PDA

View Full Version : Super Charging 502 Mag.

27 Fever
06-12-2001, 05:58 PM
Need some help! I just bought a 1998 27 Fountain. The boat runs really good in rough water, but in smooth could have more at the throttle. I have been trying to decide between the new Vortech system or the Whipple. The sales guys at some of the shops are just trying to sell me anything. I want real life useage experince. I have 502 Mag EFI with 145 hours. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Laveyman
06-12-2001, 09:35 PM
Everyone I know has been 110% satisfied with the Whipple system. Most of the high performance engine builders out this way seem to agree that the Whipple system is the one to beat right now. They've got the ECU dialed in and it is ultra smooth. I went out in my friends 27 Lavey cat with a Whippled HP500EFI two weeks ago. HOLY SMOKES BATMAN!!! It flew! It also idled for as long as you wanted with absolutely no sign of there being a supercharger under the hatch. In fact, the boost guage didn't even show us running in boost until about 3800-400 RPM. And then look out!!!
If you want an honest opinion from a very well respected mechanic, call Jim Wilkes at Wilkes Marine in Santa Ana, CA. Jim will talk flat out and honest with you about all of the different blowers on the market. After all is said and done, he recommends the Whipple, even though he is best friends with the owner of Vortech Marine. I don't have Jim's number handy, but if you have a copy of Hot Boat magazine handy, look under the V-drive tech section. Jim is the guy who answers all of these questions. His number is there.

formula93
06-19-2001, 07:02 AM
27 Fever !! If you email me a fax #, I will send you a comparison article of superchargers by Poker Runs America.
I run a procharger myself and am 120% satisfied !! That 10% more than the Whipple !
Just kidding.....make your own choice on that. I can say here in Oklahoma, we have more shoreline than the entire length of the East & west costs combined ! & we have over 650 miles of natural sand beach on my lake alone ! Lots of high performance boats here, but NOT ONE has a Whipple on it !! I can't say exactly why that is but it do not know of anyone that has ever lost an outdrive with a Procharger....it's just the way it builds power I guess...from low mid-range on up rather than immediately or constantly under boost. But, it's not just a WHIPPLE vs PROCHARGER thing anymore since VORTECH has entered the picture. I do know, the intercooler on the Procharger almost Super cools the air, it is so efficient.
Send the fax#, read the article and make your choice. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

spectras only
06-19-2001, 10:21 AM
vortech was the king for stangers for a long time,but since procharger decided to accomodate the carbuffs,the speed shops started chanting procharger,procharger....They used to talk me down when I mentioned procharger before.How little they knew!

27 Fever
06-20-2001, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I have called all over the country talking to motor shops that have installed all three of the brands ,Pro-charger , Whipple & Vortech and the response I got was Vortech! Not only did it work but it fit nice, no hook ups. The installation they said would take about 8 hours. With that and prop change its ready for the water. So I will see what happens my 570 HP kit is on the way. Should be on the boat by June 30. I will let you know what it does, or doesnt do. Thanks for the suggestions.
[This message has been edited by 27 Fever (edited June 20, 2001).]

formula93
06-20-2001, 01:06 PM
CAUTION::::
anyone that sez, bolt it on and go is misleading you !!
Any engine that a blower is added to or any induction modification is made too will require retuning for the fuel & ignition curves. I guarantee you will smoke your motor if you add the Vortech and do not rejet & modify the carb or injectors/pump & ecm. Use extreme caution here looking for lean conditions through out the rpm range.
just my .02

Never Satisfied
06-21-2001, 06:44 PM
I too have talked to many proffesional engine builders and from what I gather both whipple and procharger are great!! I don't think you want to bolt any of these on without a inner cooler system. If you run over 5 psi you had better get new head bolts and titanium valves and head gaskets!! P.S. if you don't put new headers on your forcing air into something that can't get it out very good with stock exhaust!! Call Tyler Crockett or Baker engineering for the real story on these chargers, they are both located in Michigan. Good Luck!!

skijake
06-23-2001, 08:16 AM
Good Luck with your Vortech.
But like Formula said you better have it set up right alot of the set ups with EFI can be tricky and they will lean the engine when you least expected and then your being towed back and spending big bucks to get back on the water.
I've seen both the twin screw (whipple) and centrifigals making unbelievable horsepower and can be very reliablebut just make sure your EFI is calibrated for it or run carbs.
They do make a nice sleeper to have a boat with a stock engine cover and idling like it stock and yet go out and blow away a boat with the big cams and modified engine scoops
Enjoy the water

ponponracing
06-23-2001, 08:28 AM
NeverSatisfied,
don't, I mean don't, run titanium valves with regular gas, particularly unleaded. Don't use titanium valves were there is possibility of water draw back. According to me, I probably just saved you an engine.

needforspeed2
06-24-2001, 02:36 PM
I think what he ment to say was inconel valves .. HPH

Dave F
06-25-2001, 07:37 AM
whipple

mister460
06-25-2001, 11:44 AM
Dave just wanted to say "whipple." Hey, that is kinda fun! Whipple!

27 Fever
06-25-2001, 05:48 PM

27 Fever
06-25-2001, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the warnings, I tried to do some research before I purchased the Vortech System. I spoke with Bob Teague& Joey Griffin they both had real great things to say about the system. Bob Endress, the designer really put a lot of work into the system. Yes it does have a large innercooler,separate fuel pump,and re-programed ECM. They are pretty new to the market, but I hope to have a good report for you all.

INDY27
07-15-2001, 04:04 AM
27 Fever How about the Vortech?Tell us how she runs!
[This message has been edited by INDY27 (edited July 15, 2001).]

gimprvr
08-29-2001, 04:42 PM
Well? How'd she do? Were all eager to know, did she blow?

INDY27
09-01-2001, 05:34 AM
I think 27 Fever was just blowing SMOKE!

ponponracing
09-01-2001, 08:07 PM
He guys,
and this is just my opinion, and I don't know how good you think it is, but whatever you put on those turkey, (read motors), to make them give more power without any modifications is called a bandaid. Maybe it will work, particularly in small boat application where you wont go WOT (wide open throttle) for a long period of time, but remember your motor was not prepared for such a demand. If it works for your boat, you should thank God.
It's a common situation that people spend a lot of money on their rig and don't want to spend the big money performance motors cost, so they look for a bandaid. But when you run a big boat that can keep high rpm for a long period of time, because that particular rig is stable at any speed, it won't last. Period.
Every new boating season, there is a new guy coming with a new awsome 40 footer that has been sold with one of those easy bolt on power, and it doesn't last. And I'm not talking about months, I'm talking about hours.
Every year, there are a couple of rookies doing Poker Run that were convinced those bolt on power gain would work, and they finish their day of boating being tow back home.
That's how it is. I'm not God. Thanks. But that, I know it for sure. If you don't agree, keep dreaming.