switch back to the starting battery, or leave it on one (or more) of the deep cycles to get a charge to them.
Yes, each battery is a load on the alternator (I wouldn't recommend trying to charge a big bank of deep cycles), but individually, a 100 amp alternator can really put a dent in a depleted deep cycle battery or two...depending on how much you run your boat.
To your point, if you only go from the LHC Marina to the channel...it won't help much...if you know what I mean.

phebus
04-17-2004, 10:26 AM
If the water is good, we do a lot of boating. I just want to be prepared for the days when it is blowing hard, and sitting for long periods is a reality.

Havasu Hangin'
04-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by phebus
If the water is good, we do a lot of boating. I just want to be prepared for the days when it is blowing hard, and sitting for long periods is a reality.
Tough call. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. It's all a tradeoff.

shadow
04-17-2004, 11:38 AM
I used to kill 4 optimas in less than an hour.my solution was one
battery Lifeline appears to be your average 8d but it's not.weighs about 130 lbs.last weekend cranked my system for about 8hrs straight at full throttle and still started the boat.I've got 2 of them never had to use the second in an 8hr session.this is the third year cranking no problem.pm me if your interested

ROZ
04-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by shadow
battery Lifeline appears to be your average 8d but it's not.weighs about 130 lbs.last weekend cranked my system for about 8hrs straight at full throttle and still started the boat.I've got 2 of them never had to use the second in an 8hr session.this is the third year cranking no problem.pm me if your interested
Locogringo also uses the 8d battery in his system without any problems...

phebus
04-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Will the standard alternator work with an 8D battery, or do you have to upgrade to a 100+ amp one?

phebus
04-17-2004, 01:59 PM
A few more questions:
Who makes the one's people are using?
How much do they cost?
On the Lifeline battery website, it lists the 8D battery as 162lbs, how the hell do you lower that into the bilge? (hernia, and something broken on the boat)

shadow
04-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Lifeline is the brand I use,I don't think you'll find an alternator to keep up.and yes your wife won't be able to lift this battery into the boat.External battery at night and you don't have to worry about the alt situation. Lifeline batteries are sealed,fiberglass matt. they can be mounted sideways,upside down,on end, no worries about leaking.If you charge them properly they claim they will last 10 years.I've gone to bed forgot to charge mine and the next day cranked again with no problems.The generator set up looks like a sweet set up,other than that to me there is no other battery solution,this set up has never let me down,as i've seen others with any amount of power to their system shutting down at some point throughout the day.

Essex29
04-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Lifeline is the brand I use,I don't think you'll find an alternator to keep up.and yes your wife won't be able to lift this battery into the boat.External battery at night and you don't have to worry about the alt situation. Lifeline batteries are sealed,fiberglass matt. they can be mounted sideways,upside down,on end, no worries about leaking.If you charge them properly they claim they will last 10 years.I've gone to bed forgot to charge mine and the next day cranked again with no problems.The generator set up looks like a sweet set up,other than that to me there is no other battery solution,this set up has never let me down,as i've seen others with any amount of power to their system shutting down at some point throughout the day.
What exactly are you running for 8 hours?? And on how many 8d's?

ROZ
04-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by TheGreyGoose
What exactly are you running for 8 hours?? And on how many 8d's?
His stereo (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41974)

Essex29
04-18-2004, 12:40 PM
full throttle for 8 hours.....impressive! Post some specifics on the battery charge time, cost etc.
By the way Nice looking system!

shadow
04-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Charge time completely drained is about 25 hrs at 10amp charge.
Rarely do mine ever get that low.I,ve got 2 in my boat but normally only rely on one.Second is for back up or for long weekends without any charging.With the two I can crank 3 days no charge but normally like to charge every night when boat is back on the trailer.They used to cost about $500 and I think now
they in the $300-$400 range.I'm not at home now but will get more info and post later.The downside is weight,size and initial cost.But how much will 4 optimas run you then another $100 each
for billet hold downs.You do the math.No matter how low they get ,the piece of mind knowing my boats still gonna start makes it
all worth it to me.

shadow
04-19-2004, 07:39 AM
In case anybody is interested,Here's who to call and the phone.
I talked with him this am and I belive he will take care of Hot boat
members.Just tell him Darrell sent you.
Dave-(626)969-6886.
They retail for about $430 and he said he'll let em go for $390

Essex29
04-19-2004, 08:53 AM
What charger are you using?

shadow
04-19-2004, 09:24 AM
the way I charge mine is with your typical roll around charger.Kinda big to lift in and out of the boat,but you can extend the cables and leave it on the ground.There is a chart as to exactly how to charge these batteries.by checking the voltage with a multimeter then refering to the chart,this tell you exactly how long to charge without over or under charging it.I'll pm you with my # give me a call.

locogringo
04-20-2004, 10:47 PM
as Roz mentioned, I run a 8D also though it is an Interstate. I almost bought the Lifeline but didn't think it was completely sealed. I will probably trade out to the Lifeline model instead now that I know that. I also run two Interstate 24's (or 27 ,not sure of the difference) for backup. I've been running this setup for quite a while with no problems at all.
Total watts are right under 5000. They do weigh alot so if you are greatly concerned with speed, this may not be the way to go. I do get 72 in a 29 Magic though with a 500HP so I don't think the 140 pounds did that much damage.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Loco.

h2oski2fast
04-20-2004, 11:05 PM
battery Lifeline appears to be your average 8d but it's not.weighs about 130 lbs.last weekend cranked my system for about 8hrs straight at full throttle (distorted!) and still started the boat.I've got 2 of them never had to use the second in an 8hr session.this is the third year cranking no problem.pm me if your interested
That's because your amps keep shuttin down!!!!!!:D
BTW....... That's my 3rd or 4th favorite paint job!!!!!!
See ya at the Heatwave!
Dennis