PDA

View Full Version : Why a Superchiller??

Nordic79
09-06-2000, 06:07 PM
Understand how an intercooler works, but why do very few drag boats use them??Are they that much of an advantage on the water with all the cool water going through the engine?Not sure the 1500-1800 bucks is worth it.I just dont see very many intercoolers on fast boats.If they work I do want one.Help me out here racers.

dropkeel
09-11-2000, 03:13 PM
Hey man! I think they are worth the bucks for the 25ft Cats and such on the larger lakes that cruise a fairly long distance then stab em hard. For lake racing I would overdrive the piss out of it and put a blown motor on methanol! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Hard to get them buddies warmed up anyway http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

elimnatr
09-11-2000, 04:35 PM
Intercooler are worth there money in gold.You see the intercooler drops the air temp. alot thus giving you more horsepower. We run them on or super charged 500 hp's. Buddy put a cool charger on his boat without a intercooler runns significantly slower.

Nordic79
09-12-2000, 12:41 PM
When you say 500HP motors you mean offshore boats?Like dropkeel said they would work better on long distance boats.Still not sure if they would be worth the money on short distance runs with cool water running through the motor.Dragboats anyone out there use intercoolers?

superdave013
09-13-2000, 06:25 PM
I don't know what drag boat races you have been going to, but I used one and alot of other people use them too. You won't see one on an alky or top fuel deal but us guys on gas use them all the time. I had a little pump to move water thru it when waiting at the holding rope and then force fed it when making the pass. I ran 28psi of boost with VP-C16 fuel. I over RPMed it and scattered it a few times but never burnt pistions.
I sold the boat but still have the engine. Going in my schiada soon.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited September 13, 2000).]

Nordic79
09-14-2000, 03:22 AM
Has been a few years since I have been to the Boat drags.28lbs of boost?Damn thats some boost.Was that with turbos or supercharger?So you are saying that they DO work and would be worth the investment?Thanks for your input SuperDave!!

superdave013
09-15-2000, 01:41 AM
That's with a supercharger with an Enderle birdcatcher fuelinjector hat. You could not make that kind of boost with carbs. (and don't think about it with pump gas) I restripped the rotors every race! Anyway I checked out your web page. You have a nice looking peice but i have to say when I went to the river I looked for guys like you. Sorry, but I would have picked on ya! Intercoolers work and will help you be able to step up your blower with out hurting pistons as easy. If you engine has been together as long as you say it might be time to do some maintance. When blowers wear and start getting out of time they just quit working as well. Maybe you should send yours off to be checked out. Be sure you tell them how you use it. They set them up tighter for drag racing and you would not want to run one set up that way around the lake all day. You should run your boat at the local drags if you can. That's how I tuned mine to run better (alot) than the ave river racer.