PDA

View Full Version : Procharging HP500EFI in Ultra 247XS

NashvilleBound
12-16-2001, 07:34 PM
I own a 2001 Ultra 247XS. I have all the high end options already....I would like to put a Vortech system on it too. But would like to know any info, good and bad, from the readers and pros. I have a very reliable pro shop thats going to do the work. I am going 85 now and would like to know best case for the finished product. Pictures? Articles? Thanks, Jeff

rivercrazy
12-17-2001, 08:57 AM
Yikes. How much faster do you want to go in that rig? That's movin. As far as I know, Whipple has the best system for that motor. Check them out while your learning about the Pro-Charger.

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-17-2001, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound:
I own a 2001 Ultra 247XS. I have all the high end options already....I would like to put a Vortech system on it too. But would like to know any info, good and bad, from the readers and pros. I have a very reliable pro shop thats going to do the work. I am going 85 now and would like to know best case for the finished product. Pictures? Articles? Thanks, Jeff
Now that is smoking!!! That is one of the most efficient hulls I've seen yet. What did Ultra28 or Froggystyle have to say? You should email them seeing that they are the source of all things Ultra http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

froggystyle
12-17-2001, 10:13 PM
I suspect as a finished result, it will be faster! Do you have a drive in place that is up to the added horsepower you will be applying? The pro-charger is designed to work well with your motor, so that should be no drama if installed correctly. I don't know of a faster 247 than what you will be building, but I have confidence in the hull. Just make sure you check off all of the safety boxes, and take any ventures past what is already proven safe (speed wise) very carefully, and without other boaters to interfere with your testing, or put at risk.
Good luck on the endeavor, and I would love to put some pictures of your ride on the website if you wish to e-mail them to the webmaster at webmaster@ultraboats.com
Have a blast!

NashvilleBound
12-18-2001, 03:33 PM
Froggystyle:
I have the Merc racing XZ drive that should handle the added HP. Speaking of safety I already have WPM's external steering, and Dana's Off shore Tabs. Though it looks like I am gonna have to get a new speedo.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
I am having the entire system installed by a racing distributor that I have full confidence in.
I will send pics as soon as I can... most are off digital movie camera so I will try to get crystal clear ones.
Jeff

rivercrazy
12-18-2001, 03:43 PM
Post some pics of you boat when you get a chance

25 Eagle
12-19-2001, 04:43 PM
Nashville...is that 85mph on a GPS? Sounds high for what you have.

NashvilleBound
12-19-2001, 05:05 PM
I have not had a chance for a radar run yet...I look forward to it. Even if its off a little, I am sure its 82+...

Ithyn
12-19-2001, 10:17 PM
http://www.ultraboats.com/ultra/html/gallery/archive/galleryone/images/80mph%20Pass1.jpg
Here is a picture of the boat. A little fuzzy but you get the idea.
Here is a link to three other pictures of the boat
http://www.ultraboats.com/ultra/html/gallery/archive/galleryone/index2.htm
[This message has been edited by Ithyn (edited December 19, 2001).]

racingrascal
12-20-2001, 11:49 PM
Nice looking boat, like the paint sceem!
Andy

NashvilleBound
12-22-2001, 07:07 PM
To everyone that has responded on and off this board: Some of you have asked about meeting up next season. We just booked our first week at Lake Nacimiento(by Hurst Castle) June 15-22. If you have never been there and your in CA, it's beautiful. Just write me and I will send you the link..... Jeff

dcb4life
12-25-2001, 10:27 PM
I owned a DCB Extreme 24, which is the same mold as the Ultra 247. You have a 500 EFI? Going 85 mph? I had a 525SC and added a Super chiller, MSD Ignition, and sea strainers. My top speed was about 84-85 GPS. Are u sure that your speedo is correct? To tell u the truth, if u want to go that fast, but a tunnel.. It's too damn scary in that boat. It chines at high speeds, like all step bottoms. I'll tell u this, I bought a DCB Mach 26 and will never turm back to a Vee bottom. This is just my .02 so don't take it personally. Going any faster in that boat isn't worth the money

NashvilleBound
12-26-2001, 06:15 AM
dcb4life: Nothings written in stone yet...I am on a fact finding mission.
I still beleive I am doing mid 80's.
I like to race anything on the water and when were all done I talk/party with who ever and it just seems to confirm my speeds..If I do this, part of the package will be a GPS speedo. Just to give ya'll piece of mind http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I do allot of skiing/boarding/etc and don,t think a tunnel is right for me.
I am very happy with this ride. At top speed it's solid. The large Dana offshore tabs add for safty. Thanks for your ".02" anyways, that's what this is all about. When/if something happens I will post it.....

boatnam2
12-26-2001, 08:00 AM
im with you nb,i had an american offshore cat for three years.it was sweet hauled ass,but just not enough room. i just brought home my new laveycraft2750 it has a teauge 620 hp.taken it out tommorow for the first time.it was lake tested last week and ran 83 on flat flat water,so with a little chop and wind and some breaking in time i hope it will run around 86 or so.not bad for a 28ft boat that holds a shit load of people and will handle the rough stuff.the numbers the boat ran the other day were 5400rpm 1.50xr drive 28p bravo.i will get my own numbers tommorow.

racingrascal
12-26-2001, 09:59 AM
dcb4life, you must of had a hell of a lot of people in that boat or else it was a 252sc becuase I have driven a 247 with a 377 in it and it runs (gps and radar) 75mph. So if you were going 9-10 mph faster and had at least 150-200 hp more there was something wrong with your boat. Or the prop was way wrong??? "just my .02"
Andy

Starloans
12-26-2001, 06:29 PM
Ok, NB if you say you are going 85 then I believe it. I do agree with Eagle, it does sound kind of high. I do think dcb4 life is more in line with the speed estimates with his prior rig. I disagree with Rascal, however. I'm sure it was not a 252SC. I did read the article in Jan ***boat which is the very boat I believe Rascal is referring to. 377 Scorpion w/360hp @ 75 mph for that boat actually sounds kind of high. I'm familiar with everything the article list except the prop. I don't believe I have seen a 23inch prop on that size of boat. Normally the props come in even pitch sizes and are about 15.25 inches across. Rascal, can you verify the specs on that 377 247xs? 360 hp 1.5:1 gears, 5200rpm 24 feet about 4000lbs wet? What is the prop exactaly? With the specs in hand some of the prop guys can calculate the speed this boat should be going. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to rile anyone here. That is a kick ass boat NB. Ultra28 has my boat on hold but I can't take delivery yet. I was in a lake lice accident early this year and ordered a boat from him but its taking a long time to get the med bills paid. 65K. 18 screws in my hip. Insurance will pay but I have to make payments until its paid or they will hammer my credit. So obviously I don't have a prob with Ultra.
Now here is why I say all of this. My buddy has a 97 dcb24 extreme. Yes the same hull as the 247xs. He has a 454 mag mpi 385 hp no mods. Recent service engine is in top shape. 61 on gps, 62 on speedo @ 5150 rpm with 2 fat asses and gas. I have driven that boat many times. Bravo 24P prop. He called a prop guy about lab finish and ask by the way what speed should I be going? The guy did some calculations and told him......62mph. Now we either need to lose some weight, the prop guy is an idiot or my buddy needs a small block. Anybody?

jeff-in-ky
12-27-2001, 04:18 AM
I know it is not the same boat but I had a 24' Baja H2X with the 300hp 454 and it ran 62-63 mph on gps. It had a 23p Mirage prop. I am sure the 247xs is a faster hull than the Baja, so while 85 mph may be a little fast, 61 mph with 385 hp seems way slow.
JB

Starloans
12-27-2001, 09:00 AM
Jeff,
I thought 61 was slow too. Only thing I can figure is maybe the x deminsion. His shaft seems to be about 6 inches below the pad. I believe the rpms to be correct @ 5150 which would be close to the limiter but not verified. The guys @ Ultra know there stuff. Maybe they lightened up the hull and tweeked the setup on there 247xs.

Racing Ray
12-27-2001, 12:06 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

NashvilleBound
12-27-2001, 12:53 PM
Ok, for the sake of argument lets say I go 82..80..I don't sweat the small stuff. All I want to find out is approx. where I will be after the new system is on....Right now I turn @5300rpm, 26 Bravo1 prop and I am afraid to really put the throttle all the way forward when I am alone in the boat as it kills me to hear the rev limiter hit.
The 5k range already gets on my nerves...I had a 28p but didn't really get to test it properly. I talked to Vortech and they say the new systems are @750 ponies...I wish someone out there could do the math for me with a 30-32 prop...

dcb4life
12-27-2001, 01:52 PM
Well, the motor in my 24 DCB was a Mercruiser 525SC...Not a 252SC...sorry. I'm just trying to be realistic, nothing else. It just seems too fast for that boat.Unless Ultra lightened the hull. Maybe. One of you said that the 24xs went 75 with the 377? In the ***boat performance trials it only went 70....Maybe a different prop? Who knows. That does seem a little more realistic. Something was done to the hull to make it faster...I mean come on Dave and Mr. West do know each other pretty well! It's their little secret.Oh yeah, Dana tabs do work well with that boat..I had them too..You'll be using them a lot when it starts chine walking. I have another question for you...Why do you race everyone? Is that what this is all about? Whatever happened to "cruising" at havasu? It seems as though the fastest boats cruise and the ones trying to be fast(vees) always drive fast just to keep up....Just my .02...To tell u the truth, if your worried about space in your boat, my tunnel has way more space than my vee bottom...Just food for thought.......

Starloans
12-27-2001, 02:00 PM
Ray,
If he has 20% slip what do you think the prob is? I believe the prop guy on the phone said he was using 10% slip to calculate. I think the boat should be going about 68 mph. But what the hell do I know. I don't know how to do the calculations.
Nashville you are on the right path. Don't stop until you get it the way you want it. good luck. Its still a kick ass boat.

Havasu Hangin'
12-27-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Starloans:
I don't know how to do the calculations.
I use this calculator (http://boatpropellers.com/propcalc.html). All you need is some basic info (RPMs, gear ratio, prop pitch, correct speed) and you can figure out the slip (or inefficiency).
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif
[This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited December 27, 2001).]

rivercrazy
12-27-2001, 02:33 PM
I went for a ride in the 247XS with the 377 small block. With 4 guys in the boat it brushed 70 on the speedo. Keep in mind these were not GPS'd. It was a cool day with temps in the mid 60's and a good deal of windchop

NashvilleBound
12-27-2001, 02:40 PM
dcb4life...I think you are painting the wrong picture. I like to play.
That includes cruising, wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, racing (when conditions are right)..and just having a good time all around.

NashvilleBound
12-27-2001, 02:43 PM
Starloans....18 screws eh? Ouch. What kind of accident was it? Will you be able to ski again?

ULTRA28
12-27-2001, 02:48 PM
We did not lighten up or lay up from what DCB used to do. Our lay up is just as heavy if not heavier than the DCB. The bottom has had some changes made, along with some experimenting with x-dimensions. The boat calculates out to having about 6% slip, I know it sounds like BS, but do the calcs yourself. 71 MPH, 1.5 gear, 23 pitch prop, 5200 RPM. Nashvillebounds boat is doing about 82MPH. The boat RacingRascal tested did just over 74 with a 24 pitch prop, 5200 rpm with 1.5 gears. We usually put the 23 offshore prop with the 247XS scorpion package, the boat seems to love it, though it only gives 71 mph.

NashvilleBound
12-27-2001, 02:56 PM
John, Thanks. I just did the calcs with 6%, 1.5, 5300, 26P..right at 82
I am going to switch the Gaffrig II for the GPS on the next go around before summer.

jeff-in-ky
12-27-2001, 03:14 PM
NB- There is also a good prop calculator AND speed calculator on BAM Marine's website www.go-fast.com (http://www.go-fast.com)
If you assume the following in the speed calc
weight-5000#
HP-470
constant-275 (this equates to 6-8% slip)
Your top speed = 84 mph
If you change the hp to 750 your top speed goes to 107 mph.
I know this is not realistic and is probably way beyond what the hull will handle but it is interesting.
BTW- are you truly Nashville bound? I live about 70 mi. from there.
JB

dcb4life
12-27-2001, 04:02 PM
Nashvillebound....No hard feelings man. Just giving you a hard time!! See you on the river!

NashvilleBound
12-27-2001, 04:43 PM
Jeff, I think your a tad heavy on the weight.... We usually spend the first part of June at Lake Naci in CA then come home for about 3 days to pack for TN. We stay in Murfreedsboro till Sept. We are trying to sell our house (saradaryl.com house in VC) then we will be out in TN full time. Hopefully this house will go by March, CA is way too crowded. In TN we go out on Center Hill 4 days a week, never cross a wake, you can count your toes 5 feet down, and its like bath water warm. Whats even better its not like CA lakes where they charge you up to $30 to use it(for 1 day) ITS FREE.....

NashvilleBound
12-27-2001, 04:51 PM
dcb4life...It's all good.

Racing Ray
12-27-2001, 04:55 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

NashvilleBound
01-05-2002, 09:31 PM
The boat show in San Diego was good. Ultra by far had the best product. It was nice meeting some of the posters on this board too.

HBjet
01-05-2002, 11:58 PM
It was good to meet you and the family as well. Let us know next time your going out boating.
HBjet
PS, here is a picture of Andy's motor.
http://home.socal.rr.com/boatbutts/motorshow2.jpg

Whipple Charged
01-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Nashville bound,
I would make sure you install a system that comes with a reprogrammed ECU. Only Vortech and we have that. I'm not if Vortech ever finished that system or not though. The stock computer is not made for a supercharger and does not work properly the way some design it. The knock system is not activated, motor runs pig rich, etc. We have developed a new system for the 500, might want to check it out, it's killer looking. We also have 2 of our older systems that were letting go at smoking prices to move.
If your going to do a lot of skiing, boarding, etc., then you need a system that planes fast and has good torque numbers down low, centrifugals typically give you mainly top end which will somewhat defeat the your purpose.
Hope this helps,
Dustin

NashvilleBound
01-11-2002, 05:49 AM
The Whipple system is the only other under consideration. I am taking everything into account. This is not nearly as simple of a project nor as cheap as it once was. I was hoping to get some $$ relief for some advertising but it looks like it's going to hurt. If you do work for Whipple send me your latest intel..I can send you my address via EMail..
Thanks, Jeff

Whipple Charged
01-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Nashvillebound,
You can email me at dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com, I'll send you some info.
Thanks,
Dustin