PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse has marine speaker for 2004

ROZ
05-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Since I posted this over on www.kwicherbichens.com , I figured it should go here as well...
http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/speaker/integrated/image/sm8263pic.jpg
Sm8263
Woofer Size: 6-1/2
Continuous Power Handling: 60W
Music Power Handling: 120W
Frequency Response: 70Hz-20Hz
Sensitivity: 985dB
Cone Woofer: Polyprolylene, UV-protected
Tweeter Dome: Treated aluminum, UV-protected
Tweeter Magnet Material: Neodymium
Grille Material: Polycarbonite plastic, UV-protected
Mounting Depth: 3-1/2
Note the 6 bolt hole mount on the grill....
Just thought it could be another option for those who're looking for an alternative to what's already out there...

LVjetboy
05-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Obvious question...
How different is a "marine speaker" from non-marine? Huge and technically significant or mostly marketing hype? The key issue. Both can have polyprolylene cones, uv protection not sure but seems likely given the uv exposure in a typical car, plastic vs painted steel grill no big deal unless maybe you boat salt. Even then, a rusted steel grill may protect better than flimsy plastic.
Just curious.
I've used non-marine for awhile and w/low freeboard they do get wet. I'm talking watching water pools buzz off the cones when the bass kicks in. Not intended use for these speakers no doubt, but how much better are the marines w/uv protection their defining asset? And at what if any sacrifice to sound quality and selection? Do marine systems come in 10-12" subs?
Does anyone have hard facts or experience with this issue?
jer

Havasu Hangin'
05-18-2004, 05:29 AM
It's been my experience that the only difference is a white plastic grill, and maybe some corrosion-resistant terminals and/or frame. Isn't all poly "UV protected"?
I think Alumapro makes some marine subs.
So I'm gonna say mostly marketing hype (the same guys who put that stuff in a boat also believe that Sony is high-quality).
:eek:

ROZ
05-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
Obvious question...
plastic vs painted steel grill no big deal unless maybe you boat salt. Even then, a rusted steel grill may protect better than flimsy plastic.
Some peeps may experience metal grills poping off in rough water. Most newer marine speaker's grills are screw-on. Also, the metal grills dent. The plastic actually holds up pretty well... There's usually a hole at the bottom of the trimring for water to drain as well.
I agree with HH that there is a lot of marketing hype behind the overpiced marine gear. Frankly so many of them sound like $hit. The marine speakers I've found that sound good are by the better manufacturers. Infinity Kappa marine, MB quart Nautica, and Alpine STM6666 6.5 coaxial are what I've heard and like. I'm not a big fan of Clarion marine speakers, but their headunits are by far the best built "marine" units out right now. They don't have sat radio or mp3 yet, though. RF and MBQuart have a marine headunit out that has a ton of bells and whistles, but they're new this year so the verdict is still out.
:)

LVjetboy
05-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks HH, ROZ. Guess I'll stick with the car stuff for now.